Thread: Saeco Via Venezia Filter Basket

jptan0

Saeco Via Venezia Filter Basket

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi this is my first post here...

Im looking for a smaller basket for my Saeco Via Venezia so that I can have a single shot rather than a double shot. Ive converted by handle to a non-pressurised one, and pretty done all the adjustments that have been suggested here and its been great! Its just that I only want a single shot!

Im been looking around coffeeparts.com.au and wondered if there were any filter baskets that would fit in my group handle, and only give a single shot?

Thanks,
    Josh

det

Re: Saeco Via Venezia Filter Basket

Try the Australian distributor insist on speaking to someone in spare parts. I was able to get a single basket from them.

http://www.saeco.com.au/en/home-page/home-page.html

Hi Josh,

I recently bought a single basket with my non ppf from Caffe Bianchi in Sydney (google them). I bought it over the net (I think it was around $12.50 +P&H). It turned up in a matter of days. So far, so good..

Cheers,
    Paul.

jptan0

Thanks for the replies! I realised that I actually live close to a Saeco repair centre and went there and got a basket!

Are you having troubles pulling a decent shot from the single basket? With the same grind settings and beans, my shot from the single basket is nowhere near as good as what I can get with the double basket. In fact, Id go as far to say it is atrocious and similar to what I was making when I first modified the handle and didnt know how to grind correctly or tamp correctly.

Josh if you were getting good shots from your double basket Id stick with it, grind a bit finer and pull lovely ristretto shots, the single basket would leave less room for error, when I had Silvia the single basket was hidden at the back of the cupboard never to be used!!!

I read somewhere on here the same advice...toss away your single or hide it and just use the double...I have only used my double since reading this and my coffee has been a lot more consistent...if I want a weaker cup I stop the shot early or for a full bodied brew I run a regular shot...I only drink really large lattes anyway so a full shot is not so strong. Another way to do it is to split the shot into 2 cups.

Caffeine Junky

You need to re-optimise your variables if you want to get a reasonable shot with a single basket. All the physical parameters change when you go from a double to single basket e.g. volume of coffe, surface area, back pressure, flow rate, etc will all be different.
    As mentioned, the double basket is a lot more forgiving.

What it comes down to is this:

Do you want the best shot you can possibly get with your equipment?

OR

Do you want to save 20c and get a second rate coffee?

You can pour a shorter shot with more intense flavour.
    Use a double shot for a mug-sized drink.
    Pour 2 shots and disgard one (or save in fridge for making iced coffee).

jptan0

Mmm thanks for the advice. I dont like having a double shot in the morning, mainly because I dont to drink too much coffee (was that heresy?), so thats what I went to the single basket. I guess Ill just use the double from now on then!.

Thanks!

If the "problem" is too much caffeine rather than too much coffee, then the solution is a ristretto.

Greg

jptan0

I think Im beginning to understand about ristrettos now. From what Ive read, I understand them to be a shot that has been extracted for less time so that the caffeine has less time to be extracted, yet retaining the coffee flavours. If thats right, how would I go about getting a ristretto shot that would be the same as a single normal shot in terms of flavour and volume?

Does that mean using a double shot but extracting for 15 seconds rather than 30 seconds (using the 30/30 rule) so that I get 30mL in 15 seconds from a double basket for, say, a latte?

half decaf half normal as a blend means twice as much coffee for the same caffeine ;)

And the first 15 seconds doesnt flow as fast as the last 15, so id say 18 seconds if thats the way you want to go...

There are about as many definitions of ristretto as there are for most other coffees, so experimenting to get what suits you is really the order of the day.

I use about 20 gms of grounds in a double basket and aim for 20 ml of coffee extracted in about 20 seconds.

However no matter what the target, when the coffee starts to pale off, I believe most of the taste is already in the cup, and stop there. Of course, pale off is also subjective!

For a milk drink, I add to the 20 ml of coffee, steamed milk to fill a 100 ml cup or glass. Ive never had complaints from guests, so I guess it tastes good to them as well as to me.

A worthwhile experiment is to have 3 glasses handy and as the coffee is extracted catch the first 20 ml in one cup, the next 20 in the second, and the final 20 in the last.

Taste each separately, then mix until you get the taste you want. Its how I decided I only wanted the first 20 ml.

Greg