Thread: Newbie to coffee makers

Newbie to coffee makers

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi

Ive been making instant coffee at home, Moccona. Id like to invest in a coffee maker for no more than about $100. Im a full time uni student and until I get a job I have to watch my budget.

A friend has a Delonghi Alicia EMK6 6-cup coffee maker and he says he likes it. I havent been able to find it in Melbourne. Are there other brands or models I should look at with the auto switch off and keeps the coffee warm for a while. How much would I need to spend on a coffee grinder?

Would Russell Hobs and Breville be good brands for coffee makers? I tried a Nespresso coffee once and it didnt seem it was worth the price of the Nespresso coffee makers. With my budget I cant justify spending $300 or more on a coffee maker.

I did hear about the Aero Press. Is that any good? Ive got a plunger but the coffee seems very weak when I use it. Although Id be open to suggestions with making coffee with the plunger, I bought it from IKEA.

Im trying to lose weight so I use Pura Lite Start milk and artificial sweetener.

Thanks.

Re: Newbie to coffee makers

At that price range, stick with the plunger and buy a real grinder and use fresh beans.

A real grinder will run you about $100--either a manual (better quality but slow for more than 2 cups) or a Sunbean 0450 (a bit more that $100, but electric). Cheaper grinders than this are VERY UNLIKELY to produce the quality of grinding that is necessary for a decent cup of coffee. Especially avoid the whirling blade style which chop the beans into odd sized pieces and make good coffee all but impossible.

The strength depends on how many grounds you use, the bean, the roast, and the water temperature.

Greg

Can I introduce you to the most economical form of coffee making
    Get yourself an Ibric/Briki and learn the joys of wonderful Greek/Turkish coffee

More people consume this style than any other

Cost of the Ibric/Briki is under $20 but can be done in a small pot for zero

KK

Ive tried Turkish coffee before but it seemed a bit strong for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

An Aeropress will set you back about $55 and a Sunbeam 0450 grinder less than $150.

The grinder will still be OK to use if you decide later to get a coffee machine.

I have an expensive coffee machine and my wife prefers her long blacks made with the Aeropress.
    It produces a very clean tasting brew.

I know you said $100 but as even a decent hand grinder will cost that much, unless you go with Gregs suggestion I cant suggest any better.

I suppose as the Aeropress costs that much Ill look at the grinders. Maybe I could try a few different coffees with my plunger. The last plunger coffee I tried was some brand from the supermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by 2534383A203B21550 link=1285849402/5#5 date=1285857987
    The last plunger coffee I tried was some brand from the supermarket.
    Supermarket coffee is stale rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by 12273032023A2738343931550 link=1285849402/1#1 date=1285850393
    use fresh beans
    If you dont use fresh beans ground just before you make your coffee, youll be wasting all the money you spent on any equipment.

Um, can I just say, despite the coffeesnobs we have around here :P, for the OP, how much do you drink coffee?

And do you like coffee for the espresso taste or just milk based?

Reason Im asking is that all the suggestions above focus on the coffee and no offence, but if you cant tell the difference between a Moccona, Nescafe, Arabica Nescafe, Java etc. there really is no point in bothering with trying to "better coffee" and tbh, my suggestion is first upgrade your tastebuds?
    ^^ Thats not meant to be a snobby statement :P
    I simply meant wait til the coffee addiction gets to you, you dont need sugar, and a diluted coffee from the local cafe drives you insane, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by 636663626A670F0 link=1285849402/7#7 date=1286777311
    Reason Im asking is that all the suggestions above focus on the coffee
    lilmeh that was for a reason.
    The OP wont be able to upgrade their tastebuds UNLESS they try better coffee.
    If after that they cant tell the difference between fresh coffee and supermarket coffee then you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by 6065606169640C0 link=1285849402/7#7 date=1286777311
    but if you cant tell the difference between a Moccona, Nescafe, Arabica Nescafe, Java etc.
    Why would you want to?

Quote Originally Posted by 6065606169640C0 link=1285849402/7#7 date=1286777311
    no point in bothering with trying to "better coffee" and tbh, my suggestion is first upgrade your tastebuds?
    Here we have a full time student on a limited budget, enjoys coffee and would like to take the next affordable step and you tell him he should upgrade his tastebuds. ::)
    I reckon the guys recommending the Aeropress and Sunbeam grinder are on the right track. ;)

I drink up to 6 coffees a day. I can tell the difference between some coffees. Mostly espresso i.e. with hot water and a bit of milk.

I just find if I drink too much instant coffee it leaves me feeling "coffee logged" (as opposed to water logged). As a uni student I need my coffee.

Ive ordered a Sunbeam EM0450 coffee grinder.

Heh the reason for my post above is that lately I met a lot of people who are spending a lot on coffee for the hype and not because they can taste the differences.
    e.g. I have a few friends who cannot taste the difference between say, Single Origin and a $2 coffee shop with diluted coffee and yet would go to Single Origin because "everyone else said it was good coffee". I just dont really see the point in spending so much on coffee if they cant taste the difference and it doesnt do anything for them other than the hype.
    Ive also met cafe owners who never drank coffee in their life and cheats customers because they themselves cant tell the difference, like only filling up filters to half instead of to the top (Sydney CBD beware!).
    So yeh, end rant, I guess I just dont see the point for some people to invest in coffee if they cant tell the difference. :P

But if you really need and I stress need, a coffee maker then as a fellow student, I would suggest saving up on what you can for a bit longer as that budget is really really small and if having a small budget means you end up on not so great coffee, youd just end up buying coffee anyways which is worse for your budget.
    Also, take note of how often you are home. A lot of a students dont really think through that they are at uni at lot so its also hard to find time to be home, and most importantly, to be home to make coffee and spend that time. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by 4554585A405B41350 link=1285849402/10#10 date=1286779694
    I drink up to 6 coffees a day. I can tell the difference between some coffees. Mostly espresso i.e. with hot water and a bit of milk.

I just find if I drink too much instant coffee it leaves me feeling "coffee logged" (as opposed to water logged). As a uni student I need my coffee.

Ive ordered a Sunbeam EM0450 coffee grinder.
    Good move, how about the Aeropress?

Im coming to the end of semester and Ill be getting some extra money soon. So Ill have a lot of extra time on my hands in a few weeks.

Im applying for jobs for next year. So a good coffee at home wont go astray.

Id just like to be able to have a few coffees at home without the bad feeling I get in my stomach from drinking too many instant coffees. I think thats reason enough in itself.

With the Aeropress I might see what the coffee tastes like from my plunger first when I pick up my coffee grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by 7D787D7C7479110 link=1285849402/11#11 date=1286779808
    Heh the reason for my post above is that lately I met a lot of people who are spending a lot on coffee for the hype and not because they can taste the differences.
    e.g. I have a few friends who cannot taste the difference between say, Single Origin and a $2 coffee shop with diluted coffee and yet would go to Single Origin because "everyone else said it was good coffee". I just dont really see the point in spending so much on coffee if they cant taste the difference and it doesnt do anything for them other than the hype.
    Ive also met cafe owners who never drank coffee in their life and cheats customers because they themselves cant tell the difference, like only filling up filters to half instead of to the top (Sydney CBD beware!).
    So yeh, end rant, I guess I just dont see the point for some people to invest in coffee if they cant tell the difference. :P

But if you really need and I stress need, a coffee maker then as a fellow student, I would suggest saving up on what you can for a bit longer as that budget is really really small and if having a small budget means you end up on not so great coffee, youd just end up buying coffee anyways which is worse for your budget.
    Also, take note of how often you are home. A lot of a students dont really think through that they are at uni at lot so its also hard to find time to be home, and most importantly, to be home to make coffee and spend that time. Just my two cents.
    I kind of see your reasoning, however coffee preferences change dramatically during the course of your life, I guess most of us started on instant and immediately realising there had to be better began the quest, but to use a cliché, ya gotta take the first step.

Quote Originally Posted by 6F7E72706A716B1F0 link=1285849402/13#13 date=1286780381
    Id just like to be able to have a few coffees at home without the bad feeling I get in my stomach from drinking too many instant coffees. I think thats reason enough in itself.
    Sounds like a pretty good reason to me. ;)

Develop your coffee making at your own rate depending on the drive of your taste buds and what your pocket allows.

I think you should keep away from Nespresso and automatics if you want great coffee.

Like many others here I drank instant for years and enjoyed it.

I then went to filtered coffee of various origins including supermarkets. For some time I lived where there were no commercial roasters.

Then I found some high quality browns and moved to a plunger using a blade grinder.

Later I progressed through *a series of burr grinders and espresso machines and home roasting.

The last time I tasted an instant coffee the nasty taste lingered on and I swore never to drink it again. Now if I am where I can’t trust the coffee I drink tea, water, beer or a nice red.

All the best in your search for great coffee. Once hooked it is hard to break the habit.

Barry