Thread: First setup

First setup

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello all,

Ive been a CS member for a while now, but have not actually made a post yet, because most of what I know is what Ive read rather than personal experience. Im at uni in Melbourne, and want a small set up in my room at college; Id have to move it in/out at the beginning and end of each semester, and be within my budget, which right now is around $300, but I could push it maybe to $400.

I want to make a decent espresso with an occasional cappuccino, so it doesnt matter particularly about the single boiler/thermoblock problem, Ive used an EM5600 and EM6910, and still get the feeling that a boiler machine is a better option, at least for a double shot.

Ive been thinking between either;
    Sunbeam EM0450/0480
    Iberital Challenge

and;
    Sunbeam EM2300
    Breville Ikon

Id be able to get the Iberital, but not the espresso machine straight away and vice versa for the Ikon [which is the wrong way around to buy them...].

My question is; is it worth it to drink plunger coffee until I can afford the espresso machine?
    Bear in mind that it will be more awkward to move around the heavier Iberital, that it will have to wait in storage two months of the year, where its likely to be abused as people move things in/out of storage.

Sorry for asking something that has been asked before, and thanks.

EDIT: and it looks like I have made a post before, my bad...

Re: First setup

IMO buy the Iberital and pack it well when storing.
    A box in a box with bubble wrap in between (including top and bottom).

Youll save money in the long run by not having to upgrade from the Sunbeam grinder.

Thanks, I had a feeling that would be a better way to go.

Would it be better to go with the Sunbeam or the Breville?

I would eventually want to upgrade from either of these, so is there a more compelling reason to buy the Ikon?

I love my Ikon...and it looks pretty too. I bought mine because I found it virtually unused at a garage sale for $100. I didnt research the product before I bought it...I was pleasantly surprised to come here and learn it was a good buy and a reasonably capable machine for what it is. I bought my grinder about 2 weeks later. The sunbeam 450 can be had for about $125 new if you bargain the salesperson, the 480 $185. The difference between the 2, the 480 is brushed stainless steel instead of grey plastic casing (not that bad really) and the 480 has on, off & auto positions whereas the 450 only has the auto button where you put the handle or basket up against the button to operate it....other than that they are practically identical. Oh the 480 has a 5yr warranty on the motor I think and only 1 yr on the 450.

Yeah, thanks mate, but I think Ill go with the Iberital; the issue now is; should I wait longer for an Ikon, or get the Sunbeam sooner?