Thread: EM4800 water leak problem

EM4800 water leak problem

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Howdy, Im a snob newbie and would like some advice with a problem. I have an old cheap Sunbeam EM4800 which until recently was putting out reasonable cups. Just recently though water is now bursting over the basket during the pour.

I took this opportunity while ordering a new basket head seal to also grab some better Krups baskets which Id read here will give better results. :) Unfortunately the problem persists so now Im unsure what the issue is.

Does anyone have any tips on what it might be and how I can track down the issue.

A_M

Re: EM4800 water leak problem

Split group Collar..

The Black composite material is known to split with heavy and or extreme use..

And yet it happens to all brands... Have even see a few of teh group handels loos one or more of the three lugs..

I cracked 3 collars in a matter of a year on my EM4800 after I modified the machine..
    Cheap pieces of crap parts. Will cost around $33 to replace.
    I gave up in the end and wifey allowed the purchase of a Silvia.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 7E6160767072130 link=1278310839/2#2 date=1278385221
    wifey allowed the purchase of a Silvia.
    Smart Wifey ;)

Hey there,

Long time Coffee Snobs lurker but this is my first post :)

My 3yo Sunbeam EM4800 is leaking/drizzling water from the edge of the flat black plastic sheet on the underside that surrounds the group collar.

I cant imagine its a cracked collar because:

- the water is not under pressure where it emerges - its drizzling, not spraying
    - the leak comes over the top of the plastic sheet, suggesting the origin is higher than the collar
    - Ive replaced the seal (several times over the years)
    - Ive removed and closely inspected the collar for cracks

It happened on the very first pour from the Krups depressurised basket so perhaps the pressure burst a gasket somewhere inside.

Now I have to choose whether to:

a) work out whats wrong and repair DIY
    b) buy another EM4800 (its hard to beat for value)
    c) read up on this forum on a better machine to buy

What do you think?

When I questioned my repairer about the leak I had, similar to yours, he said it could be a crack in the thermoblock.

Quote Originally Posted by 7D535E5C5453564C4B5A5B3F0 link=1278310839/4#4 date=1285068158
    a) work out whats wrong and repair DIY
    b) buy another EM4800 (its hard to beat for value)
    c) read up on this forum on a better machine to buy
    If you are sure its not a group collar issue then option c) is the one I reccomend and the one I took!!
    Dan

Ive found it can still be used (without leaking) if I use the original pressurised basket with minimal tamping.

This gives me time to ruminate on repairing vs replacing as its still able to keep my household caffeinated and awake.

I must admit that Im surprised that no one else has posted about this problem after all these years that the Krups basket hack has been practiced.

Did you get to the bottom of the problem? Mine will do this if there are coffee grounds on the seal. Also check the 4 screws that hold the group head are not loose, and the one screw that holds the shower screen.

Ive had a similar problem, where the plastic collar has cracked, twice. In the same area, front left above the INSERT text. I received a new collar and the problem persists, where water flows over the basket after pressurising it. I even sanded the lugs to the same level, as I found that the collar is not sitting flush with the thermoblock attachments, you can see that the PF wears downs the front left lug on the inside of the collar, obviously placing stress on that area. Also tried centering the PF whilst attaching the holder. This almost worked, but eventually failed. Cant find any cracks in the thermoblock or PF. Looks like I might have lost an old friend :( ....

Hi,

I wonder if you are grinding too fine? This machine will not generally produce 25 second pours like we would like. The best I can generally get is half that. If I go finer, it leaks as you describe. In that case, it doesnt come out at high pressure, but rather just dribbles down the outside of the portafilla and into the cup.

You said it started with the Krups basket. If anything, given that this basket has lots of holes, if you didnt change the grind, this should have been fine.

HOWEVER this Krups basket is completely flat on the top. The sunbeam baskets have an additional small ridge on them, which I do believe gives a better seal on the seling gasket in the group head.

I use a modified sunbeam basket, and settle for 12 second pours. If I grind finer, the crema starts to look funny (coagulated, for lack of a better term), and too much finer, it leaks like you describe.

You can search for my historical posts to see my journey with this machine.

Good luck!