Thread: New and looking for opinions on setup.

New and looking for opinions on setup.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

Im new and have done a little research and come up with the following two setups.

my budget is $400

whats your opinion on these? and do you have any other suggestions?

1. $370 - Sunbeam EM4800C + Sunbeam EM0450 <- $70 cheaper than EM0480

2. replace the above grinder with DeLonghi KG100

3. $400 - Breville 800ES + (Free Breville grinder BCG450)

Cheers,
    Springy

Caffeine Junky

Re: New and looking for opinions on setup.

Option 1. is the best in my opinion.

The Breville grinder does not grind fine enough for espresso. There is a simple modification that can be done which improves the grind but I do not have personal experience with this modification and recently read a post where another member found it was still not fine enough.

I have no experience with the DeLonghi but believe it is also not up to make espresso.

I started my coffee journey with a similar set up although I bought everything second hand and actually made some money when I re-sold soon after.

You will need to get yourself an unpressurised basket or use a Dremmel (or other tool) to take off the bottom floor of the pressurised baskets the machine comes with.

Firstly welcome to Coffee Snobs.

Secondly forget the KG100.

The 0450 and 0480 are as far as I know internally the same.
    I bought the cheaper one myself.

I have no experience with the 4800C.

Dont be sucked in to buying the Breville because of the free grinder (its free for a reason - you get what you pay for if you catch my drift).

The Delonghi is rubbish for Espresso even when modded and add the Breville to that list too. The 450 is "adequate" for Espresso but have a read around the grinders section you will see some fairly simple mods to improve it if needed.

If the 4800 comes with pressurised baskets (think so) then see if you can get a free un pressurised one and a tamper in the deal ;)

Next step start saving for when upgraditis strikes ;D

Thanks heaps everyone for your opinions it seems to be a clean cut decision on what to get. Just one more thing.

I keep hearing about the un-pressurised baskets for the 4800... How does this effect the espresso?

Cheers,
    Springy

Caffeine Junky

A non-pressurised basket, which is used in all serious coffee machines, has a single floor with many holes. *A pressurised basket has 2 floors. *The first has many holes, just like an unpressurised, the bottom floor has one single hole.

"Pressurised coffee baskets come standard with most domestic branded coffee machines such as Breville, Krups and Sunbeam. Forcing coffee through a single pin hole “pressurised basket” will create a faux or fake crema from already stale pre-ground coffee. This “crema” is essentially aerated and whipped coffee. Creating this fake crema comes at the expense of taste regardless of whether you are using pre-ground or freshly ground coffee!" from The Espresso School website

Thanks heaps for that answer that was very help full.

Caffeine Junky

No problem.

Every Sunbeam (apart from the EM6910) and everyone Breville (apart from the Fresca) come with the same 51mm unpessurised baskets as far as I know.

There are 2 options for going unpressurised:

1. Use the Krups unpressurised baskets which are fairly easy to get
    2. Cut the bottom floor out using a Dremmel or other tool

I found the holes in the Krups unpressurised baskets to be a little too large and so it was hard to get a good shot without coffee fines getting through the basket. Never tried cutting out the bottom floor but reports on here have suggested this gives better results.

hey all,
    i have a sunbeam em4800c and i have just gone and got the krups unpressurised baskets. Just a quick question, do you need to remove the black plastic insert from the handle or does it make any difference?

Caffeine Junky

Its affectionately known around here as a Graeme and yes it should be removed. It will just collect crud.

Congrats guys, has a 4800C for a couple of years before I got my EM6910. It is a nice machine and certainly doesnt do too badly. Enjoy :)

I would get a EM2300 Ristretto rather than the EM4800C and learn to temp surf it (as well as depressurising the double basket). While this makes it more complicated to use than the EM4800 (and all the other single thermoblock Sunbeams and Brevilles), it can actually make a decent short black (the basis for all espresso coffee drinks).

I fully support the EM450 over the other grinders as they have a poor upper burr assembly system that it not stable or strong enough for espresso grinding (theyre OK for french press or if you insist on using pressurised baskets).