Thread: Poor results from a Gaggia deluxe espresso

Williamstown, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Poor results from a Gaggia deluxe espresso

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi there
    I bought the above mentioned model off Ebay....it looks to have been well looked after....

My previous machine is EM3600 which isnt bad, but I figured the Gaggia would be a step above this.

I was shock when I made my first coffee that the shot came out looking like black instant coffee ! It came through at the right rate, but lacked any of the caramel colour and zero crema.

I played around with some different grinds ( I dont have a Grinder but had fresh beans ground for me at my local roaster ) but this didnt make any difference.

So I plugged my little Sunbeam back in and created MUCH better shots from the same coffee.

I now have the Gaggia on Ebay but given that I am in the process of buying a grinder, I am wondering if I should keep the Gaggia and keep experimenting with different grinds? OR, are the Sunbeam and the cheaper Gaggia pretty much on the same level anyway?

I have my eye on a Silvia but was wondering if i should put some more time into the Gaggia first?

thanks!

Tony

Re: Poor results from a Gaggia deluxe espresso

Quote Originally Posted by 6378796E2F27252F170 link=1253161881/0#0 date=1253161881
    Hi there
    I am in the process of buying a grinder, I am wondering if I should keep the Gaggia and keep experimenting with different grinds?

thanks!

Tony
    The issue with having your beans ground is then you cannot vary the grind. all you can do is adjust dose and tamp.

the sunbeam might be better on that "grind" but the Gaggia "may?" be a better machine?

I would be looking to get a grinder 1st before making any more machine investments. Go for a rocky or better if you can afford it, as then you do not have to upgrade again for a while.

Fresh beans and the grinder will be better than a silvia and no grinder IMO.....

Caffeine Junky

Im assuming the Gaggia has single floor (unpressurised) baskets whilst the Sunbeam has a dual floor (pressurised) basket.

This could explain why youre getting black instant coffee with the Gaggia. *The pressurised basket creates a fake crema.

Maheel is right in that you really want to get yourself a grinder before messing around too much more. *A Rocky would be great, but if you want something cheaper, the Sunbeam EM0450 at around $150 is an alternative. *Dont get anything cheaper than this.

If the Gaggia appears to be working ok, i.e. water is coming out hot and under pressure, then its almost certainly just a matter of getting the grind right for this machine.

Its not practical to be running back & forth to your local roaster trying different grind sizes. *In any case, ground coffee should be used within 3min of grinding. *If you want to get (semi) serious about making good coffee then youre going to have to get yourself a grinder.

Added note: Buying a grinder and using fresh roasted beans is going to make a much much bigger difference in the quality of your coffee compared to upgrading machines.

Williamstown, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Thanks for the above replies.

I am willing to spend on the Rocky....any pros and cons re the doser and the dose on demand?

the obvious advantage i can see for the dose on demand is only grinding the amount you need at the time?

Anyone know where I could buy one in Sydney (close to cbd) ?

tony

TC

Hi Tony,

Most CSers would suggest the doserless Rocky over the doser model.

Sydney CS sponsors stocking the Rocky include Jetblack, DiBartoli, Coffeeparts

2mcm