Thread: New Machine

New Machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all.

After taking my Via Venezia back to Myers due to possible busted boiler I was told that they would just replace it no questions asked, so I thought id take the opportunity to upgrade.

I have to spend my money at Myers so I am somewhat limited in my options, I was thinking of purchasing a Gaggia Classic. Is this my best option in this price range or is there another machine better ?

I really only drink espressos so steam capabilities are not an issue and I already have a grinder.

Cheers

Caffeine Junky

Re: New Machine

Hard to say without knowing what is available at Myer. Do you own a coffee grinder? If not you should definitely be putting any additional funds towards that.

Gaggia machine has commercial size (58mm)filter that are unpressurised. Not sure of the size of the Saeco but assume they are narrower, also pressurised. Apparently they can be modified to be unpressurised very easily.

Biggest criticism of the Gaggia is the aluminium boiler.

Yeah I have a grinder so would prefer to put all the money back into a machine. The saeco has a 53mm and it was pressurised until I attacked it and pulled it apart.

Myers seemed to have all the usual brevilles, sunbeam but unfortunately no Miss Silvias.

Quote Originally Posted by 05233A3A2F560 link=1253774925/0#0 date=1253774925
    I have to spend my money at Myers
    If you are not ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that this is the case, I suggest you read the appropriate documents about your rights in retail purchases. You may well be entitled to a refund you can spend anywhere.

Greg
    Ive done this a number of times.
    Even the printed material from the shop may be illegal.

mayeb miss Silvia is back on the cards ;D ;D

Caffeine Junky

What sort of grinder do you have Sully?

Going back to the OP I dont think going from an unpressurised VV to a Classic would be much of an upgrade. Other options? I guess the Sunbeam EM6910. Makes very good coffee but questions over relilability/longevity. Would be nice if SB offered a 2 year warranty on it as Breville do with the Fresca.

I dont know why people keep putting down the SB, my 6900 has lasted me going on 4 years,its like any machine, treat it right and itll treat you to great coffee. If you arent too concerned about stream then try a small single boiler machine but if you like the idea of having the steam there when you need it then the SB is gotta be ur best bet for around the 600 mark other wise the silvia is the next step

TC

Dunno kaffine...It could have something to do with the fact that massive numbers of them have been consigned to the scrap heap? I wouldnt buy a car that had a 25% chance of getting me to my destination either ;)

2mcm