Thread: 800ES Breville with the BarAroma

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

800ES Breville with the BarAroma

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys, this is my first post :) *I have been stalking the forums for a few days now and currently have stinging eyes from reading for hours on the PC ;)

I have a few little Qs ;) *I have just been given the above for my Birthday which I am super happy with :-) *

I have bought a new jug, a thermometer and will get a new tamper and basket for Christmas :-)

I havent opened the BarAroma yet. *I am really unsure if its worth keeping. *I could get $50 on ebay for it and maybe get a tamper with it ;)

I bought some beans from Gloria Jeans (is this an ok place to get beans from?) *They were happy to grind half for me and I can come back and get the other half ground so they stay freshish.

- Is it worth keeping the BarAroma?
    - How can I get a nice thick cream with the milk steamer?
    - What size tamper do I need to buy?

I have NEVER made coffee before so I am very much a beginner.

Ta :-)

JJJ

Re: 800ES Breville with the BarAroma

Quote Originally Posted by 1629242F23460 link=1283692725/0#0 date=1283692725
    Hey guys, this is my first post :)
    Welcome. :)

I bought some beans from Gloria Jeans (is this an ok place to get beans from?)
    Absolutely not.
    Beans are generally at their best between 4-21 days post roast whereas the beans you get from Gloria Jeans (or any other chain coffee outlet/supermarket) will often be up to a year past roast date and thus are stale, lifeless and tasteless.

Youre best served buying beans from either a local roaster or Beanbay, knowing youll get fresh, expertly roasted beans that will give you the best chance possible of producing excellent results in the cup.

*They were happy to grind half for me and I can come back and get the other half ground so they stay freshish.
    Ground coffee goes stale within 3 minutes or so, so at all times youre best to grind fresh to order if possible.

- Is it worth keeping the BarAroma?
    I cant help you with advice in that area as ive not had personal experience with the Bar Aroma but a decent grinder is essential long term.
    Ive had plenty of experience with the 800ES though and im happy to say that youve got a good little entry level machine that, with a little practice, will see you producing decent enough coffee.

- How can I get a nice thick cream with the milk steamer?
    First thing you need to do is remove the stupid silver cover theyve put on the steam wand.
    That will make texturing milk infinitely easier.

- What size tamper do I need to buy?
    Theres been much discussion on the boards but the 800ES has a unique basket size so you need to get a 51mm tamper.
    A number of our sponsors carry the 51mm tampers, even though theyre a pretty unique size.

I have bought a new jug, a thermometer and will get a new tamper and basket for Christmas :-)
    An unpressurised basket (do a quick search on the boards for much discussion of it) is absolutely essential for decent coffee so if possible, try to get one as soon as you can.
    You can pick one up for no more than $20.

Hi and welcome :)

I have the same grinder with a similar machine (BES820). Essentially the grinder is "ok" so far as the dual-wall basket is concerned, but this doesnt give very satisfying coffee.

When you get a proper unpressurised basket youll find that the finest setting on the grinder isnt enough to get enough pressure and youll get slightly watery flat coffee. However if your beans arent *fresh* as stated above then you wont notice the difference ;)

You can modify the grinder (search on this site for detailed info) which basically lets you wind the burrs closer together, although you have no "safety" to stop them touching so you need to be aware. Also, the particles are slightly inconsistent sizes with this grinder - still good enough to get a thick crema if everything else is fine but not a match for the >$500 grinders.

As far as I can gather, you might have less hassle selling the grinder and putting it towards a sumbeam EM0450 or EM0480.

wrt the steam - yes its possible although I find it a little slow, and not very good for making 2 cups at once.

wrt the tamper - you might want to wait until you get a different basket (if youre going to) then take the basket into the shop and make sure the tamper you want is a snug fit.

hope my $0.02 is worth it :)

Thank you for your quick replies :) I have been doing some more reading and am now a little confused :-/

So, basically where I have been buying my coffee from (in a cup I mean) have been making me stale coffee. I dont think I have ever tried a fresh coffee then which is a little sad. I dont live inner city so there arent any places I know of that roast their own coffee.

So, if I go ahead with all this I will have the following things to buy:

- Green Beans
    - Roaster (I saw the little $25 one being talked about in Brunswick which I could managed but dont know how to modify it to make it safe)
    - New grinder to get a finer grind
    - New basket
    - New tamper

Is that right???

I dont really have the money or the time at the moment to do all that :( I would love to be able to afford to buy freshly roasted and ground beans locally so I dont have to pay for postage every week. Then the basket and tamper would be worth it.

If I was to continue buying beans that are stale and get the store I buy them from to grind them (cause there isnt much point me keeping my grinder is there if I am grinding stale beans anyway is there?) is there any point in getting a new basket and tamper?

On the upside, I have been doing much better with the milk since taking that little metal thing off, thanks for the tip :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 615E535854310 link=1283692725/3#3 date=1283862445
    Thank you for your quick replies :) *I have been doing some more reading and am now a little confused :-/
    dont worry, people work on this for years...

So, basically where I have been buying my coffee from (in a cup I mean) have been making me stale coffee. *I dont think I have ever tried a fresh coffee then which is a little sad. *I dont live inner city so there arent any places I know of that roast their own coffee.
    Yes, most places serve you stale coffee, unfortunately. Coffee making is an art - when you find someone "dancing" around the machine (watching the pour, tapping, adjusting, tongue out) then you might be on to something ;)

So, if I go ahead with all this I will have the following things to buy:

- Green Beans
    - Roaster (I saw the little $25 one being talked about in Brunswick which I could managed but dont know how to modify it to make it safe)
    you could easily skip these two - I havent started roasting my own yet and I make some good coffee at times!

- New grinder to get a finer grind
    or modify the one you have

- New basket
    - New tamper
    yep, basket at least. Current tamper is passable, but tricky.

Is that right???

I dont really have the money or the time at the moment to do all that :( *I would love to be able to afford to buy freshly roasted and ground beans locally so I dont have to pay for postage every week. *Then the basket and tamper would be worth it.
    Start off with the basket - should set you back $15 - $20. Then find a local roaster (you have to pay for beans anyway so lets say this is no net difference). See what it tastes like and perhaps do the mod to your grinder if you wish - again no cost if you take it carefully.

If I was to continue buying beans that are stale and get the store I buy them from to grind them (cause there isnt much point me keeping my grinder is there if I am grinding stale beans anyway is there?) is there any point in getting a new basket and tamper?
    ultimately if youre happy with what youre drinking, theres no point doing anything different. I still think "stale" beans will taste better if you grind them yourself. Fresh beans even better still :)

Whats your location - some others will know who grinds in your area. Also check out the "Good Coffee Where?" forum here and try their coffee. You might even be able to buy beans from them.

HTH :)

JJJ

Quote Originally Posted by 4C737E75791C0 link=1283692725/3#3 date=1283862445
    On the upside, I have been doing much better with the milk since taking that little metal thing off, thanks for the tip Smiley
    No worries and glad to hear your texturing has improved.

Quote Originally Posted by 4C737E75791C0 link=1283692725/3#3 date=1283862445
    - Green Beans
    Personally id focus on sourcing quality, fresh browns and building up your knowledge and techniques for the time being.

I really appreciate all your help :-)

So, if I did get a new basket and didnt have the know how to alter my grinder is there any use in me having it? I think I read that it doesnt grind fine enough to use without a pressurised basket?
    Also, I am in the outer sth east of Melbourne (Berwick/Narre Warren)and cant seem to find any local stockist of freshly roasted/ground coffee.

I am happy to pay for shipping every month or so but the coffee will be stale by then :( Its only me who drinks coffee and I only have 1-2 cups a day.

I sort of just feel stuck at the moment :(

So, the way I see it, I need to find a local stockist so they can grind it for me and I can go and buy my coffee weekly from them. Then I can get a new basket and tamper etc.

Otherwise, I will need to get a roster and a new grinder so I can do it myself.

*Sigh* I really wasnt expecting it to be this hard. I guess if I had a few extra $$ to spend it wouldnt be.

I really need to find a cafe that sells fresh coffee to drink so I can see what I am missing out on to motivate me ;)

I do travel into Vic Pde a few times a week to go to Uni so maybe I can locate a nice shop around there?? I attend ACU.

Ok, I really should be studying whilst my kids are in day care not drining endless amount of coffee trying to practice texturising ;) I had a laugh

Your grinder will still give you better results than pre-ground, even with the unpressurised basket. Just dose lots and tamp fairly hard, I did it like this for a while before I moded mine.

Have you posted another thread asking for local roasters / cafes here? Youll get lots of responses, trust me!

I understand your budget - Im the same 8-) I wish I could afford the elite machines, but I cant. IMHO roasting at this early stage will only throw another unknown into your mix - if it doesnt taste right is the the grind, dose, tamp, temp, pressure, etc? Roasting adds at least as many variables.

Before you spend anything, just try making a few coffees with the best beans you can find and see how it tastes. Then at least you have a benchmark. Work up from there, but only as you have time and money! This is supposed to be enjoyable, otherwise why bother?!

:)

Quote Originally Posted by 7A4548434F2A0 link=1283692725/6#6 date=1283915408
    I do travel into Vic Pde a few times a week to go to Uni so maybe I can locate a nice shop around there??I attend ACU.
    Probably.

OK you Melbourne Snobs - help Pobie out here.
    Where are the nearest decent cafes to ACU?

Hi Pobie, have you checked out 65 Degrees on Exhibition Street near the corner of Latrobe, which is a couple of blocks towards the city from ACU. The guys there roast their own beans, have their own blends, can grind if required plus Con is a world champion Barista...so you can grab a decent cuppa whilst there. ;)

You guys are so helpful, thank you :-)

When you say a few blocks, do you mean I can walk it easily?? I dont take a car in with me to the city so I would prefer to walk than try and work out public transport ;)

google maps is youre friend!

Dont know if the link will stay, but its about 3-4 blocks, 11 min one-way walk (according to google). Walk past St Vinnies Hospital, left on to La Trobe St, then 2nd left on to Exhibition St.

65 degress is at 309 Exhibition St.

:)

Thanks to Google maps, its about a 10-15 min walk (900m), otherwise jump on the tram that runs along Vic Parade and heads down Latrobe St. Thatll be quicker assuming you dont have to wait for the tram. Their address is 309 Exhibition St.

All the best ;)