Thread: machine & grinder for under $500 - impossible?

machine & grinder for under $500 - impossible?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    im trying to convince my boss to buy a setup for the office.. small office, so there are only 3 or so people who will partake in coffee..

im after suggestions.. obviously open to second hand units to save $$..

please help :)

Re: machine & grinder for under $500 - impossible?

What do you want? And dont say coffee!

IMHO most office drinkers like a mug-sized cup, which means percolator, dripolator, plunger, or long blacks.

Super-autos tend to be over-over-over extracted since people expect a full cup of water through the puck, as weve discussed many times before on cs :o

If you really want to go down the espresso route, I would recommend the usual sunbeam grinder since its doserless (less mess and misuse in inexperienced hands) and reasonable for the small office. Then you need a machine, but that needs to be cleaned, flushed, descaled, etc. But the pair for under $500?

Dont underestimate a good grinder, fresh beans and a good plunger (stay away from woollies, the strainer holes are too big!). Youd be looking at about $200 all up.

HTH,

As there are only 3 of you and if you are a bit keen to take the time to learn how to driver it, a secondhand Mokite or Lelit Combi would be tough and rugged machine grinder combo. Several of the sponsors sell them but they are over your budget.

Under $500 you are into home machines/grinders and the life span may be a bit limited along with the coffee quality. The Sunbeam 450 grinder (bare minimum) and the most expensive machine left in your budget fitted with an unpressurised filter basket will see you making good coffee if you feed it with good fresh beans.

edit dam sticky laptop keyboard ::)

so its not looking good.. :(

the other guy is a coffeesnob, so between myself and him wed be the ones making the coffees..

what about the gaggia classic?

thanks!

2nd hand lelit combi would be in your price range if you can find one.

If looking new then you will be very unlikely to find anything decent in your price range.

How many coffees per day are you expecting to make?

Would others be tempted to use the machine and accidentally not refill the boiler leading it to die?

i would say there would be 4 to 5 coffees a day.. i would be sitting next to the machine making she we dont get any stuff ups like you mentioned, ha..

thanks for the tip with the lelit combi

And you have to have machine based espresso?

Quote Originally Posted by 4F5A4B5E4D3F0 link=1288052527/5#5 date=1288074382
    making she we dont get any stuff ups
    Freudian slip? many of us do call our machines "she" ;D

Hmm.. I got my Ikon for $200 and my Nemox for $270 but this is in Sydney...

Dont think this setup is good for office but I can tell you I personally drink about 4 cups of coffee a day if that helps with the maths.

Not to discourage you but honestly not sure how good an idea it is to get a manual in the first place in an office for productivitys sake, just my two cents as a fellow CoffeeSnob because your boss may look for someone to blame if everyone is just standing around making coffee all day..

thanks again for the suggestions.. ;D

I like the aldi dual boiler auto. 2 year on site warranty. orginal price $400, but if avail now, likely cheaper. You would have to ring main aldi number & see if a store in your area still has one.

As someone has already mentioned, the lay person who buys coffee from starbuks expect full sized coffees, not 30-60ml coffees. With this machine I found it quite easy to dial in a course grind which did not over-extract with a 150ml pour. I gauge coffee based on flavour, good aroma, nice crema & not bitter, its likely a person from this forum studying the pour colour/consistency would not be happy as obviously the pour is thinner but for longer duration.

At 5 coffees a day youd have to refill water & empty coffee puck bin once a day & slide out and pour warm water on coffee group every 2nd day (not necessary, but manual tells you to)

Anyway I doubt youre interested in this suggestion but I think it would work well with the least amount of mucking about for people working who want quality freshly ground coffee at a push of a button & within budget.

* (2 year onsite warranty only for personal use, youd have to take it home with you if ever it broke)
    * (machine has coffee counter which is to help you remember to run anti-scale mode to keep pipes calcium free, but maybe also used to detect business quantity use in warranty situation)

Hi all, Ive just joined CS, and have been reading through recommendations, etc, because im looking to buy a new machine on a limited budget (<$500).
    I was kind of settling on picking up a Sunbeam EM5900, when i came across this deal
    mod edit url removed- see site sales and posting policy

* Artista Espresso Machine
    * Conival Burr Coffee Grinder
    for $479

I am checking out the part number now, but Ill keep you posted...

Confirmed: This deal is for A Sunbeam EM5900 and a EM0480 grinder.

Serendipity, cause i was reading the other post about finding a similar combo for $380, thinking that sounded pretty good.

Sounds like a bargain, no?

I dont think theyre around anymore, but my Breville Ikon was only $220 or something from Target, and the Sunbeam EM480 can be acquired for around ~$200, or the EM450 for even less..

I think youre asking for trouble though, the learning curve and novelty factor must be a huge distraction at work :P

I like iaindbs suggestion, fresh beans, good grinder and a plunger (or an aeropress? :P)