Thread: Ambrogina spare parts?

Ambrogina spare parts?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Does anyone know where I could get spares for an electric Ambrogina? Only minor fixes needed - led in on/off switch has blown and filler plug rubber needs replacing.* Web search turns up nothing. Considering that it has been sitting in the back of the cupboard for 20 years, it is still making surprisingly drinkable coffee. Id be grateful for any leads.

KJM

Re: Ambrogina spare parts?

Wow - someone else with an Ambrogina!

The seal is a square section O-ring. If you take the cap with you to someone who sells O-rings, youll be laughing. I cant remember where I bought my 6 spares, but they cost me next to nothing. Id offer to send you one, but I bought them 20 years ago (ish) and time has not been kind to them. They are junk - slightly hard and riddled with cracks... I suspect a decent sized O-ring will work too. Youd need to get one that doesnt fit into the groove in the cap though, I think.

There is no LED on mine, it is a neon ;) I dont know if the standard-ish neons you get from the likes of Jaycar would fit, but Id give it a go.

My Ambrogina suffered a terrible fate - got left on (well, it got pushed back into a corner and the switch got pressed on by the cord...). I dont know who makes the heating elements but theyre good. The element never blew, but the machine itself split!

So mine (red) has a 50mm wide bare aluminium stripe up one side where it got TIG welded >:(

Still works, but it is more of a historical curiosity in the KJM household.

Wow. Its been at least 10 years since the word "Ambrogina" has been uttered around here!

Cheers
    /Kevin

Im curious what they look like, google returns no pics. Any chance of upoading a photo?

KJM

Hmmm. Ill have to (a) find out which box it is in currently, and (b) charge the camera ;D

Coming up!

/Kevin

KJM,* many thanks for the tips, much appreciated. I should have thought of an O-ring, but then people on CS seem to know where to find almost anything coffee related.* While an illuminated switch is unimportant in one sense - I was fearing a fate similar to yours if ON was not obvious - it fires like a cracker - especially as the second generation of coffee lovers may make use of said machine.

Firepower, mine is garaged out of immediate reach but Ill post a photo when I can, probably in a week or two

I must say that when I first used my Ambrogina, maybe 25-30 years ago, I could not get a decent shot. But having since used much more expensive equipment, I now know the role of the coffee, the grind and the tamp.* ;)

KJM

For those who are puzzled as what the heck an "Ambrogina" is, it is (essentially) a somewhat less stylish "Atomic" with its own electric heater in the thing.

I will put a photo up, but it wasnt in the box Mrs. KJM said it was in. So I need to figure out where it is without using up too many brownie points...

/Kevin

thanks for the description,
    Ludwici sell all the o-rings, if used in hot water or steam must be EPDM or silicon (expensive)

KJM

Buna-N O-rings (the default ones..) will be fine for the thing I think. They are rated for 120C or so and the case/body doesnt get that hot. Ideally, a higher temperature rating would be better though.

/Kevin