Thread: Help Please to Choose Machine

Help Please to Choose Machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Folks

I am new here but have been doing what I think is a large amount of research, only to find that I am even more confused now that I have more information.

I have the following choice of machines as I am going to use points so would really appreciate it if I could have some advice from anyone willing to help.

The machines are the Krups K2 Premium, Breville 400 Ikon, Breville 800 Professional and the Sunbeam Cafe Series EM6910. The Krups comes with a Krups Burr Grinder which would be good as I only have a blade grinder at the moment but can look at getting a grinder later on.

Any opinions would be greatly apprecitated :)

Re: Help Please to Choose Machine

What is your break the camels back max budget including grinder

Just a few dollars more on top of the 6910 from your list and you could have a well made brass boiler machine like the Nemox or the Silvia

KK

I am trying to use up some well earned altitude points rather than spend actual money ;D
    There are some other machine options such as the Gaggia but I had heard their bottom end range was quite cheap and nasty.

Caffeine Junky

Welcome kazu and good luck with your shopping.

The most important thing to appreciate is that a good grinder is going to be a far bigger factor on producing quality coffee than which of the above 4 machines you choose.

The Krups grinder is not up to scratch. The minimum quality grinder recommended by most on here is the Sunbeam EM0450 for ~$150.

The second factor to consider is that only the EM6910 comes with unpressurised baskets. The others come with double wall pressurised baskets which can be replaced with single wall unpressurised ones. Youre only looking at ~$15 for a new basket so this should not necessarily stop you for buying the other machines.

For me it would be between the Ikon and the EM6910.

As mentioned, the Krups grinders is not a worthwhile investment. The 800 is a similar machine to the Krups, both are single thermblock machines. The Breville has some extra features like volumetric programming and certainly looks better made. I have not used either of these machines so my opinions are only on appearance and what I have read.

The Ikon is quite a popular entry level machine among CS members. It is the only one of the 4 with a boiler. All the others use thermoblocks to heat the water. If you get yourself a single wall basket and good grinder youll be able to produce decent espresso and milk-based drinks.

I have used the Ikon and own an EM6910. The Sunbeam is definitely a step up in my opinion. It is the only machine out of the 4 which can brew and steam at the same time. This is important if you entertain a lot and want to make multiple coffees in a short period of time. It is also the only one that comes with unpressurised baskets.

So for me its the Ikon or EM6910 depending on your intended use. Again, a decent grinder is paramount.

Thanks Caffeine Junky for your help.
    I was looking at the EM6910 but was a little scared by how much I would need to learn to use it properly. I noticed the Ikon seems to be mentioned a lot and think i might be heading in that direction as it seems a bit easier to use than the SB.

Would the Breville Fresca (860) also be available from your list? That comes with a grinder, and is about the same price as the 6910.
    Sorry to complicate matters even further.

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 707A616E1B0 link=1248351534/4#4 date=1248354081
    Thanks Caffeine Junky for your help.
    I was looking at the EM6910 but was a little scared by how much I would need to learn to use it properly. I noticed the Ikon seems to be mentioned a lot and think i might be heading in that direction as it seems a bit easier to use than the SB.
    I would say if anything the Sunbeam is a little easier to use and would probably produce good coffee more consistently. Also, Im not sure if theyre still offering it but you used to get a free 2 hour barista course from Sunbeam when you bought the 6910.

Thanks for all your help, will have a think and go from there.

Cheers

Definatley go the 6910!! It is a better machine, better coffee and comes with a free barista course which goes through pretty much everything u need to know.
    Then save up and buy yourself a 4500 or 4800 SB grinder for $140-180 and u will not regret it and be making some ver good coffee- just pack away the preasurised baskets u get!! I can stress enough to get a decent burr grinder!!

With the 6910 & 4500/4800 combo u wont regret and will thank us... Were open to monetary gifts of appreciation!! ;D ;D

Dont touch the Krups, dont look at it or even entertain the idea of gettng one. Its like being faced with the option to get a Holden Calasis but the getting distracted by a Kia Carnival, and thinking that this might be a good car u and ur girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D3D3D333F36363535500 link=1248351534/8#8 date=1248701892
    With the 6910 & 4500/4800 combo u wont regret and will thank us...
    As an ex Silvia user I have to agree the Sunbeam EM6910 is the way to go, but make sure you have a decent grinder like the EM0480 and PLEASE do the free barista course *;)

absolutely do the free barista course it is very good. a friend did it and it improved his coffee hugely- and his coffees were not bad in the first place.
    They give you all the quirky hints about your machines and how to extract (excuse the pun) the most out of your machines!!

My previous machine was the Krups mentioned and the grinder is indeed a waste of space. I replaced mine with a KG100 straight away. The machine however I cannot fault, its produced coffees daily for 4 years now without fault. However, knowing what I know now...I wouldnt recommend one. Id go with a single boiler unit like the Ikon matched with SB EM450/EM0480 if youre on a tight budget.

Hi there, I am also new to CS, but not to a coffee machine, but am in desperate need of a new one.
    I like, Kazu have turned to reviews to try and find something useful and have gotten more confused, but also thanks to Kazu, am reading the reply posts to see if I can get an answer.
    It seems a theres a little bit of rivalry between Sunbeam and Breville (much like Ford and Holden - both of which I think make great cars), so am not sure which way to go. Have a Breville ESP8B which has stopped frothing (but can still run the coffee through) after only 3 years! Was a good machine otherwise and am overall happy with Breville, but am prepared to up the budget a bit to go better quality and also try Sunbeam or another if better.
    Budget hasnt been established at this stage, am more interested in quality, but I would say absolute top of $800 or maybe tad more IF needed. Would prefer up to about $600 (really cant afford anything!!)
    So Ill keep reading, if you all keep posting, but try no to confuse me much more. *;)!
    Thanks

Caffeine Junky

Welcome MummaMann.
    Most important question, do you have a grinder?
    If not, does your budet of $600-800 include a grinder allowance?

No at this stage I dont have a grinder, that is something I am considering after reading all this. I currently get my beans ground from where I buy them!
    A grinder could be hinted at for a birthday present next month or use birthday money to get, so that allowance can just be for the machine at this stage.
    As I said tho, that is what I am prepared to possibly pay, but would prefer less if there is one that does the trick at a cheaper price!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 073E253F38292020294C0 link=1248351534/15#15 date=1248851201
    No at this stage I dont have a grinder, that is something I am considering after reading all this. I currently get my beans ground from where I buy them!
    A grinder could be hinted at for a birthday present next month or use birthday money to get, so that allowance can just be for the machine at this stage.
    As I said tho, that is what I am prepared to possibly pay, but would prefer less if there is one that does the trick at a cheaper price!

Dont do it... It is not efficient or cost effective.

And will give you crap coffee.

I went through 4 little ones (new and second hand) before I got my first EM0480.. That opened my eyes...

However I also lost about $220 in the process, and that is well in excess of what I spent on teh Sunbeam grinder, and after I was able to sell the others off.. Thus it cost me nearly $380 to get a working grinder that I paid $165 for. AND the differences were easy to see and taste.

I then went to a Rocky, and better not not quite the same level of change...

Still wanting something like a MD4 or K3 Compac and that will do me for a long time.

Do not do what I have done at the start...Learn from others like me - Get the best Grinder you can and then upgrade the coffee machine as you move on...

Otherwise you will be upgrading BOTH and that is more $$$$$

Caffeine Junky

Hi MM,

Within your budget these are your main options. Ive listed them in order of what Id recommend however I cant say Ive used them all:

Rancilio Silvia
    Nemox Fenice
    Nemox Dell Opera (built-in grinder)
    Lelit Combi (built-in grinder)
    Sunbeam EM6910
    Gaggia Classic
    Breville BES860 (built-in grinder)

Coffee Parts, one of the site sponsors (see left of page) have the 2008 Rancilio Silvia for $689. *This machine is recognised as the gold standard for affordable quality espresso machines. *To get something signifcantly better youd have to spend twice as much.

However as AM pointed out, it doesnt matter how good your machine is if you dont have a grinder. *Coffee deteriorates within minutes of being ground.

The minimum standard in grinders is the Sunbeam EM0450. The EM0480 looks nicer but is essentially the same grinder.

In talking to a friend, Im leaning towards a particular model (which Im not going to say on here, cos I dont need any more confusion :-/ and someone going, No!) There are 2 particular models that are six of one and half a dozen of the other as to whether theyre good or bad! I think it comes down to whether youre a Ford of Holden person so to speak! I myself think they both make great cars, but do lean towards one!
    My friend also has the Sunbeam EM0450 and is happy with it, so am going to get that as well!
    Thanks for all the advice and tips and happy grinding, expressing and sipping! :)

MM, maby try starting your own thread instead of asking new questions that are off topic to your choices not kazus

Sorry Coffee Snob Azz and Kazu.
    Didnt mean to steal the thread. I was merely in the same boat as Kazu, looking for a machine and confused and I couldnt find how to start a thread, sorry new to the site too!
    Sorry again.

Caffeine Junky

Its cool MummaMann, I think Coffee Snob just wanted to make sure you got the right advice and starting your own thread is probably the best way to do that.

I think you need a few posts before you can start a new thread (maybe 3? cant remember).

There are many very knowledgeable people on here who are very generous with sharing their knowledge. Youre better off telling us the model youre currently considering. I understand there are a lot of options out there and the more you research, the more confused you get.

Take advantage of the knowledge on here and use it!

det

Hi Kazu
    I have a Saeco Via Venezia and EM0480. With some coaching from CS members, using beans roasted by a local supplier, playing around with the grind and some work on my technique i.e tamping extraction times etc. there has been a massive improvement on the results I was getting previously i.e. with beans ground by the supplier and using the pressurised group handle. Better than many cafes now. One of the site sponsors is advertising the VV for $449-link below. I picked up the EM0480 new for $155. (try The Good Guys) I am no expert and havent used many other machines but I can say the VV is reliable, solidly made (in Italy I believe) and has a stainless steel boiler. I did get a non pressurised group handle for it which I think also helped immensely $92 delivered to Qld from Saeco. So you will be making good coffee for under $700. I now understand how important the grind is so I would say my next upgrade will be to a better grinder before a better machine.

http://www.sibonis.com.au/Content_Common/pc-Saeco.seo

det

Mmmm. I may have over stated that lets say "as good as many cafes"

Quote Originally Posted by 5352584B55504A390 link=1248351534/21#21 date=1248925495
    Its cool MummaMann, I think Coffee Snob just wanted to make sure you got the right advice and starting your own thread is probably the best way to do that.
    MM,
    As CJ said no offence intended, probs could have chosen my words better.
    We have all been in the same boat as you at some stage, have a read about the popular machines you see on our sponsers sites <<<<

also if you start a thread with your usage, price and other needs we will be able to point u at some good options

Can I recommend the Silvia and Rocky they are a brilliant combo and for the money nothing really gets near it IMHO :)

I am very keen on the Silvia but is the rocky really worth the extra expense compared to the sunbeam grinder? It is about half the price I believe

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 68696E72756C651C0 link=1248351534/26#26 date=1251017969
    I am very keen on the Silvia but is the rocky really worth the extra expense compared to the sunbeam grinder? It is about half the price I believe
    Yes- you gets what you pays for with grinders...;)

While the 0480 is a good grinder and band for buck is fantastic. The Rocky is a tank- built like one and wil last a long long time!! Go pick each one up and u will see why.
    Like anything u get what u pay for. Although both a Ford and BMW are cars oneit better than the other.