Thread: Need some tips and help new 800es and 480 grinder

Need some tips and help new 800es and 480 grinder

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Im A coffee newbie learning and bought
    Breville 800es and sunbeam 480 burr grinder
    I buy fresh beans good quality.

Im waiting for my steam wand tip it wasnt In the box would that be effecting my milk frothing ability? Its just the wand ATM Im missing the entire tip. The Wand at present just leaks like a tap its been cleaned too.

The other issue is I bought a krups double filter and am finding it leave coffee grins in the cup just a small amount is it because I dont use a concave tamper?

And whats the deal with tampers I just want a decent good price one for my new Krups basket are they sold anywhere in melb?

So far Im getting better current grind settings is set to 10

Re: Need some tips and help new 800es and 480 grinder

Finding it hard to get the right setting gettin it not to weak or strong. Tastes ok tho. Anyone with this grinder recommend a sEtting?

Would a good tamper improve performance with an unpressurized filter?

Gday, and welcome to CoffeeSnobs. :)

The definition of an adequate tamper is one that is well-fitting to the basket, with no more than 1 or 2 mm slack. Any more and you are likely to get channeling around the edges. After that, "good" depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. :o

There are NO RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR ANY GRINDER!! other than the one that gets you the best taste. Grinders are all different enough, and each bean is different enough, and each machine is different enough, that trial (and error) is all that can be recommended. Flat or convex tamper will be unlikely to make any difference at all.

The holes in the Krups baskets are quite large and will often allow grinds through. The other option is to cut the bottom off the pressurised basket. (If it is the same as an Ikon basket, I offer this service under the "Pay it Forward" thread.)

If your steam wand leaks your whole machine is in jeapordy!! Get it fixed immediately while it is under warranty!!

As far as grinding, dosing, tamping, and extracting are concerned, a search of this website will provide lots of hints and guidance. Just ensure you change the default search time from 1 week.

Have fun.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 725C50434208310 link=1286526660/0#0 date=1286526659
    Im waiting for my steam wand tip it wasnt In the box would that be effecting my milk frothing ability?
    You mean the small (2cm long) nozzle with one tiny hole in the end?

yes, without that you may as well be blowing in a straw into your milk ;)

If you mean the 10cm tubular type thing (froth enhancer), then no you dont need it.

The Wand at present just leaks like a tap
    Are you making coffee first, and then using the wand? You have to give it 30s or so to get going, ("bleed" it by pointing it in the drip tray) but after this there should only be minimal water coming out. If theres lots then you have a problem, and it should be fixed.

HTH :)