Thread: Why not use two cheap machines to froth and pull the shot?

Why not use two cheap machines to froth and pull the shot?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I keep reading here where one machine does one thing better than another. I am also looking at buying a machine (Rancilio) and I have an idea and want some help and advice in a different way. If someone can suggest a machine that pulls a decent shot and a machine that can froth a decent jug of milk, wouldnt it be better to buy 2 machines than one really expensive one. This way there is no waiting. You can pull on one and froth on the other. Just an idea to throw open to discussion. Any ideas??? Or am I an idiot?? ;D

Re: Why not use two cheap machines to froth and pull the shot?

Quote Originally Posted by 24202A222126392C490 link=1280983733/0#0 date=1280983733
    Just an idea to throw open to discussion. Any ideas??? Or am I an idiot??
    Dont load the gun if you dont want to get shot. ;)

Welcome to Coffee Snobs.

In theory, why not?
    Whatever floats your boat.

A lot of people also complain they dont have much space, so for them it wouldnt work.

You didnt give examples with costs.

Which Rancilio are you planning on buying?

2 Silvias would not be suitable. A PIDd Silvia would be fine for pulling shots with a minimum of fuss though more expensive machines are better regarded. A second Silvia would not be suitable to be left on for steam, it was not designed for that use. A Pavoni Pro would be a better choice as a steamer plus the option of pulling lever shots or a Elektra which has a better reputation as a steamer and shots are better regarded as well. I was considering this combo myself at one time, but combined current draw could be a concern plus the current draw of the grinder. Just a few thoughts, not to put to much creedence on.

Thanks for the replies. No, I wasnt thinking of 2 sylvias, only one. I was thinking more along the lines of vicroamers idea. 2 seperate machines that each do something very well. A sylvia costs 850-900. Surely there are machines out there that can hurl out a s%$t load of steam and others that can pull a fairly decent shot for around 300 each. Bench space is not a problem. I live on my own so I can put crap anywhere want to. ;D

Without spending big dollars there are machines that can produce steam that make coffee and there are machines that can produce steam that can make excellent coffee. Silvia would be the latter. Cheap machines are generally thermoblock and it is generally accepted that they dont produce big amounts of steam. The others are boiler machines which happen to produce better steam and better shots. The EM6910 is the obvious exception to this and while it is convenient that there are two thermoblocks so you can steam at the same time as brew, the steam is only adequate not great. Anyone that disagrees with me go try steam milk with a machine with a 2l boiler(silvia is 300ml). An HX machine will steam 200ml of milk in the vicinity of 15-20seconds. A cheap machine(including silvia and 6910) is probably closer to 3-4 times that.

Buying two machines that make great espresso and "adequate" steam would cost in the vicinity of entry level HX machines so whats the point as an HX machine is more temp stable and produces great steam.

Im guessing the original post was talking two $300 machines instead of a silvia or something along those lines but the fact is that while it might be convenient having steam and brew, two machines wont produce the result of one silvia.

Quote Originally Posted by 78676D7C616F636B7C0E0 link=1280983733/2#2 date=1281002423
    A second Silvia would not be suitable to be left on for steam, it was not designed for that use.
    I would have thought it would depend on how you look at it. I suspect that a silvia could be left on "steam" all day long as the boiler element would still cycle on and off and holding the boiler at steam temp instead of brew temp shouldnt take a lot more energy/stress.

The problem(and perhaps this is what you allude to) would be steaming constantly with it because the element would be constantly on and not cycling.

Quote Originally Posted by 23272D2526213E2B4E0 link=1280983733/3#3 date=1281064649
    Surely there are machines out there that can hurl out a s%$t load of steam and others that can pull a fairly decent shot
    just buy a HX machine now...... problem solved......

I would have thought it would depend on how you look at it. I suspect that a silvia could be left on "steam" all day long as the boiler element would still cycle on and off and holding the boiler at steam temp instead of brew temp shouldnt take a lot more energy/stress.

The problem(and perhaps this is what you allude to) would be steaming constantly with it because the element would be constantly on and not cycling.
    SBDU, single boiler dual use, 300 mil capacity less allowing for headspace, no autofill or water level indicator, the slightest drip and it will soon run dry, though the same would also apply running it at brew temps which I used to do without incident. Small boiler means it has limited steaming capacity say enough for 4 cappas before requiring repriming. The small home levers I mentioned have larger capacity and a water level indicator, though no autofill, l believe they would be more suitable if someone wanted to go that way.

Quote Originally Posted by 4F434A47474E220 link=1280983733/6#6 date=1281077890
    just buy a HX machine now...... problem solved......
    Ok. Help me out here. Which one???? Looks like I go to next forum (500-1500). Maybe I should just by the Silvia and be done with it. :(

By the way, how much is an Elektra worth.???

The Elektra is way out of this price bracket, an old renovaters delight maybe would slot in, I was using it as an example for what I consider to be a suitable steamer.

Maybe the Gee in the next price leve up is worth a look, thread Here

Yep, I was looking at the Gee. But I think my problems have been solved. I have a friend going to Italy in 2 weeks time for a year. He will send me back whatever and how ever many I want of anything I want. So I have decided to spend big and get something decent and sea freight it back. So now I will do some research on machines in the $1000+ bracket. If am going to get one, Imay as well get one that will last me the rest of my life, how ever long or short that turns out to be. Thanks for all your help here and I will let you know what I have decided to get and what its going to cost me. Many Thanks.

FWIW, you may want to think about buying direct in Australia, from a sponsor.

I would be VERY surprised if any manufacturer/importer would offer any sort of warranty repairs on one of their machines purchased overseas.

You may save something early on, but be paying through the nose later... :o

Sniff

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 342A323F292A31305E0 link=1280983733/13#13 date=1281173199
    I would be VERY surprised if any manufacturer/importer would offer any sort of warranty repairs on one of their machines purchased overseas.
    That would be right. You lose warranty rights and in many cases, you may not have parts support either.

In addition, machines for other markets may not comply here.

I have had my head in a 2000 build Rocket e-61 this week and I was shocked by some of what I saw- including a hole where the thermal switch should have been *:o

:( :( MMMMM. food for thought

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 2C28222A292E3124410 link=1280983733/12#12 date=1281173035
    So I have decided to spend big and get something decent and sea freight it back. So now I will do some research on machines in the $1000+ bracket.
    Some other things to keep in mind miki:

-You probably lose 5% on exchange
    -Cost of freight
    -Import duty and GST
    -Other misc. taxes and charges- espcially on unaccompanied freight that requires the services of a freight forwarder
    -Still no warranty and possibly no parts...

Its a risky business ;)

To import or buy locally? depends pretty much on the product, some things Im willing to gamble on but an espresso machine is certainly not one of them.
    Chris mentioned a few of the costs involved, you can add insurance to that as well, I can see a A$1000 machine costing close to $2000 landed and thats assuming it arrives undamaged, sea freight is notoriously tough on small shipments.
    Buy in Aust from a sponsor and enjoy the experience of good service, backup and security. ;)

OK. So if I buy in Australia what do I buy for $1200 on the machine and say a couple of hundred for a grinder. 1600-1800 for the pair. Should I go to the next forum and you you can steer me in the right direction from there? By the way thanks for all the input. Very helpful and things i really had not thought about.

For your $1600 you could get that package from Talk Coffee with the GEE and a Compak grinder plus extras.

Or you could go for a NS Oscar + Grinta combo.

The GEE will steam straight after pulling a shot. The Oscar should steam during the shot. The difference is minimal. Youll probably pull the shot first anyway while youre getting the hang of things. ;)

You could try e-mailing the sponsors with the e-mail address on the left and see what they suggest.

Cheers

Sniff

I like the sound of the oscar/grinta combo. Which sponsor has this combo?

Many thanks sniff :)

sitesponsors@coffesnobs.com.au will reveal the answer...its just an e-mail away.