Thread: Another Newbie Thread (looking for advice, getting an Ikon)

Another Newbie Thread (looking for advice, getting an Ikon)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello,

First post on here, but have been reading (and searching) the site for a couple weeks now.

Im going to buy my first machine soon and have come down to 2 Breville machines (this is totally priced based, budget is $250.00 I cant go over this, although i wish i could especially after reading about all the nice machines on here for only slightly more)

So it is -
    Breville Ikon VS Breville Pro 800ES
    (Ive found both for $239.00 a piece so either or is fine for me price-wise)

Grinder is to come next as I have access to one at the moment (an EM0450 spare on loan from a friend which im also thinking of getting)

I have read numerous threads on here regarding both machines and have come to a conclusion that both are pretty similar except the 800ES is a thermoblock and the Ikon is a boiler.

Im definitely going to get 1-2 Cup Unpressurised Basket for either machine and get rid of the froth enhancer, along with a decent tamping tool.

The main reason for my post is to see which you think would be most suitable for myself, ill only be making approx. 3-4 coffees per day using the machine and would be usually no more than 2 at any one time.

Bearing this in mind which machine do you think would be the best buy for me?

I look forward to your responses and also any tips you can give will be greatly appreciated.

eggs :)

EDIT: After reading even more threads and also using google i have decided to go for the Ikon. Their owners seem to be much happier in general, Ill report back with my thoughts once i am up and running. Am still happy to get any tips from owners of the Ikon.

Re: Another Newbie Thread (looking for advice, getting an Ikon)

Hi Eggs and welcome to coffeesnobs!

You probably made the right choice, given your budget. Key to getting good results with any coffee machine is to use *fresh* beans and grind them just before brewing. And, of course, taking care when distributing the grinds, tamping, etc.

Reliably getting fresh beans, say about a week post-roasting, can be a bit of an issue. Most shops around where I live, cant really tell you when the beans they are selling were roasted. Supermarket beans are generally stale. *I suggest you try "Buy Brown" on the left of this page or talk to a local roaster. If you state where you are located, somebody will be able to help.

Cheers and have fun

Daniel

Caffeine Junky

I have only used the Ikon so cant comment on the 800. As you found out for yourself, most users on here seem to get good results with the Ikon. As mentioned by Dan, and as is true of any machine, fresh roasted and freshly ground beans are essential.

The only major advantage I can see with the 800 is that it has a 2 year warranty, comapred with 1 year for the Ikon.

Youve got to get non-pressurised baskets if you want decent coffee from the Ikon. With that budget, personally Id rather look at a used gaggia, perhaps a Rancilio Audrey if you can find one or a gaggia Carezza or equivalent. The advantage is they come with unpressurised baskets as standard.
    Did read somewhere that the Ikon suffers from shots getting too hot or too cold but not having used one myself, I cant say for sure.
    Their selling point is they look good on the bench and they are a boiler unit and they are cheap(-ish) but Id rather look at the alternatives Ive mentioned.

I use the Ikon at the shop and for steaming milk, it easily out performs the 6910 I have at home. The downside is waiting for the boiler to reach steaming temp makes making multiple cups quite slow.

As for shot temperature? no idea. Neither machine will be particularly temp stable I would think given the nature and price point of the machines in question.

Quote Originally Posted by 7A4C47485D465B290 link=1248348723/4#4 date=1248423726
    Neither machine will be particularly temp stable I would think given the nature and price point of the machines in question.
    IIRC the Sunbeam was proven to very temperature stable.

Thanks for all the replies, I picked up my Ikon today, price was $219.00 + $9.00 for the unpressurised basket (which they didnt have in stock so have ordered for me) from the Breville factory shop in Redfern NSW.

Have had 2 coffees from it so far and both have been quite good (2nd better than first). As this is my first machine and ive not had any training apart from reading things on the tinternet, i was quite impressed, must be from all the tips on here. (Also the Barista iPhone app which ive had for a while was my guide.)

The machine seems quite easy to use and clean, i now need to get myself some decent beans (currently using some i grabbed from the local shop on my way home so i could begin brewing ASAP!).

I also checked the Sunbeam factory shop as its close by and they had the EM0480 grinder for $149.99 so might get myself one next month (when ive got some more spends).