Thread: best machine for price now breville ikon not available?

best machine for price now breville ikon not available?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,
    I purchased a breville ikon after reading up on this forum and it has been great, but the pump has now gone, still under 12 mth warranty,so repair shop has informed me that they will contact place I bought it from (Breville Seconds Outlet at Tingalpa, Brisbane) for them to replace the machine with same or model of similar value-I paid $200. Now that Ikons are not made anymore,what Im concerned about is what breville machine of similar value has a boiler as I believe this is what makes the ikon so good for the price.
    Otherwise am I within my rights to get full refund so I can purchase elsewhere? And if they do refund, what is the best machine for around the $400 price now? I know I may be jumping the gun, as they may still have ikons in stock, but I want to be prepared.

Re: best machine for price now breville ikon not available?

Quote Originally Posted by 550B17080C0E57630 link=1262647870/0#0 date=1262647870
    am I within my rights to get full refund so I can purchase elsewhere?
    If you were in NSW I could answer the question.
    Best I can do is recommend you look at the QLD Fair Trading site and find out what our rights are.
    http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/consumer-refunds.htm

Hi Thundergod,

Thanks for that. Yes, I suppose I need to do some research and read the fine print of their warranty too.
    I suppose Im mainly wanting ideas for the next best machine with similar pricing as the ikon. Breville has more expensive ones but they dont have a boiler as far as I know.

Ive just talked with seconds outlet and they have plenty of Ikons there for my replacement, so I was definitely jumping the gun. I shall be receiving my replacement machine very shortly. Thank goodness, cause coffee made with my little aeropress just doesnt come near the mark ( it has now been three weeks since putting the ikon in for repair).
    Still wondering why the pump would go, as I hope it wasnt something I caused. I dont want it happening on the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by 3769756A6E6C35010 link=1262647870/3#3 date=1262749903
    Still wondering why the pump would go, as I hope it wasnt something I caused. I dont want it happening on the new one.
    Even if a pump does fail again, Im pretty sure you could retro-fit a standard Ulka pump in place of the original for reasonable cost. These dont wear out in a hurry, so long as you dont run them dry excessively - about the only thing that will kill it really.... :)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 025C405F5B5900340 link=1262647870/3#3 date=1262749903
    coffee made with my little aeropress just doesnt come near the mark
    My wife prefers that I use the Aeropress for her coffee.
    Each to their own.