Thread: Breville es800...funny tasting coffee

Breville es800...funny tasting coffee

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi!
    Im new here and pretty new to making delicious coffee at home! I bought a Breville es800 machine about 4 months ago and got the grinder with it. Ive been really happy with the coffee it produces, after a bi of playing around, my coffees are yum :) But on the weekend my coffee has started tasting funny. I bought new beans, did a little clean but its still not right. Not sure of its burning it or if I need to do a better cleaning job...
    Any suggestions would be awesome as Im no expert!
    Thanks!

Re: Breville es800...funny tasting coffee

Very hard to help.

What is the funny taste? bitter / sour / acrid

What beans are you using what grinder etc.

If your coffee tastes burned then maybe its too hot. I havent heard of too much burned coffee from the 800 though. If it is, try turning on the brew cycle so water water flows from the shower screen for about 5 seconds before inserting the handle and extracting to remove the super heated water in the thermoblock.
    Might just need a descale though, get some descaler for an aluminum thermoblock, run it through as per Breville instructions and see if that helps.

Thanks for the replies!
    I have given the machine a good clean and bought myself some more new beans... And I think my issue was the beans. I use Campos beans which are my favorite! But I think I got a bad batch. After buying new beans I compared and even the smell of the 2 bags was completely different. It was a brand new bag, only opened on the weekend for the first time... Is it possible to get bad beams and am I in a position to return them. Theres definitely something funny about them.
    Thanks again for your help. I think I will get some descaler that you recommended as well, an clean it properly.
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by 2423257777747577460 link=1312161697/3#3 date=1312329015
    I use Campos beans which are my favorite! But I think I got a bad batch.
    aha! So it wasnt just me.. seems Campos distributed a bad batch to a lot of places in the last 2 weeks. I know what you mean by burnt and funny tasting because thats exactly how I wouldve described it too.