Thread: Just killed my Breville

Just killed my Breville

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I just tried to remove all the bits that get gunky on my Breville 800. This one is about been on the go since 2003 ( I think its the original version).

Anyway, I have replaced the seal in the group head once before, and I wanted to have a look at it again, as I have a spare one to put on it, and it had been leaking a bit of water around the group handle.

However, it appears that the screw holding the showerscreen in place had corroded, and as I gave a good twist of the screw driver the screw sheared, and left the screw inserted, the screw head on the table, and the showerscreen off.

So, I have no idea how to get the remains of the screw out.

Looks like the perfect excuse to get into a better machine. :(

Re: Just killed my Breville

Depending on how keen you are. You could try getting a tiny drill into the corroded screw and try and get it to break so you can fish it out. But then you also run the risk of possibly drilling too far and breaking something else...

Another alternative depending on how deep the screw is would be to build the top of the screw up using chemical metal or similar and then use a pair of pliers, or embed a nut into the chemical metal and undo it that way. Then all you need is a replacement screw either from a dealer or from someone scrapping pretty much any of the Breville models as they almost all use the same threaded screws for the screen...

Guys, you seem to be trying to convince me to raise this Breville phoenix from the ashes. Im thinking this is an omen from the Gods, that all the looking Ive been doing at e61 heads has been for a bountiful purpose. this is my chance (and the trouble and strife has given the go ahead).

Next stop, Zaffiro station.

Upgrades are always good too. Sweet tasty upgrades :D

guv

If you throw it off the top of a very high building (suggest 20 metres), watching out for pedestrians of course, then you will be able to retrieve the base of the screw Im sure.

I keep my 800es around for fun and playing with mods (ie. naked PF etc.). You can just say that its unreliable and you need something better for your day to day coffee ;->

Id say you can use it as a good excuse to upgrade ;D
    Its had a good long life for what it is and you got your moneys worth out of it by the sounds and then some.
    You can always bung it in the shed and fix it later if you get bored and maybe bestow it upon a friend who insists on serving you instant or pod coffee when you visit ;D

the screw length is around 5mm, easy to remove, but hey, its also easy to upgrade, but im not sure how much u will have to spend to upgrade on taste and form...

I solved the problem fairly easily.

Isomac Zaffiro ;)

I may look at getting the screw out later, I dont think its worth throwing the Breville away.

But for know, Im up to my neck in working out which of the 7 different beans Im roasting taste best at the various CS scores and days from roast date. Im not sure Ill get to the end of this one...

Quote Originally Posted by 36393523313636540 link=1280575287/9#9 date=1283435024
    I solved the problem fairly easily.

Isomac Zaffiro *;)

I may look at getting the screw out later, I dont think its worth throwing the Breville away.

But for know, Im up to my neck in working out which of the 7 different beans Im roasting taste best at the various CS scores and days from roast date. Im not sure Ill get to the end of this one...
    When you get around to it you can try this:
    Drill through the centre with a small drill
    Give it a good soaking of either Penetrene or WD40
    Buy/borrow some ezy-outs and try removing with them

Quote Originally Posted by 6B647B686A6C616162630D0 link=1280575287/10#10 date=1283472468
    Buy/borrow some ezy-outs and try removing with them
    And dont break the Easyout or you will be in more trouble than a one armed paper hanger. ;)