Thread: Breville BES820 keeps switching off

Breville BES820 keeps switching off

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I bought a reconditioned Breville BES820 coffee machine at the end of 2009, and it has been fine up until recently – but now it switches itself off almost immediately it is switched on the first few times I try every morning – the only work around is to switch unit off & on at the wall and keep trying until it stays switched on.

Once it stays on, it works fine.

The unit was new, but sold as reconditioned as a number of them emerged from the factory with a minor electrical fault (I am told), which were purchased & repaired by a third party before on-selling

I am wondering if the behaviour I described is consistent with something anyone has seen before?

I am guessing the "minor electrical fault" may have resurfaced, but so far no useful info one way or another from the people who supplied the unit to me.

Is it likely something I can fix myself given that unit now out of 3 my month warranty, if I am averagely competent with a soldering iron etc?
    Probably more than the unit is worth to send away for repair.

A_M

Re: Breville BES820 keeps switching off

On line reconditioned units are always a pig in a poke..

Sounds like a connector or other sensor not being activated..

Dangerous.. Could have a nasty fault developing..

As to;

Quote Originally Posted by 4477666D55776C6860050 link=1276564459/0#0 date=1276564459
    I am guessing the "minor electrical fault" may have resurfaced
    Depends on the context and what ya call minor..

Quote Originally Posted by 4477666D55776C6860050 link=1276564459/0#0 date=1276564459
    but so far no useful info one way or another from the people who supplied the unit to me.
    Many places that dump / deal in old/discontinued stock etc have no interest as they are just teh shovel .... They get stock of one sort or another and then dump and walk away...

If ya in Brisbane... I may be interested as yet to get inside one of these babys and pull apart and see how they tick....

Quote Originally Posted by 2211000B33110A0E06630 link=1276564459/0#0 date=1276564459
    I am wondering if the behaviour I described is consistent with something anyone has seen before?
    Nope, but then I usually (not always) turn mine off at the wall. (Had it for about a year now).

Curiously - does it switch off or go into "power save"?

Is it likely something I can fix myself given that unit now out of 3 my month warranty, *if I am averagely competent with a soldering iron etc?
    If its a problem with the chip, then no amount of soldering would help.

If its a dry joint causing some sensor error, then you could re-solder every joint you find, but you may end up making it worse!

I also got one of those refurbished unit... but mine comes directly from Breville. It does something similar to what you describe:

Once powered up the 1st time, everything is OK. If powered down via the button (standby mode) for more than 4-8hrs, I will only get only a slight glitch from the pump and the lights before it shut down again. Next power up is fine.

I exchanged it once, and the replacement does the same thing... Then I checked and rechecked all solders/connectors/wires... even replaced some questionable capacitors before giving up. I guess either the controller chip itself has a software bug it it, or some surge protection is missing from the board (2 caps and 2 resistors were omitted on the circuit)

My final workaround is to use a power bar on it and use it to shut down completely... it also saves a few watts from the standby mode.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7E52415A5C67330 link=1276564459/3#3 date=1276614799
    I also got one of those refurbished unit... but mine comes directly from Breville. It does something similar to what you describe:

Once powered up the 1st time, everything is OK. If powered down via the button (standby mode) for more than 4-8hrs, I will only get only a slight glitch from the pump and the lights before it shut down again. Next power up is fine.

I exchanged it once, and the replacement does the same thing... Then I checked and rechecked all solders/connectors/wires... even replaced some questionable capacitors before giving up. I guess either the controller chip itself has a software bug it it, or some surge protection is missing from the board (2 caps and 2 resistors were omitted on the circuit)

My final workaround is to use a power bar on it and use it to shut down completely... it also saves a few watts from the standby mode.
    Tis whi I like most of teh prosumer machines... When you turn off, it is OFF.

Same with other goods... Grinders etc we do teh same with out Microwave and most other devices..

When finished turn OFF at the main power; not the fancy standby or quick off etc..Use teh main switch.

Might surprise you; but will save power ;)

Like Mario T, I recently bought a Breville BES820 direct from a Breville factory outlet for a friend.

It gave us the same stop go behaviour as for Paul and Mario above. Most frustrating when caffeine deprived.

I tried three different machines from Breville, all with the same bad behaviour before I agreed to have a refund.

My research tells me that it could be capacitors in the circuit that can’t handle the extremes of temperature in the coffee environment.

Oh for a simple machine with a minimum of electronics that can fail.

For my own use I have a Breville BES860 Fresca, the one with a built in grinder, which has worked perfectly for nearly two years. As it has more bells and whistles, it must have more complex electronics than the simpler 820 but it works.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by 0A293A3A31170C3D262B2926480 link=1276564459/5#5 date=1283399960
    Oh for a simple machine with a minimum of electronics that can fail.
    No circuit board in my Expobar that I know of.

Electronics behaves no differently in service than mechanical devices....

When properly rated components are used, system(s) designed properly and then properly protected from harmful elements within its operating environment, electronic systems will last for many, many years of faithful service. Funnily enough, the same applies to mechanical devices..... ::)

Mal.