Thread: Leaking Machine.

Leaking Machine.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    Im currently using a Sunbeam cafe crema for a few months. It was making pretty good coffee until it started leaking. When the pressure builds just after the start of the shot it leaks around the group handle as if the seal was faulty. However, ive replaced and swapped rubber seals and cleaned out the group etc and it still leaks!
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

A_M

Re: Leaking Machine.

Sunbeam cafe crema ??

Like saying I have a problem with a Holden..

Which model ?

I am making an assumption here that you are using the "pressurised basket" if so STOP IT NOW ;)

Sounds like your basket and the so called crema enhancer may be partially blocked up which results in abnormally high pressures in the group which in turn is causing your leak. On some of the better machines they run a 3 way valve which will limit the pressure in the group even if this happens but in your case the pump will drop in flow a bit and just keep bumping the pressure up.

A goos soak in Cafetto may help but throw the basket in the bottom draw and get an unpressurised one. If I am wrong about the pressurised basket then ignore all of the above ::)

Its an EM4800 machine.
    I am using the pressurised basket and thought that could be the problem too as I havent got around to replacing it yet, however ive used 3 different ones that all do the same thing.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 13000C515350630 link=1276558512/3#3 date=1276602851
    Its an EM4800 machine.
    I am using the pressurised basket and thought that could be the problem too as I havent got around to replacing it yet, however ive used 3 different ones that all do the same thing.
    Depending on how bad you have been abusing it ;)

Over dosing / really forcing group to lock in / holding teh group in as it tries to un wind and pop out and fine grind etc etc.... (no one ever does these mind you)...

Then the fibre impregnated group head/collar will have split... Happens all teh time...

They are a spare part... But so long ago since I replaced one... Not sure, but think you can replace ya self..

Not: As it is a compound material... When you get it out,... It may not look split.. A bit of flexing and close inspection will quickly prove if it is or is not split.

What is ya location.. Then find a Authorised Sunbeam agent and depending on why they are.. Cross ya fingers.

Sounds like a possibility as im used to commercial machines and may have been a bit hard on it. Will look into it, thanks heaps for the help guys.