Thread: I think I brokened it :-/

I think I brokened it :-/

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Attempted to descale my little @#$@ tonight *>:( *(Sunbeam Cafe Ristretto). *Unscrewed the brewing mechanism, cleaned it, put the thing back together being very careful to replace the rubber seal properly.

Now I think its buggered. *If I run plain water through the porta-filter it will splutter furiously and not pour properly at all. *Also no matter what grind I try with my EM0480, it does not like it either.

Advice? *My tether ended a long time ago *::)

Re: I think I brokened it :-/

Am now thinking maybe the filter basket is clogged...its one of those double floor ones. Will soak it tonight in hot water and cleaning solution.

Quote Originally Posted by 61636D7A7A080 link=1276175675/1#1 date=1276214306
    Am now thinking maybe the filter basket is clogged...its one of those double floor ones. *Will soak it tonight in hot water and cleaning solution.
    Hold it up to the light, if you cant see thru the pinhole in the middle its clogged... use a safety pin or drawing pin to try to unclog it. I tried using the little needle supplied with my machine, it just bent...

Well it wasnt brokened, which is good :)

After a lot of fiddling, and feeding my EMO-480 over 2kg of crapbean, I finally discovered the key grind for my humble little setup. Ive been making some lovely cups most mornings when I have the time.

Next will be to upgrade the portafilter and basket to non pressurised and see what difference it makes.

My snob training is progressing well.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D3F312626540 link=1276175675/3#3 date=1277513791
    Next will be to upgrade the portafilter and basket to non pressurised and see what difference it makes.
    that will make a difference! I holesawed my PF and dremeled out the basket/filter bottom floor... much better, except when it squirts sideways over the top of the cup like just happened... Im getting some good shots on my humble breville cafe roma though!

Good to hear that the Ristretto is still ok. I use the Breville filter basket that fits from the Bar Italia (part # is ESP4/51 1-2 cup filter) as my non-pressurised basket and it is good. I ordered it from Brevilles customer service department.