Thread: converting a pressurised basket into a non-pressurised basket

converting a pressurised basket into a non-pressurised basket

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    guys I have an old sunbeam machine em5800 @ work and want to turn its preasurised basket into non-preasurised. Others have used a metal lathe to convert it, unfortunatley I dont have one.
    Any other suggestions??

Im going home this arvo to have a look see what I could use but thought I might ask first

Caffeine Junky

Re: converting a pressurised basket into a non-pressurised basket

Buy a metal lathe.

Seriously though others have used a Dremmel (?) tool.

I cant imagine a grinder (angle or bench) would be suitable....the gap between the 2 walls must be very narrow.

Try doing a search, lots of info there. You want to make sure you cut at the right diamter.

does anyone know how much gap there is between the bottom of the pressurised basket and the base where the holes are??

Dremmel huh. food for thought

On the Breville double basket I did, there was virtually no gap at the edges and only a couple of mm in the centre.

I used a Dremel with a fibre cutting wheel--finicky but simple. The Dremel is the right sized hand tool to do the job, although I reckon you could find something that would fit on an electric drill.

Greg

Greg mrseca has suggested a metal lathe which he has used with great success while Angermanagement has suggested just drillig some holes.

Theres more than one way to skin the cat, just which one is best!! :o

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 2121212F232A2A29294C0 link=1249529102/4#4 date=1249650139
    Greg mrseca has suggested a metal lathe which he has used with great success while Angermanagement has suggested just drillig some holes.

Theres more than one way to skin the cat, just which one is best!! :o
    Which ever one is the easiest to perform... It is about access to tools...

Both have their Pros and cons..

How about a can opener? ;D

Thats one option... Maybe hvae a look see if it fits ;D

take a 6-pack to a local machine shop.

Would someone who has doen this with a Dremel be able to post a pic and instructions to help out a noob?...there does not look like there is much clearance between the two bottoms of the basket.

I scored a free basket the other day and wish to get hubby to turn it into a unpressurised basket...(its a Breville double basket).

I have a Dremel sitting in the garage waiting for jobs and a slack hubby sitting infront of the TV...this would be a perfect little Sunday project!

Thanks...

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 676265677B72170 link=1249529102/9#9 date=1250386553
    Would someone who has doen this with a Dremel be able to post a pic and instructions to help out a noob?...there does not look like there is much clearance between the two bottoms of the basket.

I scored a free basket the other day and wish to get hubby to turn it into a unpressurised basket...(its a Breville double basket).

I have a Dremel sitting in the garage waiting for jobs and a slack hubby sitting infront of the TV...this would be a perfect little Sunday project!

Thanks...

Do a dance and entice him ;)

1: It does depend on the dremel system and the quality of the burrs / cutting wheel etc..

2: Yes... For some systems (baskets ) there is little free room to move..

I can only suggest who ever does it... Take it slow...

I used teh cutting blade on my first attempt and while it worked.. I did destroy two cutting blades :-(

I can also suggest that you just open up an area about the size of a 10c piece... Less work and there is no need to go right to the edge... Unless you going to try and use it in a Naked group...

For my second attempt to used a grinding burr.. That did not last long and then in frustration I used a specially sharpened drill with little lead to make a pattern of 5 holes... Worked well..

Then I moved to a Krumps single floor basket.. Less issues with cleaning and then up to bigger and better systems (Also more$$$).

Not sure if this is what you wanted / needed but hope it helps out..

PS.. Beat him with wet lettuce and remind him who is boss...

I did this with a Dremel on a Breville basket. You are correct, there is not much clearance between the inside floor of the basket and the bottom.

I used one of the brown fibre cutting wheels, and just worked slowly (about 10 mins) making sure only about 1 mm or so of the wheel dipped below the surface of the metal. I rested the basket on a bit of wood and rotated it, while holding the Dremel basically still.

I left about 5 mm around the edge to hold in the basket floor. When it was cut, there were little strings of metal holding the disk in place, but it popped off with some gentle persuading from a small screwdriver. A quick grind with the Dremel grindstone to take off any sharp edges and it was finished.

Not only did the coffee improve markedly, the basket is now washable!

Greg

Great...thanks guys...now that he has had a little nap as well I shall put him to work after showing him the double floor of the basket and telling him yucky things get stuck in there and make the coffee not so good...he is very fond of his coffee so this should help! ;) activate him...might get him to practise on the single basket as thta has a heap of room or just go the few extra shallow holes in the double rather than attempting the full removal of the bottom layer.
    I have been a bit worried about what is accumulating between these 2 layers of stainless.

OK...we have had some activity in the shed...and the single basket has several holes drilled into the bottom of it...I report that the single basket has some type of silicon or similar filling between the two layers of stainless :o...dunno what to make of it...so just leaving it as is now and will give it a turn in the coffee machine and see what happens. ;D

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 373235372B22470 link=1249529102/13#13 date=1250404911
    OK...we have had some activity in the shed...and the single basket has several holes drilled into the bottom of it...I report that the single basket has some type of silicon or similar filling between the two layers of stainless :o...dunno what to make of it...so just leaving it as is now and will give it a turn in the coffee machine and see what happens. ;D
    Sounds like crud to me :o I would be removing it ::)

Thats what I thought it was at first too AM but nup...its definitely something like silicon...not the gooey sort...more like those little silicon mats under the sunbeam grinders...kind of as if they have sandwiched a slice of it in between the layers...this would be about 3mm thick or so I guess...and as I have been able to dig a sample out and examine it I am fairly sure it isnt crud...which of course is what I expected to find in there. Might have to get hubby to continue digging or grinding so we can extract the whole piece of stuff from inside...at present I can now see through the holes he drilled and see daylight coming from the other side which is a step in the right direction.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4F4A4D4F535A3F0 link=1249529102/15#15 date=1250406858
    Thats what I thought it was at first too AM but nup...its definitely something like silicon...not the gooey sort...more like those little silicon mats under the sunbeam grinders...kind of as if they have sandwiched a slice of it in between the layers...this would be about 3mm thick or so I guess...and as I have been able to dig a sample out and examine it I am fairly sure it isnt crud...which of course is what I expected to find in there. Might have to get hubby to continue digging or grinding so we can extract the whole piece of stuff from inside...at present I can now see through the holes he drilled and see daylight coming from the other side which is a step in the right direction.
    Interesting as the Presso units also use a Si mat with lots of holes...

The issue is that if you have SS bottom and lots of holes and then Si mat and lots of holes..

Not fully un pressurised... but much better than the single hole... However crap has to get caught, once you start grinding finer... Which you will need to do with the non pressurised basket...

Thanks for reminding me to grind finer...I wouldnt have done that :-[..

I suppose running water through the empty basket via the group head could help clean it a little? although there wont be so much pressure now will there?...mmm...

Have you looked at just replacing the basket with the Krups one? I am currently checking this out as I have an EM5900. I am going into the show tomorrow to check it out..

Hi purple,

Take a look at the following thread if you havent done already
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1234064740

Cheers, TB

Just waiting on AussiPost now for my new tweeked pressurized... now non-pressursed baskets thanks to Mrseca!!! Cant wiat to try them on my old sunbeam machine which now lives in my office @ work! Bring on Monday and test driving it! ;D ;D

Hey sunnboy from memory the only problem with the Krups baskets is they dont fit as well as the origionals. A new thinker spring fixes it though (from a 58mm portafilter).

But I havent looked at one in person- how did u go the other day checking them out??

Some thoughts on converting the pressurised basket.

I did this some time ago and after carefully grinding the bottom off I discovered that the internal filter screen is just a press fit into the outer basket , which has slightly tapered walls.

This means that with some carefully directed tapping to the inverted basket with a hammer the inner filter screen just drops out.

The outer basket can then be drilled out with as many holes as you like or drilled cut and filed (it is quite thin stainless steel, and files easily).

Once you are happy with the size of the hole and the finish, the inner filter screen is just pushed back in....I seated mine securely by putting a short length of 20mm dowell in a vise and dropping the inverted basket over it then tapping around the edges to seat the filter in to the outer basket.

No need for a lathe or even a Dremel simple hand tools - a drill and round file suffice.

Works very well ...give it a try ! ;)

Hmmm, lathe (if you have one) is a 3 minute job with a perfect result.
    Find someone with a lathe.

Mrseca.

After some playing with my new formally pressurized now non pressurized done expertly on a lathe. Makes a huge difference to what is now in my cup. Thanks heaps mrseca!!