Thread: coffee machine cleaning

coffee machine cleaning

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,
    have just bought a Saeco Via Venezia & hoping someone may help regarding keeping it clean .
    should i be back flushing this machine using a blind filter & water/chemicals
    or is that not the best way with these machines ?

also should i use tap water for brewing or is filtered water better ?

regards
    Greg

Re: coffee machine cleaning

Enjoy your V.V., Greg; theyre a great little machine. Ive got one at home (with a depressurized portafilter) and another in the office (standard portafilter).

I used filtered water in my machine at home because Im told this helps slow down the build up of micro-particles inside the unit, and I flush it every few months with descaling solution using the regular brewing cycle. The office V.V. uses regular tap water (but it hasnt been around long enough to know whether this causes any real difference in terms of cleaning).

Ive found it necessary to occasionally manually clean out both the shower screen and the basket from time to time using a sewing needle (!) as some of the holes have become firmly blocked with coffee build-up that no amount of flushing will remove.

thanks for the advice, will get myself some descaling solution.
    have just de pressurised the pf so now its time to practise making some decent shots :)
    cheers

Descaling is a great idea.

All you really need is vinegar though ... if you use a non-food standard descaler you will get a bad taste that might take a while to get rid of - not to mention bad teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by 636862737469060 link=1313284122/3#3 date=1315525181
    Descaling is a great idea.

All you really need is vinegar though ... if you use a non-food standard descaler you will get a bad taste that might take a while to get rid of - not to mention bad teeth!
    Descaling is a great idea, but I would suggest buying a product designed to actually do it rather than using vinegar.
    Why spend hundreds (or thousands) of dollars on your equipment and then try to save a few bucks on keeping it in good shape?

Taking a while to flush it through is part of the point. Making sure you pass enough water through to do the proper job.

I think that some people dont really appreciate how much you need to flush through to do the job to a useful standard.

Using vinegar will just mean it will have a vinegar taint rather than the descale solution.

If you flush it through correctly, there will be no taint.

Brett.