Thread: Breville 800es stopping mid brew

Breville 800es stopping mid brew

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,
    Ive had my Breville 800es for 2 years, just recently it has started to cut out about 20-30 sec into an brew. The pump stops and the heating LED flashes. to reset the machine has to be turned off/on.
    This also happens when I run some water through the empty group first up, but not during steaming (it will steam for however long i need).
    anyone have any ideas what might me causing it? does it sound terminal or fixable?

Cheers
    Barra

Re: Breville 800es stopping mid brew

gday barra.
    I joined this group so I could ask for help.....with my Breville 800es that stops mid-brew!
    Before asking the question I thought I would have a scroll through and...there it was.
    I see you posted a few weeks ago and youve had no replies, so I dont think Ill bother.
    I also noticed in another thread that there arent any workshop manuals for Breville so, even though a basic tinkerer only, theres probably nothing to do but bin it. The garbage collection is only a few days away.
    Mine started by me being able to fix it by turning the power of and on, while the selector switch remained set to fill the cup. Now its not responding to that. My guessis its the board, so definitely bin it.
    Cheers
    Coffeeknut

While Im dont service machines you could start by looking for signs of corrosion, loose wires, etc. Perhaps there is a problem with the temperature probe or the element cables are half-rusted and might not be able to handle the current. YMMV and make sure you dont end up making it worse (or zapping yourself)! You might also consider de-scaling it, but be careful if it hasnt been done in 2 years.

Otherwise, save up for a good quality machine that is made to last a lifetime!

Ian we just picked one up off the pay it forward section and when we pulled it apart there is a lot of scale, why do you say be careful? Just dont want to do anything wrong if we use a descaler.

Ive heard that if you de-scale an aluminium machine that hasnt been done in a long time (or ever) you can end up with too much of the inside wall coming loose. But now that I look for the thread, I cant find any reference to it... So perhaps I am inventing memories again ;)