Thread: help with breville ESP8C cafe roma.

help with breville ESP8C cafe roma.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    just bought a cheapo cafe roma and im trying to get some decent coffees out of it.

my questions are.

1) I cant seem to get decent milk froth out of it. any tips?
    Is it possible to froth little milk, or do I need to do a lot ? I generally drink macciatos.

2) after pouring the shot, I always end up with water in the basket.
    wat can I do to get rid of it and get a puck?

thanks!!

Re: help with breville ESP8C cafe roma.

Quote Originally Posted by 687C7A7A606C6B7C6D6D6168090 link=1278162673/0#0 date=1278162673
    1) I cant seem to get decent milk froth out of it. any tips?
    Is it possible to froth little milk, or do I need to do a lot ? I generally drink macciatos.
    Maybe try without the foam enhancer on. Look on youtube to see if you can find some good tips or troll through the "Milk froth and bubbles" forum. You should be able to foam a smaller amount but you will be limited as to the length of the steam wand. You will always waste some milk with macchiato! I think 1/4 of a cup would be close to your minimum.
    Quote Originally Posted by 687C7A7A606C6B7C6D6D6168090 link=1278162673/0#0 date=1278162673
    2) after pouring the shot, I always end up with water in the basket.
    wat can I do to get rid of it and get a puck?
    Your machine will have the double wall crema enhancing basket (filter), your next step to a more perfect coffee will be buying a good quality burr grinder and a un-pressurised basket. You can mod the one you have by drilling out the bottom hole of your basket.... carefully! there is a small space between the two basket walls and you do not want to perforate the inner wall!!!! If you do you will only contribute to landfill!

If you drill out the bottom wall and do not have a grinder or use old pre-ground coffee (read: supermarket coffee), you will end up with weak, crema free coffee which will taste like a step backwards!!!!! If you want to stick to pre-ground, I wouldnt do the de-pressurised basket mod!!

Quote Originally Posted by 5C5E575B0000360 link=1278162673/1#1 date=1278208407
    You should be able to foam a smaller amount but you will be limited as to the length of the steam wand. You will always waste some milk with macchiato! I think 1/4 of a cup would be close to your minimum.
    I disagree.

By not turning on my steam full blast on the Expobar, I have been able to steam 15ml in my 30ml jug; perfect for macchiattos.

If its possible to not turn the steam on full with the Breville then it should be possible to steam less than 1/4 cup.
    You just need a smaller vessel.

Quote Originally Posted by 6E524F545E5F485D555E3A0 link=1278162673/2#2 date=1278215418
    By not turning on my steam full blast on the Expobar, I have been able to steam 15ml in my 30ml jug; perfect for macchiattos.
    Im fairly sure the ESP8C has on or off as the steam control. I havent tried steaming 15ml (it is equal to 3 teaspoons), A 30ml jug would be the size of a shot glass? I havent seen such a small jug (but I ill google it, seems like a good addition). I drink Macchiato as well, but just make my wife have a flat white at the same time to = zero milk waste......... ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 50525B570C0C3A0 link=1278162673/3#3 date=1278218010
    I havent seen such a small jug
    I dont remember where I got mine from; I have two and they look cute on top of the machine.

You can see a picture here: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1216626007/18#18

actually i already have a modded BCG450.

anyone knows why the puck comes wet?

With the milk.

I can do about 200ml in the jug that came with my Roma. Just place the tip of the steam arm only just into the milk till it gets to about 20-30 deg then sink it in and create a whirlpool. My only issue is over stretching I often end up with twice the volume as I started with!

Some one above mentioned a foam enhancer - my roma didnt come with one, I dont think they do any more, mine is just a stainless arm with a single hole.

unpresurised basket is a must - possibly make the PF naked too, but if your comfortable with your grind/dose/tamp then this might not be necesary has taught me alot tho!

The wet sloppy puck is a characteristic of this type of machine as it doesnt have a valve. It is worse with the pressurised basket.

Leave the portafilter in place after the shot and then do your steaming - then remove the portafilter and you should have a decent solid puck. If youre not steaming perhaps just run off some steam into a jug.

I comfortably steam 125ml in the standard CR jug - less and it might be difficult for the wand to reach. Definitely forget the little black wand wizzer. The steam function on the CR is ON or OFF only despite the fact that the knob appears to be graduated.

Well my pressurized basket got clogged.
    Tried cleaning it to no avail.

I called breville, and they offered to send me a replacement, so I took the chance to ask them for the one of ESP4 instead which is unpressurized.

Well see how it goes after that :-)

Tip for better steaming with ESP8 :

The ESP8 (at least the one we have) can suffer from thermoblock flooding - *where the heater cant keep up with the pump and the steam is wet and weak. HOWEVER, there is an easy way to preheat the thermoblock that requires no electrical mods (unlike the Sunbeam EM3800)!

What you need to do is find the spot. Its an in between position for the main switch where the thermoblock will heat (light on), but the pump will stop. Turn the switch to steam as usual, and then slowly turn it back toward OFF until you hear the pump stop. If the light goes off too youve gone too far. Rock the switch either side of this position carefully and you should be able to find the spot. Once you find it (no pump noise but light on), leave it there for about 30s to dry out and preheat the thermoblock.

Now quickly put you jug under and flick the pump back on (switch all the way to steam). You should now have MUCH dryer and stronger steam lasting for about 60-80s. This is just long enough to obtain good creamy microfoam from anywhere up to 210ml of milk.

Be careful not to preheat too long or else the thermostat will cut off the heat part way through your steaming, and you will very quickly lose all of that nice pressure. Before you know it your whirlpool will stall and you can say goodbye to microfoam.

Hope this helps

wow, that is a great find.
    I need to try this.

I can easily convert this into a mod if I find the process to cumbersome.

Will try and report back.

By the way, Im waiting for my ESP4 unpressurized baskets to be delivered from breville.

does anyone know what difference will they make?
    currently I cant pack the coffee too much because i get a blowout (not sure about the proper term, sorry)

In my opinion the ESP8 is one of the better sub $200 machines because of the following:

1. Compatible with KRUPS non-pressurized basket (under $10 and a must if you have a decent grinder).

2. Does not FORCE the heating element on during Espresso pour. Instead it uses the Brew Theremostat as you would expect. This prevents the brew water from getting super heated when you switch to a non-pressurised basket and start aiming for standard double shot flow rates.

I have a Sunbeam EM3800 at home and it required a slightly tricky internal wiring mod in order to prevent this annoying feature. I believe Sunbeam do this keep the temperature stable for those using the stock pressurised baskets. The flow rate from these is double or triple the flow you should be aiming for.

3. Allows a Thermoblock Steam Pre-heat without requiring any mods - just a fine tuned hand. I have a Krups XP4030 which has a separate knob position defined for the Steam Pre-heat (pity it came with a pathetic wand).

I find with my CR no tricks are required.

Run off some steam so its up to temp and pushing out nice dry steam - it will chug away like that til the tank runs out (not that Ive tried it).

I also had constant blowouts - a new seal fixed that.