Thread: Experiences of a coffeenoob (Breville Ikon with krups basket/em0480)

Experiences of a coffeenoob (Breville Ikon with krups basket/em0480)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I always thought I made great cups of coffee with an old Krups machine id received off my aunty a couple of years ago (albeit this was with supermarket pre ground vittoria) until I really pushed my self to get a basic but reccomended machine/grinder combo.

The final straw was when I was replacing the group seal on the machine and had snapped the screw. :( I realised the hold coffee had on me when I found myself at the 24 hour K-mart buying a plunger and mocka pot at 9pm, spending the next few hours working out my next steps, how was I going to cope without my morning and afternoon cappucinos?

A week later I had ordered a secondhand Breville Ikon and picked up an em0480 from the good guys for a steal. Some fresh coffee beans from peaberrys (Newcastles premier roasters I presume) and I was away, using the better part of a 250g bag of beans working out the correct grind and tamp, although I was still using the poor plastic excuse that comes with the machine, and a makeshift "unpressurized filter" from the original pressurized basket. At this point id removed the "crema enhancer" and was pouring directly from the basket (thanks to the wide opening left from the basket remove button).

Since then I purchased a $20 metal tamp from peaberrys but still something wasnt 100%.
    Fast forward to yesterday when I received a phone call letting me know my krups double unpressurized basket was in, I headed over and picked it up. Doing everything the same, but replacing my makeshift basket with the krups basket, I could not believe the shot that was coming out compared to every other one I had done. Not only did it taste great, but the colour, consistency and even the thick sound of the pour, i couldnt believe a simple basket could make so much difference.

So I believe the point of this post is, if any other noobs out there are considering upgrading to a non pressurized basket, DO IT! You have no idea what youre missing out on.

Re: Experiences of a coffeenoob (Breville Ikon with krups basket/em0480)

Just my two cents for other CSers on the topic here, theres a place in Hornsby (Sydney) whos a Breville Agent that sells ESP4 (Ikon, Bar Italia official unpressurised baskets) for $10 instead of the $30 you pay Breville.

Google is your friend ;)

cheers lilmeh, i paid $16 for my krups basket here in newcastle, thatd probably be better! although my krups will do the job :)

Quote Originally Posted by 20303C27273A203B21323E313C530 link=1292274097/0#0 date=1292274097
    So I believe the point of this post is, if any other noobs out there are considering upgrading to a non pressurized basket, DO IT! You have no idea what youre missing out on.
    Hi,

I have the Ikon and am planning to get a 2nd hand EM0480.

Can you tell me which exact tamp and basket I need to get?

And if anyone knows where in Sydney or online website is best please let me know.

Thank you!