Thread: Backflushing? (Rancilio Audrey)

Backflushing? (Rancilio Audrey)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,
    I have a Rancilio Audrey which I tried to backflush last night for the first time. I followed the instructions of placing the cleaning powder in a blind filter and going through several 10 sec cycles with 10 sec breaks in between, but I ended up with water leaking everywhere and at the end when I removed the filter it looked like all of the cleaning powder was still there and hadnt gone through the machine at all! Hope someone can give some tips :)
    Cheers,
    Feli

Re: Backflushing? (Rancilio Audrey)

What kind of blind filter were you using? Metal basket with no holes or rubber disk?

A metal basket without holes!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 40434A4F4E495640260 link=1258154386/2#2 date=1258154933
    A metal basket without holes!
    Where are you located?

What cleaning powder and how much ?

It will take several flushes for the powder to dissolve
    You only need 1/2 a tea spoon at most

The pressure needs to be released for the coffee grunge to flow into the drip tray before removing the group handle
    KK

I used half a teaspoon of Clean Machine Premium Espresso Machine Cleaner. Im located in Canberra.

[movedhere] General Coffee Related... [move by] Javaphile.

Quote Originally Posted by 56727B7B78784256726E70721D0 link=1258154387/4#4 date=1258155473
    It will take several flushes for the powder to dissolve
    You only need 1/2 a tea spoon at most

The pressure needs to be released for the coffee grunge to flow into the drip tray before removing the group handle
    KK
    So perhaps I should just try again and do more cycles? Does the pressure release itself or do I have to do something or should I stick to 10 sec cycles? And what should I expect to happen? Ive just done some browsing and have read that you should get suds in the drip tray or would that depend on the type of cleaner used? So many questions!

Randy Glass has a good description for back-flushing espresso machines
    http://www.espressomyespresso.com/

However I should point out & should apply to the Audrey
    Snip: from another site
    Backflushing the Silvia is NOT recommended by the Rancilio S.p.A. - Any damage you incur from backflushing a Rancilio Silvia is not covered under warranty, I repeat, this procedure is at your own risk, and can void your warranty.

KK

Thankyou! Just what I needed, Ill do some more reading. Have in the meantime also stumbled across Rancilios reccomendation not to backflush the Silvia. Ive already tried now... hm.

Ive just had the Audrey warming up as I was contemplating trying the backflushing again and have noticed that it is leaking water. When I tried the backflush last night I ended up with water everywhere, could it have damaged a seal somewhere in the process?

Quote Originally Posted by 5E5D54515057485E380 link=1258154387/10#10 date=1258159897
    Ive just had the Audrey warming up as I was contemplating trying the backflushing again and have noticed that it is leaking water. *When I tried the backflush last night I ended up with water everywhere, could it have damaged a seal somewhere in the process?
    How old is your machine and when was the last time the seal was replaced, I had to replace my Silvia seal after 12 months of use as it had compressed and began to leak, its not too hard to do.
    When I backflushed Silvia I used a rubber disc in group handle withouth basket, a half teaspoon on Cafetto, locked it in ran until pressure built up then released handle and emptied out gunk while trying to keep as much cleaner in handle for next flush, I kept doing this until there was no gunk coming from group then ran fresh water through to clear away any residue.

Im the third owner of the Audrey and have had it for almost two years now. The previous owner gave me a spare seal that is meant to go between the group handle and head. Is this the seal that you mean and something I could replace myself?

Quote Originally Posted by 24272E2B2A2D3224420 link=1258154387/12#12 date=1258163783
    Im the third owner of the Audrey and have had it for almost two years now. *The previous owner gave me a spare seal that is meant to go between the group handle and head. *Is this the seal that you mean and something I could replace myself?
    Yep thats the group seal, its not too hard to change, when I did Silvia I used a self tapping screw and drove it carefully into the rubber seal and then pulled it and the seal out with a pair of pliers, gave the area a good clean and then inserted the new seal, it took a few shots to bed in but no dramas.

Thankyou for your help! In the meantime I managed to replace the group seal, but the machine was still leaking. A trip to Cosmorex and all fixed now (hose had come off water pump) and making lovely coffee!