Thread: Ikon+Nemox Lux Crema Problem

Ikon+Nemox Lux Crema Problem

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ok my Ikon has unpressurised baskets and I have a Nemox grinder. Been using freshly roasted beans from Single Origin at 3.5/4 setting on Nemox as per suggested by Single Origin.
    Dismal crema. *:(

Setting on Nemox 4 means Ikon is backwashing for long time before espresso comes out.. although it does come out, eventually (very very slow drip only). Seems I got the best crema here meaning about 1mm layer which dissipates eventually to sides *:(

Setting <4 means no espresso comes out.

Setting 5/6 means espresso has mouses tail but the coffee is lighter in color (?) and tastes like diluted short black :(

Any ideas?

TC

Re: Ikon+Nemox Crema Problem

Quote Originally Posted by 2D282D2C2429410 link=1286770287/0#0 date=1286770287
    Ok my Ikon has unpressurised baskets and I have a Nemox grinder. Been using freshly roasted beans from Single Origin at 3.5/4 setting on Nemox as per suggested by Single Origin.
    Dismal crema. *:(

Setting on Nemox 4 means Ikon is backwashing for long time before espresso comes out.. although it does come out, eventually (very very slow drip only). Seems I got the best crema here meaning about 1mm layer which dissipates eventually to sides *:(

Setting <4 means no espresso comes out.

Setting 5/6 means espresso has mouses tail but the coffee is lighter in color (?) and tastes like diluted short black :(

Any ideas?
    Better grinder or mod it to remove the steps ;)

Re: Ikon+Nemox Crema Problem

Quote Originally Posted by 035C445259525E575754545C505F310 link=1286770287/1#1 date=1286772396

Better grinder or mod it to remove the steps ;)
    Hmm, Ive seen people here with these machines in this combo with better results though.. I think it must be me doing something wrong...

Re: Ikon+Nemox Lux Crema Problem

I dont know what the steps are like on that grinder, but slow drips means too much resistance, and diluted taste means not enough!

Somehow you have to get in the middle. If you cant do it with the grinder, then you have to do it with your dose and tamp.

Take the smallest step up from 4. that you can. If its still gushing, put in more grinds, and tamp harder. If you had a perfect setup you would be looking for a 15kg-ish tamp, but if you dont have the ultimate setup then tamp the hell outa it if you have to! All in the name of science of course ;)

ok will try a 5 with super hard tamp on my next coffee and keep you guys updated

hmm.. ok I have a question, if the crema dissipates slowly from the cup, is that fake crema?

Actually.... ::)

When I owned an Imat/Nemox/Lelit Lux Grinder, it performed very well when paired with my Imat Mokita. Excellent coffee became the norm not the exception, so I wouldnt be too hasty in wanting to trade up to something else.

Re: the persistent Crema....
    If you are back to using Pressurised Baskets again then yes, it might be Faux Crema but if youre using high quality, freshly roasted coffee then the Crema is probably real. On the other hand, if youre sticking with Standard (non-pressurised) Baskets, then this is the Real Stuff and to be enjoyed.... 8-) ;D

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 7C51555954380 link=1286770287/6#6 date=1286886833
    On the other hand, if youre sticking with Standard (non-pressurised) Baskets, then this is the Real Stuff and to be enjoyed.... 8-) ;D

Mal.
    Baskets are unpressurised but as I said previously, the crema kinda of disappears to the sides after leaving it around for more than 2 mins or so..

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 494C4948404D250 link=1286770287/7#7 date=1286893738
    Quote Originally Posted by 7C51555954380 link=1286770287/6#6 date=1286886833
    On the other hand, if youre sticking with Standard (non-pressurised) Baskets, then this is the Real Stuff and to be enjoyed.... 8-) ;D

Mal.
    Baskets are unpressurised but as I said previously, the crema kinda of disappears to the sides after leaving it around for more than 2 mins or so..
    Depends on teh beans and what sort of a shot was pulled.

I have had some great ones where teh crema just hangs around and yet other shots will dissipate rather quickly..

The trick is to drink it and not watch it, after 2 min its going cold :D ;D

I completely agree with AM on that one.

Why the heck would you be leaving it for 2 minutes or more?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4478657E747562777F74100 link=1286770287/10#10 date=1286932816
    Why the heck would you be leaving it for 2 minutes or more?
    So lilmeh how BIG or Pin hole are your iriss at this stage ?

Maybe one likes to stare into the pretty oil residue and patterns in the glass..

If so, I want what lilmeh has had, prior to watching his crema *:D ;D

Cause at this stage my eyes just shake side to side after a good coffee *;D

Something like this

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHmKEWO6Wzs[/media]

OMG so OT. * Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by 77585153447B57585751535B535842360 link=1286770287/11#11 date=1286934470

If so, I want what lilmeh has had, prior to watching his crema *:D ;D
    Firstly, her :P

Secondly, I just checked it and the crema actually dissipates to the sides in about 10 secs after I pull the shot..

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have the same issue with my Ikon paired with a Sunbeam grinder (0450).* I see pics of other peoples shots where the crema accounts for a third of the volume (or height in the glass, at least) of the shot, and alas I get barely enough crema to cover the top of the shot, and it very quickly dissipates* :(

Did you pinpoint the cause of your lack of crema?* Ive tried adjusting dose/tamp to a point, but find, like you, that the machine does choke fairly easily with either too firm a tamp, and particularly with too fine a grind.

FWIW, Im relatively happy with the coffee I can produce, but I take the lack of crema as an indication that there is plenty of scope for improvement in my technique.* Or perhaps its an indication that there is plenty of scope for improvement in my equipment... but any advice on a technique level is most welcome - this I can afford! ;D

If you can choke the machine,m and the temperature is close enough to correct to count, then odds are that it is the coffee you are using. No crema usually means stale coffee. Thinking back over my ten+ years of home experience, I think the only time I got less than half of a cup of crema was when I forgot to put coffee in the portafilter.* *;)

<--- check that image! Thats two full ounces of crema from home roasted coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by 51626D677A5C442D030 link=1286770287/14#14 date=1308114880
    No crema usually means stale coffee.
    I knew I shouldve mentioned the fact that Im using freshly roasted coffee (roasted myself).* Im assuming there is nothing in my roasting practise that could have a massive impact on crema, but could be wrong?

My "go to" bean of choice is the Peru Deja Silva, and I usually try to let it rest for around a week, and use within a total of 3 weeks from roast date, but sometimes due to poor management of my stock levels, use prior to 1 week, or post 3 weeks where needed.

I must admit that I generally store the roasted beans in ziplock bags, which is not ideal.* They are stored in the bottom of pantry inside a supermarket cooler bag to try to control heat, light and humidity.* Any potential impact from this storage method?

Gday Damien... :)

Nothing particularly wrong with that storage method if youre talking small bean quantities that you consume in a few days... Longer periods than this you should be storing in 1-Way Valve Bags...

The presence or lack thereof of Crema could be down to your technique, i.e. your Dose, Distribution and to a lesser extent, your Tamper and the consistency of the force you use. Perhaps you could make a video of your typical routine and then we can take it from there....

Re: your home-roasting method... If the coffee in the cup tastes great then theres nothing wrong with your roasting method.... 8-)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 54515D59555E5807300 link=1286770287/15#15 date=1308115379
    I must admit that I generally store the roasted beans in ziplock bags, which is not ideal.* They are stored in the bottom of pantry inside a supermarket cooler bag to try to control heat, light and humidity.* Any potential impact from this storage method?
    Others may comment and may think differently, but I use ziplock bags and have no problems with this method. One way valves are not necessary for small amounts of beans. If you are roasting 1kg at a time, the degassing might cause probs, but I currently do 150g batches. I dont worry about light or heat once I crack open a bag as it only lasts a few days. YMMV

To the OP, I figured out the problem but I havent fixed it yet.

Im pretty sure its the tamp. I also adjusted to finer settings and now its ok but not brilliant. Until I have money for a Pullman, its going to take awhile to fix ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 6F42464A472B0 link=1286770287/16#16 date=1308124206
    Perhaps you could make a video of your typical routine and then we can take it from there....
    Taken me a while to get this organsed - finally got a (large) shot glass and made the time to check out what was going on, plus take some video.... not sure what I was worried about (in terms of crema) after all that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeUgSixgtvI

Quote Originally Posted by 2A2F23272B2026794E0 link=1286770287/19#19 date=1310210135
    .... not sure what I was worried about (in terms of crema) after all that.
    P.S. I forgot to mention to some extent, the problem was the width of my mug heh.

That shot looked pretty decent to me Damien 8-)... Maybe a little longer than I would go for but thats just down to personal taste.... ;)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 54797D717C100 link=1286770287/21#21 date=1310395780
    Maybe a little longer than I would go for but thats just down to personal taste....
    Thanks Mal.

Youre probably right... to be honest I was so focussed on the volume of the shot (watching the 60ml line), not to mention concentrating on holding the camera in the right spot, that I probably threw my normal processes out the window a little... in fact I even had to watch the video back afterwards because I realised I hadnt even been paying attention to blonding etc!