Thread: Corroding Sunbeam drip tray

Corroding Sunbeam drip tray

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I have a Sunbeam EM4800C and one of the features of this machine is that it is "Constructed entirely of metal components", with the inference of higher quality, and certainly superior to plastic drip trays.

However, with mine less than 12 months old, severe corrosion started to form in my drip tray. It is now 14 months old, and there is bad corrosion in four places. The corrosion is fantastic to behold. I can clean it all off, then within ONE day it is all back again (approx 5mm think of bubbly gunk).

It is obviously caused by dissimilar metals - the outer coating is a silvery matt metal, then it appears to be copper under that, and then Im guessing an aluminium alloy under that - the copper corrodes spectacularly with the metal under that (I know copper and aluminium are definately galvanically incompatible, so Im not surprised at what I see).

And, no, Ive never scrubbed this. It gets a rinse and gentle wipe with a cloth at the end of each day (about 6 cups made a day).

Has anyone else observed this, or have I got a one-off lemon?

Tassiebean

TC

Re: Corroding Sunbeam drip tray

Quote Originally Posted by 49717075465376777C6A190 link=1268783309/0#0 date=1268783309
    Has anyone else observed this, or have I got a one-off lemon?

Tassiebean
    Sounds like they used some special high quality Chinese stainless steel in yours....

Normally, I would have expected corrosion throughout the machine by now*:-? : :D

Quote Originally Posted by 5D65646152476263687E0D0 link=1268783309/0#0 date=1268783309
    have I got a one-off lemon?
    No, they are very egalitarian with their lemons!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 45425951564443370 link=1268783309/2#2 date=1268784237
    Quote Originally Posted by 5D65646152476263687E0D0 link=1268783309/0#0 date=1268783309
    have I got a one-off lemon?
    No, they are very egalitarian with their lemons!
    ROFLOL

Love this culture of snide comments *:D and the big words ;D

As said before Ya get what ya pay for and all SS is not the same... Assumption is that SS does not rust.. *WRONG.. *The cheep grades do; but have other properties that one may be looking for.

NOTE 1:

If I remember correctly... The drip tray is lightly chrome plated so any thing is possible and could have been a manufacturing fault at the outset.

Ya could try Sunbeam for a replacement.. As a Manufacturing problem to me; in the first instance. *A reason they appear to have moved to plastic drip tray liners *;D

Bugger... Only just dumped two the other week... Another CSer may have one just hanning around..

Never use a scourer... Just a soft cloth and some cafetto or other coffee cleaner and warm water.. * *

My guess; looking at the pics is that it sits for some time with coffee waste and at some stage a scourer cloth has been used and it has lifted the chrom plating and the crap casiting material is now fully reactive.

Tassiebean, I have the same machine and the same mess in my drip tray. Yes it is a problem that has been seen by a lot of people but apparently the newer trays are supposed to rectify the problem. I dont know if its true, I cant justify the cost for a new on on such a cheap machine. I have a much more annoying issue with my machine, that being of bursting from the top of the group head and no amount of new seals will fix this problem the nice fine quality coffee, its just not built for it, only course supermarket coffee.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 303F3A2320273621656B530 link=1268783309/4#4 date=1268809799
    Tassiebean, I have the same machine and the same mess in my drip tray. *Yes it is a problem that has been seen by a lot of people but apparently the newer trays are supposed to rectify the problem. *I dont know if its true, I cant justify the cost for a new on on such a cheap machine. *I have a much more annoying issue with my machine, that being of bursting from the top of the group head and no amount of new seals will fix this problem the nice fine quality coffee, its just not built for it, only course supermarket coffee.
    Yep the group is a black plastic compound..

With unpressurised baskets and over dosing etc.. They can split and or stretch...

If I remember correctly... I have a couple of lightly used ones just hanging around taking up space...

A_M

OT...

Yes; found two special black groups for the EM4800..

tassie i have a em4800 that is kicking around our place and Ive had it for 7 years and the drip tray has corrosion in it. it looks pretty ordinary but as said previously you get what you pay for.

if the looks put you off, replace the cover and put it back under the group head... out of site out of mind ;D ;D I had a laugh