Thread: Help: wanting to upgrade

Help: wanting to upgrade

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi!

Im new posting to this site, but have been on here reading for a while.

I had a little Cafe Roma for around a year which was given to me as a present, and got some decent use out of it with local beans and a dodgy little grinder which produced better coffee than most Ive tried out at the usual coffee chains.

I was hoping to keep the Cafe Roma for a while, and get a semi decent grinder (eg. Sunbeam EM4050/80), then work my way from there, but my cafe roma has died, and now Im stuck with the prospect of getting a new machine.

The main problem I have is being a student I have a fairly limited budget.

I have my heart set on a EM6910 paired with a EM4050/80, but am not sure if I can realistically afford it...unless I can find a good deal: I can probably only budget $600-700: so less than the RRP of the 6910 :(
    I think this might be good as:
    1) Unpressurized (decent sized) baskets
    2) Better temperature control than other thermoblock machines
    3) Dual thermoblock/Ease of use: I often make 10+ coffees for family+friends, so want a machine that can handle making multiple coffees quickly, and have consistency

However recently I have seen the EM5900 and EM4050 on sale for $399, which seems like a good deal: anyone had any experience with this?

Also, has anyone seen a similar package with the EM6910?

And would looking for 2nd hand machines be a good idea, or is it too "dangerous"?

Would love to hear anyones suggestions as to what I should look for!

And thanks for the tremendous amount I have already learnt from this site! :D

Re: Help: wanting to upgrade

Welcome to Coffee Snobs.

10+ coffees for family+friends :o

I think you need to ask for some donations towards your new machine;
    seems to me they helped kill the Roma.

Quote Originally Posted by 1529342F252433262E25410 link=1251714351/1#1 date=1251723122
    Welcome to Coffee Snobs.

10+ coffees for family+friends *:o

I think you need to ask for some donations towards your new machine;
    seems to me they helped kill the Roma.
    Hahaha true. Ive joked to dad that I will charge him for all the coffees Ive made him...I will try and con them into helping to fund the new machine, will pitch it as an "investment" for them ;)

Any advice as to what would be a good machine/grinder?

Cheers,
    Matt

Gday Matt,
    If you want to continue along the coffee path (it sounds like you do) for the sort of money youre talking about, Id be investing in a top quality grinder and a big plunger.
    If you want a machine that will punch out 10 milk based drinks quickly, realistically youre going to be looking at a minimum of a EM6910, or an HX or double boiler machine and they are big $$$.
    Good luck,
    Steve.

The lelit combi is getting some good reviews around here lately, Its a grinder plus machine for $800. Temp control is via temp surfing and its a single boiler so will be slow for bigger groups.

As others have said what you have described as wanting is usually in a much higher price bracket. Entry level HX is Nuova simonelli oscar at about $1300

I saw a 6910 on here recently for sale...might pay you to go check the for sale section...the 2nd hand machines on here tend to come from very loving homes and are not such a dangerous purchase as they often still work perfectly but are the innocent victims of upgraditis ;D.

Hi HLV - it might be worth keeping your eyes out. Usually about this time of the year, Sunbeam do their 6910 with Free Grinder offer: it can take 6-8 weeks to get the grinder through, but its a savings of around $200.00 or so.

Cheers
    Di

Quote Originally Posted by 5C595E5C40492C0 link=1251714351/5#5 date=1251793555
    I saw a 6910 on here recently for sale...might pay you to go check the for sale section...the 2nd hand machines on here tend to come from very loving homes and are not such a dangerous purchase as they often still work perfectly but are the innocent victims of upgraditis ;D.
    Cheers! Will do...sounds good, as I am a bit hesitant to go 2nd hand if it seems there might be a risk of the machine being poorly kept

Quote Originally Posted by 65465F4C50290 link=1251714351/3#3 date=1251778817
    Gday Matt,
    If you want to continue along the coffee path (it sounds like you do) for the sort of money youre talking about, Id be investing in a top quality grinder and a big plunger.
    If you want a machine that will punch out 10 milk based drinks quickly, realistically youre going to be looking at a minimum of a EM6910, or an HX or double boiler machine and they are big $$$.
    Good luck,
    Steve.
    Hey! Thanks for the advice, will be on the look out for a decent grinder...small steps towards great coffee I guess :D

Quote Originally Posted by 785F495B43300 link=1251714351/6#6 date=1251793672
    Hi HLV - it might be worth keeping your eyes out. Usually about this time of the year, Sunbeam do their 6910 with Free Grinder offer: it can take 6-8 weeks to get the grinder through, but its a savings of around $200.00 or so.

Cheers
    Di
    Hi,
    Thanks, good to know that they do have a deal. Ill keep a look out: I do have the benefit of not needing anything in a hurry, so I can wait until a decent deal comes around.
    Any idea what price they normally sell the combo at?

Thanks,
    Matt

Usually its separate, so $700 for the 6910 (I notice the Good Guys are advertising them for $749, so you could knock them down by $50, Id say) and $200 for the grinder but, when they have the deal on, its circa $700 for both so basically a saving of $200.

If you have the opportunity, however, of buying a second hand HX machine from a Snobber from this site however, Id go that option (note: not Ebay). As long as theyve got a pretty good post count, theyve probably been around here for long enough to know about cleaning and maintenance. Sometimes (most times) its worth the risk because youd be getting a good machine. Sometimes the bargains are few and far between, unfortunately, though because most of us know the value of an HX and they retain their value so much more than the Sunnies, Brevilles, etc.

Cheers
    Di

Cheers, Ill keep an eye out. I guess theres no need to rush: I can crash my brothers place for decent coffee *;D so Ill keep watching the stores and second hand on cs.
    Thanks for the help *:)

I was lucky enough to find a "used twice" 6910 here (Perth) for $180 last week. The previous owners had tried it, couldnt handle the effort and noise, so bought a DeLonghi capsule type machine.
    I stripped the wands and group seal and screens - oh and the black insert in the handle. There was almost nothing to clean off them, so I think it was "tried and discarded".

My previous machine was (is) a Cafe Roma, and the 6910 feels like it has plenty of options and accessories for me to play with and improve my coffee making.

I found my 6910 online in the Quokka, and spent a couple of weeks browsing several Aus sites like that before this one popped up.

I just missed out on another 6910 2 weeks before, that sold for $300 (in Perth again), so they are around.

Bruce

An update: I managed to grab a EM6910 new with grinder for $640, thanks to a friend who works at a local retail store.

Thanks again for all the help: it gave me much to work with in searching for a new machine.

Have been playing around with the EM 6910 for a bit over a week, and am very happy and impressed.

Have to wait for the grinder, but am eagerly anticipating it.

Booked in for the sunbeam coffee course this weekend *8-)

I have swot vac and exams coming up very soon, so this is perfect timing to ride a wave of coffee to the end of the year *:D

Nice snaffle--enjoy the trip.

The course and grinder (with fresh beans) will make all the difference.

Greg