Thread: Gaggia Dandy

Gaggia Dandy

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I was looking at getting non pressurised baskets for my cafe roma when I came across a Gaggia Dandy (whilst perusing for a baby). Cant find much on it at all but I thought "what the heck, it is a Gaggia" and put a bid on for it as noone had bid. Lo and behold I won it for $40. Am yet to pick it up but could one really go too far wrong at that price? OK coffee snobs what do we all know about this critter?

Re: Gaggia Dandy

Found a diagram for it at:
    http://www.sreweb.com/diagrams/dandygaggia.htm

Looks pretty much the same as the Gaggia Espresso, but according to a thread on coffeegeek, the Dandy has the three way valve (and the parts schematic seems to confirm this). Assuming this is the case and it actually works, you got a seriously good bargain. Youve pretty much got a Gaggia classic in a plastic case.

My suggestion is to tune the over pressure valve to approximately correct pressure and install a PID (or have someone install one for you). If you like milk based drinks, a Rancilio steam wand is a useful upgrade.

Plenty of threads here and on other forums for ways to tune/modify your Gaggia. Ill also be happy to answer questions you may have, to the best of my ability.

Quote Originally Posted by 676F61696B71716D6169020 link=1291195141/1#1 date=1291200302
    Found a diagram for it at:
    http://www.sreweb.com/diagrams/dandygaggia.htm

My suggestion is to tune the over pressure valve to approximately correct pressure and install a PID (or have someone install one for you). *If you like milk based drinks, a Rancilio steam wand is a useful upgrade.
    I am going to sound like an ignoramus here but I have no idea what a PID is. Only really new to this lingo. Help me Obewan Kanobe *;D
    PS What are the Gaggia grinders like?

No need to worry about sounding ignorant, Id never heard of a PID until 3 months ago. The more I read, the more I realised I wanted one.

To keep it simple, a PID controller in this context is an electronic means of maintaining your machines temperature to within one degree of whatever value you choose. The stock thermostat has variation of about 15 degrees from memory, so quality of shots will vary. You can learn to temperature surf by timing when you pull your shots relative to the ready light going on or off, but the PID controller makes things really easy. You can also chose different temps for different beans.

My PID cost me $40 all up.

Browse around other threads relating to Pid, gaggia, tuning and youll learn a lot about your new machine.

Thanks for that. I will have a play with it once I get it. Should make a better brew than the cafe roma from what I understand.

Got the machine and it seems to be working well apart from it blowing out. I am thinking that the seal is looking a bit on the tired side. Anyone know of a gaggia dealer that would have seals for them? Apart from being a plastic case it appears to be pretty well constructed. Pretty happy for $40. I grabbed a Gaggia grinder off them too,MM I think? $10 not a great grinder but ok to take and leave at work. any help appreciated.

Assuming you mean the group head seal, lots of places stock them. I was told the rancilio silvia seal is the same by the folks at coffee-a-roma and I had no trouble fitting it to my classic. Dont know if it is identical, but it works.

Di Bartoli also stock gaggia seals and other parts. Expect to pay around $10 for one. As I dont know where you are I cant say who might be local to you, but pretty much any sponsor or reputable coffee place can help with something this straightforward.

It is easy to change if you know what to do, google search for "gaggia group gasket replacement". Basically, remove the shower screen with a philips screwdriver, allen key to remove the diffuser plate, couple of self tapper screws to yank out the old gasket then push in new one and reassemble.

Many thanks for that. I found a great "how to" page complete with excellent pics. The buttons are different and in a different place and it is stainless, but apart from that it looks that same. Me a happy chappy! Now I have to learn to drive the thing. I am in Newcastle area so I will call that Sydney sponsor and chat with them. Again many thanks

You probably found the same how to page as me, it made everything really clear.

Unless you are making a trip to Sydney, youll need to arrange shipment which for a $10 part could be a bit high. Chat to the folks at Di Bartoli though as this would fit in an envelope and might be shipped for lower cost than normal.

If you are placing an order anyway, you might want to consider a rancilio steam arm upgrade. I got my steam arm from Di BArtoli, only problem I had with it is that it is now impossible to remove my water tank for cleaning - I have to unscrew the steam arm each time I want to take the tank out. Might be related to my machine being an old model though, as mine is now 17 years old. The milk steaming capacity is noticeably improved, but the PID also helps a lot with that.

There may be another site sponsor nearer Newcastle, have a browse of the sponsors on the left. Good luck

Who me?, thak you very much for the referal.

Oneday, enclose step by step how to replace group head seal from Gaggia Classic.

http://www.bluebox.com.au/jcrayon/gaggia/

Have fun.

Regards

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre