Thread: Dosing 1 cup of coffee into a 2 cup basket : possible/practical?

Dosing 1 cup of coffee into a 2 cup basket : possible/practical?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey all,

Im a Breville Cafe Roma owner whos looking to try some unpressurised basket(s) in my machine. The service centre Ive been in touch with has the ESP4/78 3-4 cup (ie: 2 cup) unpressurised basket, but not a single cup basket.

Will it be possible to pack 1 cup worth of coffee into the 3-4 cup basket to make a single shot, or will there be problems doing this?

Thanks. :-)

Re: Dosing 1 cup of coffee into a 2 cup basket : possible/practical?

Hmm... may have found my answer here:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1249183412/2#2

If anyone can confirm the sogginess issue, that would be good...

Doesnt work u need the volume of coffee in the basket to get a good shot. Ur dont get as good an extraction and the pluck will be left very sogg- because the coffee is not near near the screen thus water is nit being forced so much through the ground coffee, rather it is soaking through, kinda like a drip filter coffee- just slghtly under preassure.

What about just making 2 coffees? I figure 1 is better than 2! ;) normally 1 coffee baskets are not very good anyway.

I assume by 2 cup basket you mean a double basket

Get the double and stick with it, its heaps easier to get consistent results with a double basket than single, also a richer flavour as well I find

And yes if you underdose the basket you will get watery soggy coffee as mmm suggests

Ive had my Silvia almost a year now and havnt used the single basket once

Yeah put ur single basket somewhere u will forget where it is so u never us it. As suggested quality, consistancy and taste suffer with a single basket.

Quote Originally Posted by 6363636D6168686B6B0E0 link=1249533127/2#2 date=1249548369
    Doesnt work u need the volume of coffee in the basket to get a good shot. Ur dont get as good an extraction and the pluck will be left very sogg-
    Quote Originally Posted by 6363636D6168686B6B0E0 link=1249533127/4#4 date=1249560238
    As suggested quality, consistancy and taste suffer with a single basket.
    although these are good indicators, you can down-dose and grind finer, and learn to get consistent distributions from a single basket, or a lower dose on a double/triple basket. A soggy puck isnt guaranteed, but it is more likely to have water on the top of it. You dont need to tamp hard enough to break your wrist. However, this is much easier to pull off successfully with some machines than others - the Silvia is notoriously finicky about good shots, so this may affect mmmcoffees experience. using some Ethiopia Aricha #4, Hazel de los Reyes pulled a few fantastic shots severely down-dosing in a 16gm synesso basket (were talking 11-12gm shots at a glance). generally speaking, down-dosing can also reduce channelling.

J

Thanks for all the advice guys. Ill see how I go with the double basket and go from there. This mornings coffee was out of my old pressurised double and was quite good really (considering how clogged I think it probably is). Im interested to see how the Cafe Roma deals with the unpressurised basket and what tamp and grind works best - or if it will cope at all...

[Itll also be interesting to see how long it takes to get a serious case of ugraditits from hanging round here! *;) ]

Cheers.

Ur spot on Coffeehorse with ur suggestions but as u know a single basket especially fir beginners is far harder to master and get quality shits out of.

Give under dosing a try with ur new basket and experiment a little. After all its about what in the cup that counts!!.

You might find it works a treat and u might not, but that waynu can make some cartoons.

Well, I managed to get an ESP4/51 basket, which is a single basket I believe. It has a tapered base and measurements for 1 & 2 cups, but doesnt hold the qty of coffee that the original double pressurised basket that came with the machine. (I looked at the ESP4/78 double/ 3-4 cup basket and as mentioned elsewhere, it is too deep to fit in my group handle).

So, the result: Im getting exactly the same crema, but with less foaming. Given some of the comments here, this is somewhat of a surprise, and a pleasant one! A surprise because I dont have a grinder, yet, so I rely on buying small qtys of ground coffee ad using it while its as fresh as I can manage. The coffee Im using was bought and ground last weekend, say 6 days ago.

That said, it is a slightly finer grind than I had been buying (and experiment) and I have given it a harder tamp.

I also changed my seating collar and my group seal. It seems obvious in hindsight, but its apparent that the unpressurised basket places less strain on these (sealing) components - it always amazing me how much pressure the old basket would build up and the new unpressurised basket now creates significantly less. I hope that perhaps the collar will last longer that a year before cracking again. Anyway, its not a big deal - the part only costs $9 and the basket was also only $9.

A word of caution for anyone changing seating collars on these machines - the screws thread directly into the aluminum thermoblock and are quite easy to cross-thread... The less than accurate alignment of the frame and plastic housing doesnt help this as the pull the screw off-square.

I do have a further question for those in the know, what speed of shot should I aim for and expect a Cafe Roma to cope with? Im used to pouring pretty fast shots (10 secs and under) and it seems that the machine is struggling when pouring a longer (twenty secs +) shot? Id also be worried about blowing seals etc, but perhaps the unpressurised basket will now mean that is not a problem?

(Hmm... maybe I should edit the title of this thread to mention that its cafe roma oriented...)

where can you buy a ESP4/51 for $9

It was from the Breville factory outlet in Melbourne - Huntingdale Rd, Huntingdale.

It was their last one apparently, but Im not sure when/if they keep the part in stock. Worth a call.

thanks,

i will try their outlet in Adelaide.

on a seperate note, have you tried putting v hot (not boiling) water in the tank. I have found that this gives a much more consistently tolerable shot on the roma.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 34273E3E3D3422333C33313A37520 link=1249533127/11#11 date=1250083475
    have you tried putting v hot (not boiling) water in the tank. I have found that this gives a much more consistently tolerable shot on the roma.
    Not recommended "fullofpanache".... :o

The Vibe Pumps used in espresso machines are not rated for use with Hot Water. You will shorten the life of its internals....

Mal.

oh ok...

I will continue to do it for now though. If i bust the roma, I have a better chaance of convincing the wife i need a silvia :)

Quote Originally Posted by 7C6F7676757C6A7B747B79727F1A0 link=1249533127/13#13 date=1250123306
    oh ok...

I will continue to do it for now though. If i bust the roma, I have a better chaance of convincing the wife i need a silvia :)
    Chances are, youll bust the group head collar... and it only costs $9 to replace...