Thread: What grind for Sunbeam EM2300 Ristretto?

What grind for Sunbeam EM2300 Ristretto?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

Having trouble pouring consistent shots from my EM2300. I havent purchased a grinder yet - EM0480 coming soon, so in the meantime I have been buying pre ground beans.

Sometimes the shot is perfect, but others its sporadic and spits/splutters everywhere.

Do I need to alter my tamping technique? Make sure the grind is not too cool? Ask the shop to grind it a little finer?

Noob speaking here, any assistance appreciated :)

Cheers,
    Ian

Re: What grind for Sunbeam EM2300 Ristretto?

Numbers on the dial wont help

My advice is trial
    This may help
    Adjust the burrs till they touch
    Back off 1/4 turn

Grind and do a trial shot
    If not right
    Adjust the grind - fine or course as required

For a visual reference he grind itself should be close to table salt or finer

KK

Are you using the pressurised baskets? If you are they are designed for a Stupormarket mid grind so if you have a cafe grind for espresso for you this may be causing your sputter problem? Either that or the Pressurised baskets are clagged up (tech term ;0 ) under the first screen.

Solution get an un pressurised basket if you already havnt
    Get a grinder :)

Yes - its the OEM basket so it would be pressurised

I will have to get a non pressurised one. I believe KRUPS make one to fit the Ristrettos

Thanks
    :)

The Krups baskets seem to be undersized from a lot of comments Ive seen here and at other sites.

Its better to use a dremel or angle grinder to cut off the base (you need to leave a thin edge to hold in the upper floor as it is only pressed in). And only use the double basket to make single espresso shots - the single basket is so small that it is basically useless.

Even with a grinder, you will find tat you will need to alter the setting on different days (or even the same day) as the temperature and humidity changes)

Thanks for the tips. I dont think Im quite at the level to angle grind the basket yet...

Turns out my grinds were way too fine. Switched to a coarser setting and the shots are pouring well again :)

Be aware that the double floor baskets can get really clogged between the layers, and the final small hole is easily blocked.

Since Ive modified the double floor baskets on every machine I use this is only speculation, but to clean that area periodically, Id be putting a teaspoon of Cafetto in the basket and pumping it through into a cup.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 6C594E4C7C4459464A474F2B0 link=1273106958/6#6 date=1273886837
    Be aware that the double floor baskets can get really clogged between the layers, and the final small hole is easily blocked.

Since Ive modified the double floor baskets on every machine I use this is only speculation, but to clean that area periodically, Id be putting a teaspoon of Cafetto in the basket and pumping it through into a cup.

Greg
    Youre telling me it clogs easily :-/ Apart from Cafetto, are there any other cleaning methods you recommend?

Cheers
    Ian

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 73717F68681A0 link=1273106958/7#7 date=1274310928
    Quote Originally Posted by 6C594E4C7C4459464A474F2B0 link=1273106958/6#6 date=1273886837

Greg
    Youre telling me it clogs easily *:-/ *Apart from Cafetto, are there any other cleaning methods you recommend?

Cheers
    Ian
    Na...Not really.. Plenty of other methods... But no recommended at all.

I may have a spare modded sunbeam basket or even a krups around somewhere......

But if ya on the nth side...

AlexT is drooping over his Faema for me to look at around 8:00pm.. Ya can drop over and we can sort ya out at the same time.