Thread: Sunbeam Ristretto advice

Sunbeam Ristretto advice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Gday CSers,

Im just wondering how to best use my Ristretto. Can you temp surf since its a single boiler and is there much point?

Ive also noticed the steaming capability basically sucks. It usually runs out of steam in about 10secs then takes around 20secs for the steam to come out again with any sort of pressure. Am I doing something wrong? I steam before I pull the shot, and only once the heating light goes off.

Lastly, is it possible to pull a 25sec shot with the stock double filter? Or does that only apply to non-pressurized baskets.

Thanks and regards.

Re: Sunbeam Ristretto advice

Hi cv,

Im not sure about the Ristretto, but I have the Latte (a couple of versions up). *Ill assume the stock filter is a pressurised basket like mine.

I never had success getting more than a 12 sec pull using the pressurised basket, so I took the advice found on some of the threads here and bought a non-pressurised (Krups) basket. *Im still fiddling with grinds and tamp pressure, but am now getting ~30 sec pulls and excellent-er coffee.

I would expect the Ristretto has similar, if not the same, size basket as the Latte... but cant say for sure.

Also, before the Sunbeam I had a Gaggia Carezza (youll notice I cant spend a lot on machines at the moment :P), which has a small boiler as well... with pretty much the same results as you. *Thats one of the reasons I gave up on it.

Hope that helps a little...

Re: Sunbeam Ristretto advice

Yes - you can pull a 25sec shot with the standard filters, but your grind needs to be just about perfect. This little machine can make a very nice cup, but although they advertise a 15bar boiler, its dinky compared to the more expensive machines.

As for steaming, yeah it can do it but you need to be patient. It will only spit out enough oomph in 10-15s burst, then you need to wait for it to build up more pressure. But Ive managed to froth some fairly nice milk with it.

For the cost, I think a Ristretto is a bargain, and for me has been a great introduction to the brewing process. That and a nice grinder like a EMO450 or higher will give you a great little setup.