Thread: Sunbeam EM 5800

kcl

Sunbeam EM 5800

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Everyone,

I have a Sunbeam EM 5800 - actually I have two of them as a friend with a similar problem gave up, moved on to a different brand and gave his Sunbeam to me. The Sunbeam makes great coffee no doubt and I would like to love it, however it has given almost nothing but trouble. While under warranty it was replaced three times so its actually five of them that Ive had issues with.

The official Sunbeam repairers in my area will now not even look at the machine and tell me it has to be a printed circuit board (PCB) which are unavailable. The latest problem sounds like a solenoid cutting in as soon as you plug the machine in to the wall, ie without even being switched on. If you ignore that and proceed, the steam wand works OK but the group head dribbles for some time before the coffee is made then continues running for a while after, thereby diluting and ruining the coffee.

Im very dissapointed as it makes great coffee when its working but Im now up to my fourth/fifth of these machines and Ive been officially abandoned by the Sunbeam repairers.

Does anyone have any ideas? Can I get a new PCB? Is it something I can replace myself? The machine cost about $400 and it has been quite an effort to keep it going. It makes great coffe and I dont want to simply throw it into a wheelie bin.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and Ill be grateful for any advice.

Regards,

Keith

A_M

Re: Sunbeam EM 5800

Ya location would help.

PM me and if ya can Send me a PCB board OR one of the units I can have a look.

My gut feel is the same as a few others I have seen and is a simple TRIAC driver that is under rated and or the spacing between teh tracks are not correct and can arc and short. Thus teh main driver to a Pump etc can just be full on even though you have not selected it.

Basic Electronics 101.

PS. It is all running 240V so it is not recommended for un qualified people to start playing.

Ya in Brisbane = OK Outside of Brisbane = going to cost you transport.

Re: Sunbeam EM 5800

@ AngerManagement

I too have the same symptoms as Keith, and am keen for a repair, or instructions on how to/ what to replace/ location for spares etc.
    Reasonably good with a soldering iron.
    Clothes iron, not so much ;).

Many thanks

Trains

Ps Edited to add Im in SA