Thread: Totally No Idea and Totally Confused

Totally No Idea and Totally Confused

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Everyone and Happy New Year to you all.

This is my 1st post and I am starting to wonder if I am way over my head in trying to buy a machine for what I can afford.

I have been looking on eBay and private ads, as I am on a pension and the 1st machine I ever bought a few years ago was from Coles for $80 and had to have it replaced after a few times of use and even the 2nd one was just as bad, as the knob for the frother just kept on breaking.

So I really dont know what to buy, as I am looking for a 2nd hand machine for somewhere under $150, and really dont know what to look for, as I do like my coffee, not a tea drinker at all, sorry I am a bit of a cappuccino lover and love the froth on top. I can buy a 2nd hand Lumi for around $75, but have to drive over 100kms to pick it up, as I live over 200kms north of Brisbane and we dont have too many options near where I live. I have considered Breville and Sunbeam but now I am totally lost as to what to get and what to look for.
    So can someone give me some ideas as to brand and what I should be a look out for either in good or bad as I am totally confused.

I know my price range is not good, but I can afford what I can afford.

Thank you anyone for your help and advice as I would totally appreciate it.

Jane
    :D

TC

Re: Totally No Idea and Totally Confused

Hi Jane,

In the under $500 category, keep your eyes peeled for a pre-loved Breville Ikon..

Good luck ;)

2mcm

You also need to factor in the cost of a grinder.

The quality of coffee starts at the bean, goes through the roaster, through the grinder and finally through the machine. When the quality is lost, so is the taste.

With $150 Id be going for a second hand Sunbeam 0450 grinder, or a Kyocera hand grinder, and an Aeropress--but if espresso is what you really want, then a real cheap machine from the opp. shop with either of the grinders.

If you have time available do consider roasting your own beans, good quality is fairly easy to accomplish. There is lots of info here on inexpensive roasting set-ups--and home roasting means cheap coffee!

Greg

I dont think you are way over your head.

$150 is a tough budget. As mentioned, the fresh roasted beans, bur grinder and filtered water are the first problems to sort if the shot quality is wanted. The filtered water will keep the coffee machine alive longer too.

I would be inclined to suggest that you go look for a bur grinder first. This gets you into being able to work with good base coffee. Even the el-cheapo thermoblock sunbeam and breville machines will then give you results that are at least better than what you get dished up at most cafes. And after an $80 device experience you will be in heaven. ;)

If you are stuck on a budget for a water filter you can go the old kanbrook water jug for about $10 from Bunnings. Even that will make a big difference.

Welcome Jane... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

As you will read, oft repeated, a decent quality grinder is probably more important than the espresso machine you end up with. With a limited budget such as yours, I would recommend buying the best grinder you can; say up to 90% of the total budget; then purchase an AeroPress Brewer or one of many manual brewers on the market.

This way, using high quality freshly ground beans (on demand only) you will experience some pretty awesome coffee. You could then sock the pennies away over time, for an espresso machine that will be a good match for the grinder. If possible, try to visit one or more of our Site Sponsors (listed over on the left side of the page) and ask them to demonstrate what is possible when using a good quality grinder, fresh coffee and a couple of different manual brew methods. Im sure you will be very impressed..... 8-)

Cheers,
    Mal.

Thank you for everyone who has given suggestions. *In regards to water we only have tank water and not town water so I dont know if this makes a big difference. *

After reading some of the posts etc, I now know that I know nothing about coffee or machines, as some of the jargon used I dont know what some of it means. *Maybe this is because I have lived in the country for the last 7 years, and was not working at least 2 years before that. *

Out the other day my husband found a coffee he did not mind, it was called Merlo, as he is not really a coffee drinker, and when we have gone to cafes quite often he complains that the coffee taste bitter. *Maybe this is because either the person doing the coffee has done it incorrectly or it is just the brand, but I have no idea at all. *

I know my budget is very small compared to what people are paying for their machines. *You all talk about baskets, pressurised and non pressurised and once again I have no idea.

Does any one know anything about a Spidem Trevi Digital Espresso Machine at all or should I stay well clear of a 2nd hand one, the person says it has been serviced by Expresso Doctor in Brisbane and is working ok, it is nearly at my budget but I was wondering if I should consider going over my budget to get it.

I have looked for the Breville Ikon as mentioned, but havent found one in my price range. *Also the coffee grinder, I bought a few years back a hand blender thing that came with an attachment to grind coffee, so I dont know whether this is worth considering. *As I was just going to buy coffee already grounded when I find one that I particularly liked. *

Also there are so many Sunbeam models on the market and again are not sure.

I really do think that I am getting way over my head and feel like a total dork about coffee. *In my fifties and know nothing about coffee I should be ashamed. *My hubby is a tea freak, which I cannot tolerate the taste of tea. as I like my coffee too much, but only drink 1 or 2 cups a day of the better tasting dry freeze stuff but I am so sick of it and want something better in my upcoming and older age.

So if someone lives near Gympie Qld as I am a bit further north, that can give me some lessons on coffee I would greatly appreciate it.

Jane

Quote Originally Posted by 3327293B32323C3B3730395E0 link=1262306311/5#5 date=1262648371
    Does any one know anything about a Spidem Trevi Digital Espresso Machine at all or should I stay well clear of a 2nd hand one, the person says it has been serviced by Expresso Doctor in Brisbane and is working ok, it is nearly at my budget but I was wondering if I should consider going over my budget to get it.
    I just googled and the one I found was a fully automatic priced at over $1500 new.
    Most Coffee Snobs here dont recommend fully automatics.
    If the one youve seen is similar but close to your budget Id worry why so cheap.

Do you have to have espresso based coffee?
    If not, Id recommend an Aeropress from sponsor cuppacoffee.
    Paired with a good grinder they make a great tasting clean coffee.
    My wife insists on my making her coffee these days with the Aeropress despite the fact that I have a big and shiny espresso machine on the kitchen bench.

By the way, a lot of people like Merlo coffee.

An Aeropress would cost around $50 and say a Sunbeam 0450 grinder about $150 new but if you are lucky you might be able to find a 2nd hand one for $100.

Thank you for your feedback, but I want to be able to make Cappuccinos which is the only way that my hubby will actually have a coffee, and I have to admit that I am a froth addict myself as well as enjoying a decent coffee.

Also where do I find Merlo coffee from, as I live 200kms north of Brisbane and 40kms from our nearest regional town.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

google their website, youll find it no problems, also, a milk frother is another option, cheap too, at around the $20 mark, consists basically of a cylinder that milk is poured into, and a mesh plunger is vigorously plunged up and down to create the frothed milk, it is then poured into a shot of espresso, the aeropress can do that, so a possible shopping list could be,

Grinder - kyocera hand grinder/second hand EM0450 ~$99

Espresso - Aeropress ~$49

Milk - Frother ~$20

Thats $168........getting closer now hey!

cheers
    warren