Thread: EM5600 blocking up

EM5600 blocking up

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi there, havent been on here before but Im driven to desparation... our Sunbeam EM5600 has been going fine for a few years - replaced the brew head seal last year and again a week or so ago, but since putting it back together, it will only pour a few mLs of coffee before hot water starts to escape out the side, between seal and portafilter. Its as though the seal isnt working or something. Ive checked the seal several times but cant figure out anything different to how I screwed it in before. Any suggestions?

Re: EM5600 blocking up

have you tried it without having coffee in the basket?

yes Ive tried it without coffee, does the same thing - so nothing to do with coffee tamp/grind.

It could be one of many reasons: Pick the one that suits you the most:

It could be that youre not locking it in far enough (where is it at the moment? 6 oclock, 5 oclock etc)

The plastic collar is worn - I had to replace mine because it actually cracked under pressure.

Basket is clogged. Are you using dual wall baskets?
    Theres a chance that the baskets are clogged and building up excessive pressure causing it to leak everywhere.

If you have access to a different basket that doesnt get used much (ie single cup basket), try loading it without any coffee and see if it happens.

Bought a brand new EM5600 and have only had a few coffees without the head spurting out under pressure. Sunbeam said the blend was too fine. So have spent $30 on 3 different blends and bang it explodes out each time. Im bloody sick of it. Its only 2 weeks old. Suggestions please Mr Sunbeam :(

Its more likely to be that the GRIND is too fine.
    Little or nothing to do with the blend.
    If you are grinding it, grind coarser.
    If you are not grinding it, you are fighting a losing battle, but perhaps you can put less coffee in the basket and see if that helps.
    You really need to be grinding it yourself to have any control though.

Brett.

I have similar problems with my EM5600. I bought in Sept 2010. Put up with problem from day 1 {tried many suggestions - grind, cleaning etc}. Sometimes could make really good coffee, then not. A month or so ago the pump would not turn off by its switch {had to turn off at power point}. So exchanged for new machine {Sunbeam were quite good about it}. New machine works great for 2 weeks and now back to pressure escaping once again. Ready to throw it in the bin. I am a novice but have played with grind, thought about humidity {barista suggestion}, I have flushed machine after each use from first purchase. I have tried less coffee in the basket. I reckon there is a production fault with the seal where you attach the basket. if only it did not have this problem it would otherwise be a great machine considering the price. Any other suggestions from readers? If I upgrade what machine would readers suggest to consider? :(