Thread: Cafe Roma losing pressure

Cafe Roma losing pressure

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    A few weeks ago, I noticed the steamer seemed quieter, and it is definitely taking longer to steam the same quantity of milk.

During this week, I suddenly had to coarsen my grind significantly in order to get a decent flow of coffee. Nothing else has changed; same beans, and same grind setting, but all of a sudden I was getting nothing but a few drips.

The machine is a Cafe Roma ESP8B and is a few years old. It has been working fine up until recently brewing 1 to 2 cups daily, but Im thinking now that something is on its way out.

Being new to the coffee scene, Im not sure where to start looking. From my quick laymans look inside the machine, nothing obvious is amiss, but I was wondering where I should start looking?

Re: Cafe Roma losing pressure

Well, to follow this issue up, all is back to normal now.

It seems the problem was a combination of beans and machine scale. I was given a pack of "McDonalds" beans to try recently. Interestingly, with these beans, I am now back at my original finer setting. In fact, now Ive fine-tuned it, Im now grinding finer than I have so far in my short coffee career! My smart grinder has only 2 clicks left. What was a little strange about the last beans I used however, was that they suddenly went from a certain grind to a much coarser one literally overnight. They were supposedly a few weeks old, but Im sure these McDonalds beans arent as fresh, and theyre grinding much finer with a decent pour. Weird.

The steamer seems to be back to its original self after I gave the machine a de-scaling. I originally performed this for the first time about 2 months ago, which was a couple of months after I began the venture into "serious" coffee. The steam pressure is much better now, and I now have to re-visit my steaming technique, as the temperature comes up much faster now! Ive read youre supposed to de-scale monthly, but I figured with my 1-2 cups per day max, I could probably go longer. Seems not to be the case!

Anyhow, crisis averted. If in doubt, try a de-scale and different beans!

Glad it figured it out for itself!

Are you using single wall filters?

Now you should go for the naked portafilter mod and be sure youre getting a spot on pour each time! Helps if you have a spare portafilter to do this mod, as you might just want to pour to 2 cups at some stage.

What did you use to de-scale? Ive not descaled in 2 years and have not had issues, but use filtered water.

With respect to the steam, for cleaner steam leave the heater on for a bit by turning the dial half way to steam - no steam should come out, but the heater should switch on. Dont forget about it though, it does only take a minute to heat up to the desired level.

Yes, single wall filter.

To de-scale I used a product from Harvey Norman called "Espresso Machine Descaler" funnily enough. It comes in a pink bottle, about 500mL. Perhaps my issue is due to the local water here, as Im currently using tap water.

Thanks for the steamer tip, will give that a try with my afternoon coffee.

I must give the naked PF a go too some time. Id be interested to see how consistent (or not) my preparation is!