Thread: Wanted Rocky/Silvia...but should I go Breville 800 Class Pro / Beville BCG450 for $399 altogether?!

Wanted Rocky/Silvia...but should I go Breville 800 Class Pro / Beville BCG450 for $399 altogether?!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys,

I posted earlier and was very close to buying a Rocky/Sylvia combo.

Now in the latest Myer catalogue, I spot a:

Breville 800 Class Pro: http://www.breville.com.au/products_detail.asp?prod=286

&

Breville BCG450 grinder: http://www.breville.com.au/products_detail.asp?prod=370

ALL FOR $399. (Grinder is chucked in for free, value of $179. $50 off the actuall coffee machine.)

Now this will probably upset some of you haha. But considering that coffee is made 7 times a week between 4 people, who dont really care too much....I think the Sylvia/Rocky combo was a bit too much.

Has anyone heard anything about these ones? Does it sound like a good deal?

Cheers,
    Duncan *:)

TC

Re: Wanted Rocky/Silvia...but should I go Breville 800 Class Pro / Beville BCG450 for $399 altogether?!

Hi Duncan,

Depends on whether you want something to chuck out in a couple of years or something which will last *:-?? Oh, and BTW, its a Silvia.

Your brief is a bit weird though. If you dont care, why not drink instant?

Re: Wanted Rocky/Sylvia...but should I go Breville 800 Class Pro / Beville BCG450 for $399 altogether?!

Dont do it. Your talking the difference between appliances that will die and machinery that with service can last forever. They are in completely different classes. imo for true espresso the Silvia is an entry level machine. The breville is a pretender.

Re: Wanted Rocky/Silvia...but should I go Breville 800 Class Pro / Beville BCG450 for $399 altogether?!

Hrm....2ncnm good point about the instant coffee. Actually its because my parentals are looking to get a new system. I guess its because I dont care about instant too much - and thats why I thought a cheaper set up would be okay. Im hoping Breville is a slight step up to instant coffee and maybe I will enter the realm of coffee snobbing!

Muppet Man 1967, how long do you think the Breville could last for? Keeping in mind it wont be used all too often. Im assuming this would be covered by warranty anyway?

I couldnt answer. Dont be fooled by the marketing on that particular machine when they make statements like "commercial grade" etc. Im doubtful that these machines are much different to brevilles cheaper offerings. Perhaps they add some lead to make it feel weighty. If you want to be cheap then there are heaps of machines that may be cheaper but make an equal cup.

If you want a cheaper machine then silvia have a look at a gaggia at Myer, They are known to make a good brew and have a full size non pressurised portafilter. If you were to match that with a sunbeam em450 grinder then at least you have a setup that will make a real espresso.

Its a shame you cant try a coffee from the machines in myer before you buy.

By the way a daily coffee x 4 is probbably average for lots of people on this forum.

brett230873

How many Sunbeam/Breville machines will be not only working flawlessly, but retain more than 60% of their value after ten years consistent and demanding use? This was my experience with Silvia. Believe the hype!

I bought the BES820 at the beginning of the year
    After 2 months I had upgraded to the Sunbeam 6910
    I take the Breville away with me if we go away for the weekend and even though it makes OK coffee, I find it a lot messier machine to use and extremely slow to steam milk.
    I love getting back to the 6910. :P:)

Go for the Rancilio package. You will then have quality gear that will last for a long time (if well looked after), and can produce great coffee.

If, in 2 years time, it is sat in a cupboard doing nothing, sell it to another snob & get most of your money back. The Breville be almost worthless once you take it out of the box.