Thread: Sunbeam EM2300 Cafe Ristretto vs Breville Ikon

Sunbeam EM2300 Cafe Ristretto vs Breville Ikon

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Was just wondering, is there any significant differences between these two machine? I understand from the other threads that a coffee machine with boiler is one that I should look out for (good crema) and apparently Sunbeam EM2300 Cafe Ristretto seemed pretty decent too in terms of the price and value for money factor.

I will be doing more cappuccino and latte but not sure which other coffee machine I can look out for!

Thanks! *:D Any advice will be greatly appreciated!! <3

Re: Sunbeam EM2300 Cafe Ristretto vs Breville Ikon

oh goodness, correct me if I am wrong but I had realized there is not frothing pump for sunbeams ):

Any other alternative brands because apparently Breville Ikon is OOS in Australia :(

Hi, and welcome to the beginning of the road! :)

A boiler is good, yes, but its not the only thing to look out for - how the whole machine is put together counts too. With these plastic fantastics youll eventually have problems with leaking, stretching, breaking... In fact a good thermoblock machine (such as the sunbeam EM6910) can outperform a cheap boiler.

And do you have a good grinder? The Sunbeam EM0450 or EM0480 would be the minimum starting point for a good grind - use pre-ground and it probably doesnt matter if you have a boiler or not!

Do you have a budget? Most people will say get the best quality grinder you can afford. Then you can even start with a stove-top or plunger and get a good espresso machine later. Sunbeam has a father day promotion on now where you get a good grinder for free with certain espresso machines. google "sunbeam fathers day".

Who did you ask about the Ikon? It might be out of stock with, say, Harveys but not with, say, Betta.

And Im not quite sure what you mean by "frothing pump". Sunbeams have a steam wand for frothing, but boiler-steam machines generally dont have a pump IIRC. Thermoblock-steam machines do.

HTH :)

Just FYI if you google the sunbeam 6910 at the moment some online places have the fathers day special for around $645 including the grinder (which i sold online for $199) as i already had one so brought the machine cost down to $445 which im pretty happy with!

iaindb - thank you so much for your advice!! might consider sunbeam EM6910 since thereve been plenty of raves about it and the fathers day promo. but really have to see if i can see off the grinder since its way off my budget. *:-[ and have alrdy bought a grinder :-X

espco - whao! mind sharing where did you post up the sale of grinder? coffee snobs? thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by 7140544D7E6E654E4F4F444D4D210 link=1282745209/3#3 date=1282781725
    Just FYI if you google the sunbeam 6910 at the moment some online places have the fathers day special for around $645 including the grinder (which i sold online for $199) as i already had one so brought the machine cost down to $445 which im pretty happy with!

oh yes! where did you purchase at for that price its much cheaper than the RRP! are you located in melb?

which grinder do you have?

hey
    mines a krups. GVX2. bought it before i knew about this forum ): dont wish to sell it because have bought it from overseas. hopefully its good enough!

Hey Starie,

Ive recently taken delivery of a Breville Ikon. So far so good. Im still to pick up an upressurised basket, and no-one locally stocks the Sunbeam grinders, so thats on order too. Im hoping the results will be pretty good for the money (just on $400 all up).

The Ikon is discontinued - comfirmed by Breville sales line by both my local Harvey Norman & Betta Electrical. You can, however, buy them from the Breville/Kambrook clearance shops as a factory 2nd/refurbished item for $219. The Sydney store sells via e-bay and I paid an exta $16 ($235 all up) for post to regional Vic. If youre keen on the Ikon, check this option out - full manufacturer 12 month warranty.

Cheers,
    Damien

Hey Damien

Thanks for that! I had bought the EM6910 in the end $___$ cant comment much on that because still figuring out on the proper technique.

No probs. The 6910 gets mentioned a bit on here, so Im sure its a capable machine, particularly if paired with an equally capable grinder and unpressurised basket.

Enjoy!

Hi Starie,

Im currently using a Sunbeam twin pack of the Ristretto EM2300 and EMO480 grinder and couldnt be happier. The Ristretto does have a steaming wand, and contrary to some opinion - yes it can indeed texture milk. You just have to be patient.

Ive learned a few tricks to help get a decent cup every time with the Ristretto:

- always use filtered water
    - let it warm up for at least 10-15 minutes before you pour a shot. The orange light may tell you its warm enough but dont go by it
    - grind coarseness and how well you tamp is very important

For only $119.95, the Ristretto really is a bargain. Its what Ive cut my teeth on and feel no need to upgrade to something more expensive any time soon.