Thread: Breville Ikon BES400 takes a while to heat milk

Breville Ikon BES400 takes a while to heat milk

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I am onto *my second Ikon in 7 months, the first one had the pump go and I was able to get another under warranty in place of it(from Breville Seconds at Tingalpa, Brisbane). It has been fine for the past 2 months but it seems to be taking longer *and longer to heat the milk, can take a good 3 minutes to get a third cup in the small jug *up to 65 c. The residual water drains out of the steam wand fine and begins to steam well but it just seems very slow once I start the steaming process. I always wait for the steam button to stop flashing before I turn the knob on fully in the milk. Could the wand be partly blocked even though steam still seems to come out? I only use filtered rain water in the tank. Hope some one can help as I dont feel like the drive back to Brisbane to get another replacement.

Re: Breville Ikon BES400 takes a while to heat milk

The Ikon is a boiler machine, and the boiler needs frequent re-filling to steam the best. I never steam more than 100ml of milk at a time, so Im not sure whether the pump runs to fill the boiler while steaming. If it doesnt come on while steaming, the boiler is running out of water to steam and is in danger of dying of dehydration!

On most single boiler, dual purpose machines they recommend re-filling the boiler manually after steaming milk for two drinks.

Have you used the special tool to remove and clean the steam arm head, including reaming the holes?

Greg

Hi Greg,
    I have just used the little pin tool to clean out the holes and I also removed the end of the steaming wand for a thorough clean out. The difference is dramatic! I thought because water and steam was still coming through the holes that they must be clear, but obviously they were partially blocked. Thanks :)

When you refer to frequent refilling of the boiler, what do you mean? Should I be doing something other than what the manual says after steaming each amount of milk?

Im glad that worked for you Rimel.

As far as the manual goes, I havent read much of it. 8-) Id had two single boiler/dual function machines before the Ikon, and I knew that refilling the boiler after each two cup steam was essential to stop it boiling dry--especially with very small boilers.

Greg

Hi Greg,
    Ok. This is what the Ikon manual says and what I do after steaming milk for each cup of coffee: After cleaning the wand I direct it over the tray and turn the steam knob on full . I then press the coffee button and hold it in until water streams out of the holes in the wand. I then turn off the steam knob. The machine is then ready to make the next cup of coffee. Is this all that is required?

Yup--that refills the boiler.

Greg