Thread: Sunbeam 5800 extraction time

Sunbeam 5800 extraction time

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Not sure if any of our CSrs still use a Sunbeam 5800 (Ill be upgrading soon :) ), but I am just wondering how long do you find it takes to do a double shot? I timed some last night and using a fairly course grind (which I know I shouldnt but it was a test), it took 12-13 seconds and then when I used a preground quality shop coffee it took 17 seconds. Ive just started roasting my own beans and will be picking up a Mazzer Super Jolly tonight so I wanted to start trying to figure out if it was a machine thing or a grind thing.

I am still using the pressurised basket but do have an unpressurised basket on its way...

Are the machines just programmed to pour 70mls and not worry about the time taken or do I need to go back to basics and look at grind and tamp? Or is it the 15 bar of pressure thats doing this or the basket?

Any comments appreciated,

Thanks

A_M

Re: Sunbeam 5800 extraction time

Oh mY oH My *:D

So many points and all been discussed in various forms across many topics.

Sunbeam 5800 extraction time
    Today at 10:44 * *Not sure if any of our CSrs still use a Sunbeam 5800 (Ill be upgrading soon * ), but I am just wondering how long do you find it takes to do a double shot?
    Depends on the been and the grind and in your case the basket.

Any where from 5sec to the ideal 26sec (for me)

I timed some last night and using a fairly course grind (which I know I shouldnt but it was a test), it took 12-13 seconds and then when I used a preground quality shop coffee it took 17 seconds. *
    Sounds right for stale coffee

Ive just started roasting my own beans and will be picking up a Mazzer Super Jolly tonight so I wanted to start trying to figure out if it was a machine thing or a grind thing.
    2 + 2 = 5 *where 5 is good coffee. * Every action has an equal and opposite reaction... *Newton third law was about coffee - he just did not know it. *In addition the reaction may take the form of other physical qualities...

Further more coffee is not like paining with numbers...

In essence - a change in any of the raw components and or any bit of hardware and then what the USERS does; will cause a change in the outcome.

You have to figure it out... *No magic dial or number setting... *Rough guides at best.

I am still using the pressurised basket but do have an unpressurised basket on its way...
    The BAD and the Good *:D

Are the machines just programmed to pour 70mls and not worry about the time taken or

do I need to go back to basics and look at grind and tamp?
    No

and

YES

Or is it the 15 bar of pressure thats doing this or the basket?
    Pump might be rated at 15... But that is just marketing hype.

Would the average person be impressed by 9 or may be 10... NA

What is needed 9 to 10 - It is the reliability that is the real factor ...

10.100 As Sheldon has a break down from trying to stay under a 50 word responce *;D :D ;)

Thanks Anger Management, that certainly put a smile on my dial!! You definately know your coffee stuff, so thanks for the heads up on the type of bean as well - I didnt know that...

Good also to know that some shots can take anywhere from 5 to 26secs.

Ill keep on experimenting...although I must admit to finding experimentation a bit difficult - Im not used to it...its all facts, numbers and recipes for me...but its all part of the wonderful exciting journey and I guess this coffee stuff, is actually part of my own personal development - helping me get out of the comfort zone!

Thanks again

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 714651515250465F5F565D02330 link=1273711450/2#2 date=1273714489
    Thanks Anger Management, that certainly put a smile on my dial!! *You definately know your coffee stuff, so thanks for the heads up on the type of bean as well - I didnt know that...

Good also to know that some shots can take anywhere from 5 to 26secs. *

Ill keep on experimenting...although I must admit to finding experimentation a bit difficult - Im not used to it...its all facts, numbers and recipes for me...but its all part of the wonderful exciting journey and I guess this coffee stuff, is actually part of my own personal development - helping me get out of the comfort zone!

Thanks again
    Thats OK... Community spirit and sharing the PAIN :D

Nooooooo Good shots usually about 30sec (rough guide) I then to like my coffee the way I make it at about 26sec....

You could go 5 to 60 sec... You can do what ya like :D But the coffee may well be CRAP ::)

Personal development... CS does not care ;D

But trying to get people to understand good coffee and the many ways to prepare and to consume... Thats what it is all about ;D

;D

I did think 5 seconds was a bit unusual and certainly something I wouldnt aim for...I thought that 30s was more like it.

And youre right, good coffee is what its about. Life is too short for bad coffee!

Thanks again