Thread: Breville BES820 excessive water in drip tray

Breville BES820 excessive water in drip tray

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all

I just bought a Breville BES820 and am disappointed with some of its behaviour. I would appreciate any advice on whether these behaviours are normal or perhaps a defect.

1) I am not sure what the purpose of the drip tray is. I thought it was to catch any spills that I may cause. However after brewing 2 x 2 cups and not spilling a drop there is 55ml of water in the drip tray. This is when I dont use the steam wand. If I do use the steam wand the amount of water in the drip tray increases dramatically. (120ml in the drip tray after 1 x 2 cups)
    2) When using the steam wand the hot water spout starts leaking. I guess I can make sure the hot water spout is over the drip tray when steaming but that seems like unnecessary fiddling and if I forget I have water on the bench.
    3) When I switch from steam back to standby the machine makes a lot of noise and issues another purge through the grouphead as well as a lot of steam from from around the grouphead.

It looks to me like this machine is defective or am I just expecting too much?

Re: Breville BES820 excessive water in drip tray

1) The water in the drip tray is from the release of pressure once brewing is finished ie normal.

2) Sounds like there might be an issue there with a leaky seal or valve etc might be worth getting fixed under warranty.

3) This is the machines way of dropping the temperature of the thermoblock down to brew temp from steaming temp, not very elegant but effective.

I have had a play with this machine for a few days over easter and it is a good machine for the price, are you using the unpressurised baskets and if so are you able to grind fine enough to get 30 mls in 30 secs? I couldnt but apparently there is an easy fix to get it to grind a bit finer.

Hope that helps

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by 715545535414200 link=1287873862/0#0 date=1287873862
    Hi all
    welcome :)

1) I am not sure what the purpose of the drip tray is. I thought it was to catch any spills that I may cause.
    That, and any steam / water it blows off. *I notice it gurgles after every brew - some sort of flush or something. *And more when steaming as mentioned already.

Also while it sits still, youll hear the temp rise and fall as the element turns on and off. *At the top of the cycle a few drops of water overflow.

Add that to my temp surfing and warming flushes and theres a lot of water left over.

2) When using the steam wand the hot water spout starts leaking.
    Doesnt happen for me - this is definitely a problem!

3) When I switch from steam back to standby the machine makes a lot of noise and issues another purge through the grouphead as well as a lot of steam from from around the grouphead.
    purge yes, but through the grouphead, no! *Possibly another problem...

It looks to me like this machine is defective or am I just expecting too much?
    Was this a second-hand or refurb? *Sounds like a leaky solenoid and/or leaky steam/water selector valve (on the RHS).

I dont know too much about the internals - I would guess theres a solenoid controlling the flow to grouphead, and another one controlling the hot water/steam, and a valve directing water to the steam wand or hot water wand. *Ive put a fair bit of pressure through mine and never had a leak spring out anywhere.

HTH :)

Hi Ian

Thanks for your reply. This was a brand new machine. I got a scare with all the issues it had and returned it to the shop for a refund. Am now back in the market for an espresso machine.

I have a basic old Krups machine that works with heat. It is better than instant and will have to do the trick for now until I get something better.

Cheers

Hi Brett

Thanks for your reply.

I guess I should have figured that the drip tray was for more than just my occasional spill judging by the size of it. I still think that 120 ml after 1 brew for 2 cups are a bit much. At that rate I would be spending a lot of time emptying the drip tray and refilling the water tank.

In any case with this and the leaking hotwater wand I was very unconfortable with the machine and when the shop could not explain any of this I asked for a refund.

I must say I was very impressed with the coffee it made so I kind of miss it.

Cheers
    Kobus

well, if youre in the market, and youre impressed with this machine, then check out the oft-recommended sunbeam duo: em0480 + em6910. You can sometimes get a combo for ~ $700. $600 if youre super lucky.

You will probably get upgraditis sometime soon, and many sunbeams have their own leaking and servicing problems, but many are good for years. To get over these two problems you have to spend more!

No nonsense about the upgraditis mate. I already have it big time. I am now looking at 1)Saeco Via Venezia and 2)Gaggia Classic.

#1 seems OK enough but I saw quite a few comments about the steam wand being inferior. I want to texture my milk so this is an important part of the machine for me. Another issue is that the puc seems to be very wet and messy. This is a real issue for me cause I will usually make 2 double shots at a time. A mug for the wife and one for me. That means I need to get rid of the puc inbetween and I dont want to deal with a messy wet porta filter dripping coffee all over the kitchen bench. :(

#2 has the solenoid valve which makes sure there is no more water in the grouphead than needed and results in a drier puc. It also seem to have a better steam function. Nobody raves about it but I found only one comment complaining about it :)

So I guess what I am saying is that I am leaning strongly to the Gaggia. The Saeco seem to have more of a following but the Gaggia seem to fit my needs better.

Any comments on either of these machines or my logic? :-?

I dont know much about either, only that Id lean toward the Gaggia for quality. Someone else who owns / services them can comment more.

Next question: do you have a decent grinder and source of fresh beans? You wont get the best out of any machine if you cant make consistent fine grinds :)

No I thought Ill get the espresso machine sorted first and get working on the grinder after that. I am looking around for second hand machines as well and sometimes they come with a grinder included on the deal.

yeah, usually the "grinder included" ones are a bit cheap, unless its the 0480. Just dont use up all your budget on the machine!