Thread: Something to replace the Breville Cafe Roma

Something to replace the Breville Cafe Roma

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Greetings,

I currently have a Breville Cafe Roma - I have had the basket modified to turn it into a zero pressure basket, but over the past few weeks its started to go downhill a bit with pressure inconsistency. I cant get shots to go 25-30 seconds any more - if the grind is too fine nothing comes out, any courser and it just streams through. (I have a Zassenhaus hand grinder). I was able to get decent coffee out of this machine at one point in time (w/ milk - but I enjoyed it and those I was sharing it with thought it better than shop coffee).

Having had another Roma die just recently at the in laws (after about 14 months) and this one just got to the 30 month mark - Im thinking something a little better this time around, and not Breville, as pretty much everything we have with that brand is dying.

I dont need a grinder as Im happy with the hand jobbie - gets in my daily exercise, but the machines they confuse me - I realise a bigger budget would be better and move up to a much nicer machine, that will last longer and be more consistent, but with the Roma on the way out, thats just not something thats going to happen.

Ive read through a few threads and see much mention of Roma or Sunbeam machines + grinder, Im just trying to work out the absolute best machine I can get for my budget, and anything else that I should grab/do when getting the new machine (ie: I discovered dropping the pressure on the Romas basket about 6-9 months ago).

Re: Something to replace the Breville Cafe Roma

Hi,

Sorry from the outset Im writing stuff you may not want to hear but Ive recently had a similar situation.
    I use a breville BES200 occasionally and I thought I had pressure major problems with it choking on finer grinds using a hario mini mill and a KYM hand grinder (similar to the zassenhaus, has positive reviews from those whove owned both).

Recently I have tried my new old (;D) Faema ex-commercial grinder and no matter how fine I grind the breville will not choke. The shots just come out more slowly (even at turkish powder) - up to a minute plus for a 30g shot from a double.

My conclusion is that there is too much dust in the hand grinders due either or both that the grinding area is too small or the shaft wiggles too much.
    Perhaps you can borrow a different grinder or try a different pre-grind to see if that helps - a good grinder is going to help any machine. Pre-grind would be poor for drinking but may at least be diagnostic. Perhaps the grinder is on its way out?

Finally, what you were asking:
    At sub 500 you could get some pretty good gaggia machines on evilbay, recently the classic has been going for sub 200 including shipping.
    I have found that the BES200 brews at far too low a temperature (65C straight out of the group head into the cup) for me to consider getting that brand for myself.

Thanks for the response. Not quite what I was hoping for. I still suspect some machine becoming unhappy with life - its little things like noises when preheating basket (not the same as yesterday), seeming differences between pressure when preheating the basket and the milk frother going great then chugging, then going great (even after full cleans). I just assumed this meant machine - Ive also had grinds where Ive got the 30 seconds in one handle, complete choke the next now occams razor would have it being me + tamping being the issue (being the simplest explanation), but Ive been super careful of late.

I have a mate who has a decent grinder - when I can get away from the little ones Ill see what hes up to. (Some ex commercial jobbie and a funky machine that even second hand at 10 years old is a few too many times more than my budget allows).

If one were to grab a machine from somewhere like the evilbay, how does one avoid getting someone elses problems - especially as Id have no idea of what to expect from such a machine by default.

brett230873

Quote Originally Posted by 2A262B2B2E222A2420470 link=1289882669/2#2 date=1289935130
    If one were to grab a machine from somewhere like the evilbay, how does one avoid getting someone elses problems - especially as Id have no idea of what to expect from such a machine by default.
    Sorry to be a kill joy but the reality is that: if you need to ask that question then you will most likely be wasting your time and money. Best bet is to buy something from a retailer with a warranty. Coffee-a-roma are on Ebay and have good customer feedback but their machines start far in excess of what you possibly want to spend. Why not visit one of the local Canberra sponsors and get some info and possibly a free coffee thrown into the mix? Cosmorex springs to mind! Good luck and keep us (ready for the pun...) posted!

Ive been doing some further research and its looking like the Lelit LPL041E is looking like a decent option, its not $500, but for $120 or so more, is close enough, may have to wander around some Canberra places - but google only has one reseller Ive found Jetblack as per over on the left (I assume that means Im allowed to mention them).

In the mean time - may as well put away some cash every time the current one is used to help defray the costs of replacement.

Itd also be worth your while to talk to Attilio or one of his crew at CosmoreX Coffee in Canberra. Theyre local after all.... ;)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 0D20242825490 link=1289882669/5#5 date=1290070402
    Itd also be worth your while to talk to Attilio or one of his crew at CosmoreX Coffee in Canberra. Theyre local after all.... ;)

Mal.
    They may be local, but based on the machines on their site (with no prices listed) a google shows their range to start around double that of the Lelit. I may be local to Canberra but Im still prepared to put my budget ahead of such ideals.

Quote Originally Posted by 5D515C5C59555D5357300 link=1289882669/6#6 date=1290116889
    Quote Originally Posted by 0D20242825490 link=1289882669/5#5 date=1290070402

Mal.
    They may be local, but based on the machines on their site (with no prices listed) a google shows their range to start around double that of the Lelit. I may be local to Canberra but Im still prepared to put my budget ahead of such ideals.
    Yeah but what Mal said about talking to them might be worth your while, yes they deal in higher end machines but you never no what they have unless you ask.

If you go down to Hardly Normal and get another roma in about
    12 months you might be back at the same point (broken machine)

worth the call for a chat

Oh I have no intention of grabbing another Breville product for many many years - this month: kettle, toaster and as original post - I suspect the machine is on the way out based on the noises its making.

Ive fired off a email to CosmoreX and see what they have to say. That said, Im not going to go spend 80%-100% on a machine because their local when there seems to be a decent machine (Lalit) available interstate for only a small amount over my budget.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 2D212C2C29252D2327400 link=1289882669/8#8 date=1290123741
    Ive fired off a email to CosmoreX and see what they have to say. That said, Im not going to go spend 80%-100% on a machine because their local when there seems to be a decent machine (Lalit) available interstate for only a small amount over my budget.
    Hmm....perhaps its just the text v voice thing mallie da mcg, but that reads as negative and dismissive... *:(

Attilio and his crew have a much wider range than what you will find on the website.

Give that youre just around the corner, why not walk/grab the bike/jump in the car and go visit and see for yourself? *:-?

I am sure you will find the trip beneficial and Attilios crew will be happy to look after you.

2mcm

Sorry if it came across negative and dismissive, perhaps Im overly non thinky when it comes to typing at the moment. I currently have a 3 week old who is not so happy today and a very active 19 month old - so am sleep deprived, money deprived and ability to get out of the house deprived.

I tend to do all my research and decide on options on the internet and then locate the cheapest way to get said item that I want. I dont do people, I dont like shopping in person - I hate it so much its not funny. Perhaps Im a tad on the defensive with the whole go local go, local, go in, and the idea of dealing with people as opposed to dealing with pages of texts got to me.

I do appreciate feedback/comments - I just like to grab info, make a decision and then fire off an order dealing with as little people in person as possible.

I didnt have a choice but to buy interstate when I did but as you have the choice its obviously prudent to investigate all options.

Thought I should pop in and update.

I ended up going just over my $500 mark with an ex-demo Rancilio Silvia from cosmorex . It did a great job with the Zassenhaus hand grinders output, and the guys locally were friendly, helpful and it was a good experience.

The minister of war and finance was happy to approve and pass the legistlation to release the funds for said purchase. ;D

Props to Atillio and Michael. (and of course the members of CS)

Excellent outcome m-d-m... 8-)

Looks like you got a terrific deal there mate - Happy brewing ahead... :D

Mal.