Thread: breville 800 class espresso machine

fc

breville 800 class espresso machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone this is my first posting and would like to ask if anyone out there knows about the Breville 800 Class espresso machine. Is it possible to obtain a non pressurised PF so I can experiment with my 2 day old Rancillio doserless grinder. I find that I cant achieve a 25ml extraction in 30secs with the current pressurised PF.

I welcome any advice or suggestions.

Kind regards, Franco Colacicco

Re: breville 800 class espresso machine

brevilles and sunbeams use the same baskets, so read this thread: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1141290048.

Or, see this thread: http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/wor...tralasia/59106.

Have fun!

I have had 3 or 4 machines inc Silva but the Breville 800 is the bset yet for ease of use and taste. Few problems after 8 months use havnt had filter problems that I read about.
    Many friends having tasted my coffee have rushed to buy inc some with very expensive machines shop around for price got mine for under $280 new.

Breville 800 gives a better taste than the Silvia? Wow... ::) :-? :o

I guess it depends on petes technique. Perhaps with old coffee, incorrect grind and poor tamping the pressurised baskets may helping things to look good, whereas do this with the Silvia youd get just overextracted brown water. But youd have to presume the technique of the said friends who rushed out to buy an 800 was similarly mediocre.

Of course, use proper supplies and technique and the Silvia wins every day. There can be no argument on this given the flaws in the 800s basic thermoblock design. To suggest otherwise is much like saying a Barinas better than a Ferrari because its easier to get in to.

i was just about to start up a thread about the breville 800es. its been about 8 months for me also since i picked one up for 260 bucks from the breville/sunbeam clearance centre. nothing was wrong with it so we thought yeah why not considering it was selling for 450 in shops. still is i think. when i bought it first i thought i had made a big mistake but i tell you after swapping to non pressurised pf baskets(krups i think) and lots of practice i am making those coffees which got me passionate about coffee right here right now on this very machine. coffee definately makes a difference. i am using 3 day old forza blend from veneziano and while its not as good as it was a few days ago, its still much better than freshly ground nutshack coffee. i do really need a grinder sooner or later but until then my coffee definately hits the spot and makes me go ahhhh.

its all about the practice. when you become one with your machine and know all of its intricacies and shortcomings you can verily compensate and tune the variables to a tee! but yer change your basket. thats the main thing. change it now. if you search this forum you will find the model number for that basket. dont bother with the single. it doesnt fit well and wont tamp well. just get the double. i am doing quite well but when i have the spare cash i will buy a good tamper and emo grinder. till then im so so happy with my little system of pulling shots. i just did the veneziano intro course with David and its made me even more confident and has improved my shots.

with the milk frothing i found that the steam wand part should stay on. put just enough milk into the provided jug to reach the tip of the wand and let it start frothing on its own. you dont even need to hold it. this machine doesnt have heaps of pressure and so you have to let it froth for about 40 seconds but if you do it this way, it will heat the water just enough and it will give you microfroth. this is the silky stuff. just enough for one cup at a time. just get ur filter cleaned and packed in preparation.

i find that with a 40-50ml shot and about the milk from the froth method i suggested you will get the right ratio. well that fits my taste profile anyway.

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Pullman link=1142123518/0#4 date=1189061783
    I guess it depends on petes technique. Perhaps with old coffee, incorrect grind and poor tamping the pressurised baskets may helping things to look good, whereas do this with the Silvia youd get just overextracted brown water. But youd have to presume the technique of the said friends who rushed out to buy an 800 was similarly mediocre.

Of course, use proper supplies and technique and the Silvia wins every day. There can be no argument on this given the flaws in the 800s basic thermoblock design. To suggest otherwise is much like saying a Barinas better than a Ferrari because its easier to get in to.
    nah get rid of the pressurised PFs. you will notice a difference if you use freshly ground aa coffee.

i dont think using car analogies work when comparing coffee machines.

i think its got to do with how well you know ur machine and how well the way you make it fits ur taste.

my friend whos also a coffee snob and owns a gaggia classic has commented very favourably on the quality of shots the thermoblock puts out compared to his boiler.
    thermoblocks are ready to go as soon as you turn them on. boilers are not. at least they got that as a definite class leader. I had a laugh

Quote Originally Posted by refsta link=1142123518/0#6 date=1191233865

nah get rid of the pressurised PFs. you will notice a difference if you use freshly ground aa coffee.

i dont think using car analogies work when comparing coffee machines.

i think its got to do with how well you know ur machine and how well the way you make it fits ur taste.

my friend whos also a coffee snob and owns a gaggia classic has commented very favourably on the quality of shots the thermoblock puts out compared to his boiler.
    thermoblocks are ready to go as soon as you turn them on. boilers are not. at least they got that as a definite class leader. I had a laugh

I guess it depends on petes technique
    As I said, technique is important; in fact barista skill is one of the big variables in extraction. However some machines have absolute advantages over others. Cheap thermoblocks are inherently unstable in temperature which can lead to unpredictable results. I wont repeat what others have said but Id refer you to http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/july2002.html for more information on the shortcomings of thermoblocks over boilers as a stable hot water source in an espresso machine.

Your statement of "i think its got to do with how well you know ur machine and how well the way you make it fits ur taste" has its merits but its too exclusive and overlooks certain unignorable factors. For example, to apply that same rationale to motor racing would be like saying the sort of bike youre on makes no difference to who will win the race, its all got to do with rider skill and how well you know your bike. So according to that rationale, put Casey Stoner on a postie bike and hell still win. Technique is important, but the quality of the machine cant be overlooked.

You can work out a technique that works well on thermoblocks, or for that matter one which works poorly on boiler machines; Ive had good milk drinks from both thermoblock machines and boiler machines with good technique, so it can be done; but all things being equal the boiler machine will generally give better results in the cup, particularly in the case of the two machines youve mentioned. While cheap thermoblocks have their advantages (such as heat up time and of course cost), most of them dont relate to the quality of the espresso, which presumably is what were all here for. I still think the car analogy is valid as far as analogies make a comparison without intending to fulfil in every point.

Quote Originally Posted by refsta link=1142123518/0#6 date=1191233865

I agree with the advice to get a normal filter basket, I noticed an improvement on the old Breville that I started with.
    However I would also like to point out the slight misconception that thermoblock machines are "ready to go as soon as you turn them on"....any machine can be used as soon as its up to temp....however,....
    I found that if I gave my old Breville a significant warm up time that it poured much better shots, and I think this is because the thermoblock is only part of the brewing system, as is the boiler in other machines, and the same reasons a Silvia or Gaggia, or whatever will pour better shots applies to the thermoblock machines, give the grouphead and PF time to heat up well and it helps.
    Of course it is also possible to pour terrible shots out of any machine....even commercial ones.

With fresh beans, freshly ground and normal filter basket, good technique and some practice, the thermoblock machines can produce surprisingly good coffee.

Bullitt

i love coffee :)

and yeah you are right about the pf and basket requiring heat up time
    i usually soak the pf and separate the basket in some hot water before i use it to clean it anyway. but my gf leaves the machine on between her coming home and me coming home so its all nice and hot and ready to go.

with respect to this discussion, what is the difference between pressurised and unpressurised PF? Apart from the pressure, obviously... in other words, what effect does it have on the end result?

Is the general feeling that the Breville 800 is okay - you get what you pay for - but you really need to put an unpressurised PF in to get any decent coffee out of it?

(I have seen a Breville 800 for sale, $60 NZD, used once ... so was looking for more info and came across this thread...)

Also, I saw a comment about tiger stripes and red flecks in one response... can someone explain?

Thanks!