Thread: Cheap thermoblocks vs Breville Ikon boiler?

Cheap thermoblocks vs Breville Ikon boiler?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, Im new to CSs and wish I had found it sooner.
    Ive been running a sunbeam 5600 for the past 4 years with sunbeam 480 grinder and it died a couple of days ago.
    I cant make the step up to a proper machine and confined to the land of Breville and Sunbeam I fear.
    I noticed the Breville Ikon mentioned a lot and found them at the outlest shop in Melbourne. They have a boiler compared to the thermobocks of all the other cheap machines.
    Is it worth buying his unit to get me thru the next couple of years rather than the thermoblocks.
    Any other sub 500 machines worth considering in Melb area?

Re: Cheap thermoblocks vs Breville Ikon boiler?

Theres a Breville for sale here but I think its still thermoblock.

Also consider the sunbeam 6910. Its twin thermoblock. Theres a review here against a Rancilio Silvia (how much are they these days?)

In terms of boiler, apparently the EM2300 has one, but it looks pretty cheap at $120.

Is there any chance of you affording a good machine in say 12 months. If so the stated Sunbeam Ristretto EM2300 is a good reliable machine. I had one for 12 months and used it a lot. I found the steam to be good. It would heat up in no time at all in the morning.

Being so cheap you could buy one and use it until you can afford something with lots of brass and then put it away in a cupboard for a rainy day or your next road trip(none of us like the blend 43 most place supply)

Quote Originally Posted by 685751564B4C7D604D5B4E47220 link=1275609621/2#2 date=1275629207
    Is there any chance of you affording a good machine in say 12 months.
    Ill go nuts in 12 days!!! :o

Ive listened to all of the advice about trying to put your money towards a better machine. To this end, I had a look at a 2nd hand refurbished Quaha Napoletana Series II with grinder. Not sure what theyre like but they seem to be solid. $400 is in my budget too. This might be best option until save for a better machine?

Quote Originally Posted by 647566696C74736275070 link=1275609621/3#3 date=1275639014
    Quaha Napoletana Series II w
    Look around here for Nemox or Lelit as well. Basically identical machines internally. There was a couple that have sold here over the last few months for $350-400 from memory. Thing to chack or ask is has it been used on filtered water in particular as it may need a good boiler descale.

As to the machine itself yep they are a good one :)

It wont perform any worse than the machine you were replacing so if you could live with that one up until now it shouldnt be a problem

Quote Originally Posted by 704F494E535465785543565F3A0 link=1275609621/5#5 date=1275649666
    It wont perform any worse than the machine you were replacing so if you could live with that one up until now it shouldnt be a problem
    I was kind of hoping it would be better than my current setup which doesnt make a decent shot but OK for milk based coffees. Ive only just learned about pressurised baskets too and figure that I might have been able to get a much better coffee from my old machine had I known this.
    All part of the learning :)

Im still tending toward 6yr old Napoletana over new Breville Ikon based on feedback so far. Thanks everyone.

That unit refurbed, will smash your current setup in terms of potential.

The thermo block cheapos are very limited. I would and did , take the Ikon over thermo block options as a cheapo back up.

Then again you could go and try and get yourself an awesome 2nd hand grinder for $400-500 and drink plunger coffee for a little while ;D

Im now the proud owner of a second hand Napoletana/Lelit combi. I need a 57mm tamper and experience using it but will enjoy the challenge. First few coffees have been variable but better than my old machine.
    Huge thanks to everyone who offered advice and to Dennis from Talkcoffee . Im looking forward to my coffee learning journey.

Good to hear.

Just a few tips moving from a machine with pressurised baskets to unpressurised.

1) Make sure you break up all the clumps in the coffee that you are bound to get on a cheap grinder.
    2) Double check that you are tamping even

If you do both of these things your coffees will be a lot more consistent. They are both things we know to do but if you consciously think about it the results are excellent. I know that I had a love hate relationship with my machine for the first month because the coffees were so inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by 744B4D4A5750617C5147525B3E0 link=1275609621/9#9 date=1276046957
    If you do both of these things your coffees will be a lot more consistent. *
    The only thing consistent about my pours are that they arent consistent. Im grinding through a lot of good coffee to make some pretty bad ones. ;D

Using the lelit combi so it has its own grinder. Have it fairly fine at present. Trying to find a 57mm tamper to suit. In Melbourne so any suggestions welcomed.