Thread: a big thankyou for my Breville Ikon

a big thankyou for my Breville Ikon

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, I joined this forum a couple years ago almost, and didnt know a thing, i needed to know what machine to get within my budget and from what i read i got the impression that the Breville Ikon was the best choice for the price of around the 300 mark.
    I got on ebay and found a factory refurbished or second for 170 after postage!
    what a bargain.

it has been an awesome machine, and i never even knew how good it really was until i travelled around using family and friends cheap machines, one was a Gaggia cheapy, im not sure of the model, but it was all plastic housing, and it was RUBBISH! apart from the group handle being comercially sized.

then another cheap NEW breville, also rubbish.
    and a Sunbeam of the cheap kind.
    all these were rubbish in that they didnt let off the steam preassure behind the group head handle after using the steamer,
    and their steam nozels were nasty non-swivelable poky little things you cant get angle on.

when we got home to the Ikon we were so happy!

So thanks to all thoes who may have answered my questions or suggested the Ikon in their posts, you were dead right. ;)

Re: a big thankyou for my Breville Ikon

Hi GM,

Very glad you enjoy your BI.
    Though Im not sure whether you meant this post to be a tongue in cheek humorous one or not, Im a bit of a joker/joke myself, anyway Im taking the bait.
    I have not had the good luck to try a Breville Ikon out
    I am very open to the machine itself would love to run one for a month against my beauties.
    I have 4 cheap older manual Gaggia espresso machines (my best) and use two different Gaggia machines every day, none are skinned in stainless steel or chromed and all are masterpieces of design and function. Milk steaming ability is a bit limited but as the only coffee drinker in my household that limitation is not of concern to me. The drip trays are also a bit limited on the Careazza and Evolution but this is unimportant and of no consequence to the pleasure they give me.
    I hope sometime you will be able to feel the real functional quality of these machines and realise that a cup of coffee does not gain a thing from the bling, stainless steel and glamour of a popular pedigree.
    If you gain confidence and comfort from your tribal membership that is fine but the quality of my tribe is not dependant on the recognition of those without knowledge of us.

You can call me a coffee slob, it is true
    but dont slander my babies
    Lindsay

Yes, its a pretty reasonable machine, Im glad youre having a good time. We have one in one office, and I enjoy the coffee I can make with it.

Cheap, makes good coffee, won a design award--so of course its no longer made! >:(

Greg

[movedhere] Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific) [move by] Javaphile.

Hey JP,

Are you trying to bury a tribal conflict before it escalates to civil war, after I have girded my loins and armed for objective discussion?
    Or is my paranoia showing?

Lindsay

I was feeling a little hopeless at making coffee with my Ikon until I upgraded the basket and tamper ...made all the difference in the world and have no desire to upgrade her until she dies.
    I am glad others appreciate Ikons abilities too!

+1 for Ikon fanclub. I read about it here just like you gmeddy and learned quite a bit about how to get a good coffee with <$500/600 to play with.

I bought a Pullman tamper, mostly because Im an incredible geek that has to have these geeky toys, but then purples recommendation pushed me over the edge.. and I have to say it made the biggest difference, having a fitted tamper+basket rather than the thing that came with the machine

I also got a Grindenstein knock box which I refer to as my cute bin in a manly kind of way.

I add my thanks to the coffee snobs forum anyway ;P

Knowledgethirst - Im pretty sure youre off the mark haha ;P Im sure the OP wasnt saying Breville make better espresso machines than Gaggia, but that he/she wasnt so impressed with their friends cheapie Gaggia. Paranoia, I declare!

Hi BI Lovers,

Would be happy to put a BI in my harem but couldnt pledge faith, not after knowing the Gaggia girls and who knows what other ladies have in store for me. My journey is far from over.
    Im relaxed now, comforted by what my girls do for me.

Kind Regards
    Lindsay

yes by no means was i trying to say all Brevilles are better than Gaggias. one of my brothes has a newer/cheaper model breville and it was rubbish as well IMHO.
    I have used a Gaggia "Baby" and it seemed quite nice, apart from the weird type of steam wand.

And i understand that some true coffee snobs dont steam their milk, or even put milk in their coffee because it may taint the pure holy coffee.

but obviously most people are not true snobs to that degree, and a bit of quality in the steam wand is highly appreciated.

My original purpose of this thread was to thank anyone who had a hand in recommending the Ikon as a good first machine. And i must again say, its gotta be one of the best for its price.
    I did see it not long ago in David Jones, looking quite dull and "old tech" beside all the blinged up new machines. but the price tag on it was 499, a testimate to its true value. - although im happy to say i got mine for 170 ;D

I found my Ikon unused and unappreciated at a garage sale for $100...sure the plastic spoon was missing and she only had one of the nasty double floored baskets but the machine itself was is perfect brand new order.

Quote Originally Posted by 2A2F282A363F5A0 link=1255682734/9#9 date=1258247143
    I found my Ikon unused and unappreciated at a garage sale for $100...sure the plastic spoon was missing and she only had one of the nasty double floored baskets but the machine itself was is perfect brand new order.

Remember to check in the accessories drawer under the water tank!
    When I started to use the one at work I was assured that the double basket, along with several other accessories, had never arrived with the machine.

They werent worried because they only drank singles using the best pre-ground Arabica from the supermarket. :P

They were all in place when I opened the drawer. ;D

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 3E343C3D3D20590 link=1255682734/0#0 date=1255682733
    all these were rubbish in that they didnt let off the steam preassure behind the group head handle after using the steamer...
    Hello. I find that my Ikon/BES400 doesnt let off the steam pressure behind the group head. I get grinds/srpay everywhere. Is there some knack to this please? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by 05100D0E11010A0B07620 link=1255682734/11#11 date=1259986707
    Hello. I find that my Ikon/BES400 doesnt let off the steam pressure behind the group head. I get grinds/srpay everywhere. Is there some knack to this please? Thanks in advance.
    Its broken grolschie. ;) *Its hello service centre Im afraid.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread that - thought you were referring to the 800.