Thread: whats wrong with the machine (or me?)!

whats wrong with the machine (or me?)!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Im getting sick of the inconsistent results I get from my Breville. I know an upgrade is necessary eventually but I have to wait until I can afford something decent.

I would have taken my kit to see someone by now, but there are no sponsors up here :(

Last night I made a couple of coffees - they were sour and bitter. I left plenty of warm-up time in-between which usually isnt a problem. Im starting to think the pressure or temperature or something is wrong. This is how Im doing it:

machine - Breville BES820
    beans - good beans from Supreme Roasters
    grinder - modified breville BCG450 or GR RR45 with new burrs. Results seem to be similar but I dont go as fine as the GR can handle because the machine blocks up
    basket - modified original to remove false floor ("square" sides). I just took it apart and cleaned up the grinding so all the tiny holes are fully visible. Also tried krups with angular sides.
    pf - naked breville pf. It fits the machine and basket well.
    tamp - placky fantacky but Ive tried WDS and another hand-based distribution technique and little diff. (Ive cleaned up the beginning of the pour but not the end).

results: the best I can get is a reasonable start (by colour and stream) but it always melts down (ie squirting and spitting all over the inside of the cup). Ive never got anything like this lucky bugger: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1297579597 ! I cant get a 30ml/30s pour - if I go beyond about 15s it just blocks up. There is a pressure gage but it has no numbers. I would happily replace it if I knew a standard one would fit. The taste is usually fine with milk, but never good black.

So: should I get a temp probe, or is the pump perhaps dying? I dont recall things being this bad when I "started" but I was using the blind filter and standard equipment back then so I couldnt tell for sure... Its still under warranty, but I cant take it back with all this aftermarket accessories, and if I take it back with the original gear (which I still have) I fear theyll just say "it works fine"...

There is a little bit of steam coming out of the head when I flush it but this doesnt seem to change after 10 - 20s so I dont think thats a problem. Is there usually a tiny bit of steam or should there be none?

Sorry for my ramblings, as I said I would happily take it to one of the sponsors BYO classes but there arent any up here!

thanks for the tips :)

Re: whats wrong with the machine (or me?)!

My first machine was a similar breville. I had the same problems with sour AND bitter shots, poor crema, fast pour speed etc etc etc. Ended up upgrading to an Isomac and it is infinitely better on all accounts, just brilliant in comparison. I was unable to get good shots out of the breville no matter what i did - even trying different baskets, coffee, grinders etc. Nothing made much difference.

Thanks - thats good and bad news :) Funnily as my (limited) skills improve I feel satisfied, then as I take on a new challenge (eg. the bottomless pf) I become unsatisfied again... I just dont have the budget for a Tea...

Hi All,
    Im having the same issues with my Sunbeam 3800. I have bought some unpressurised Breville baskets (BWF100) which fit perfectly. However, I am still having issues with pulling decent shots consistently. I STRONGLY suspect it is the crappy plastic tamper which came with the machine. It doesnt extend to the edges of the filter basket when tamping, so you need to tamp around the edges. My guess is this causes inconsistent tamping and channeling resulting in an inconsistent extraction. I have a proper sized tamper arriving in the next week and Ill post my results up once I have used it a few times. I seriously do not know why these companies insist on including that plastic undersized piece of s^$% when for an extra $20 they could include a decent, correctly sized tamper! Probably listening to their accountants too much!

Cheers,
    Rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by 666167606D252D2323140 link=1297914177/3#3 date=1298162132
    for an extra $20 they could include a decent, correctly sized tamper!
    $20? Try 10 cents, or even nothing (theyre already getting it manufactured, so just get it manufactured in the right damned size). Plastic manufacture in bulk quantity doesnt exactly cost the earth in China.

Going from an incorrectly sized tamper to a correctly sized one, even in plastic, will make a HUGE difference. Going from a plastic to a nice metal one, a much smaller difference.

Im not saying its not worth having a quality tamper, but getting the right size is a long way towards solving the problems people experience out of the box.

Ive been putting off the tamper purchase in favour of other gear - baskets, jugs, etc. but maybe I just need to go for it. Id be interested to hear what Rusty says :)

Well, Im afraid its not good news, but then I really should have known better (especially after now having done some research)... The new tamper - which is again from sunbeam (part of their barista pack) although nice, shiny and heavy, is still TOO FRICKING SMALL!! I was assured it would fit but it doesnt. However the pack came with some other OK bits and pieces. Lesson here I guess is do plenty of research! Im going to bite the bullet and order a correctly sized pullman instead! Im sure Ill have some more info to post here in a while!

JJJ

Quote Originally Posted by 727A72757F791B0 link=1297914177/5#5 date=1298190511
    Ive been putting off the tamper purchase in favour of other gear - baskets, jugs, etc. but maybe I just need to go for it.*
    Nooo!!! Aside from a proper unpressurised basket (at least when dealing with Brevilles), a real tamper should be the highest priority purchase.

We all end up buying fancy jugs and way too many of them but the tamper is absolutely vital.

For what its worth, when i first started out i had the Breville model below yours (800ES) and ended up buying this tamper http://www.dibartoli.com.au/product/...1mm_S-S_Convex from site sponsor, Di Bartoli.

I didnt want to go to the expense of a top flight tamper because i knew id be upgrading later (and i certainly got an amazingly good tamper when i did finally upgrade) but the one from Di Bartoli fitted my Breville quite well and served me well until i upgraded everything.

Hey, thats a good looking tamper for $25! But I thought the Breville used a 49mm basket, not 51? My other option is to send a basket to Pullman, and then I only have to replace the base when I upgrade...

JJJ

Quote Originally Posted by 666E66616B6D0F0 link=1297914177/8#8 date=1298504502
    Hey, thats a good looking tamper for $25!
    Its quite solid and does a decent job on such a machine.
    I obviously wouldnt suggest a tamper like that for a high end machine for an entry level it does well, especially for those aiming to upgrade.

But I thought the Breville used a 49mm basket, not 51?
    I cant speak for your model (although it looks to be the same as my old one, plus the gauge) but my old 800ES most definitely was 51mm, as were some other Breville models around at the time.

After looking back through my order emails, this was the unpressurised basket i purchased from Pullman:
    http://thingscoffee.com.au/product_i...roducts_id=109

Halfway down it mentions its a 51mm basket.

My other option is to send a basket to Pullman, and then I only have to replace the base when I upgrade...
    Its up to you, of course.
    Personally i wanted to wait until i decided on a high end machine before investing in a high end tamper, one that i knew would suit my machine and my setup.

I guess it also depends on how long you plan on waiting before upgrading.

Keep us updated and maintain the faith because whilst its frustrating, im proof that with the right equipment you can get a decent coffee out of a Breville (emphasis on the decent* ;D ).

....Then you get upgraditis and spend way too much money on a shiny silver thing that makes you wonder how you put up with a Breville all that time. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 484848020 link=1297914177/9#9 date=1298505831
    I cant speak for your model (although it looks to be the same as my old one, plus the gauge) but my old 800ES most definitely was 51mm, as were some other Breville models around at the time.

After looking back through my order emails, this was the unpressurised basket i purchased from Pullman:
    http://thingscoffee.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=109

Halfway down it mentions its a 51mm basket.
    yep, thats the one I got too. I prefer the drilled out breville basket cause it has smaller holes, but the size is the same. 51 it is then!