Thread: Breville BES820 being sold on evilbay for $166 delivered?

Breville BES820 being sold on evilbay for $166 delivered?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, 1st post, I have a Sunbeam Ristretto(EM2300)/EM0480 setup for a couple of years (gotta start somewhere...) and have been looking around for a moderate upgrade (6910 or BES 800 series) and saw a listing on evilbay for a BES820 for $166 delivered.*

Full retail is usually around $380 to $550 so I initially thought "Bargain!", then I thought, "Scam?".* Has anyone else seen the BES820 for less than $200?

Re: Breville BES820 being sold on evilbay for $166 delivered?

Quote Originally Posted by 405F584052370 link=1313997807/0#0 date=1313997807
    Hi all, 1st post, I have a Sunbeam Ristretto(EM2300)/EM0480 setup for a couple of years (gotta start somewhere...) and have been looking around for a moderate upgrade (6910 or BES 800 series) and saw a listing on evilbay for a BES820 for $166 delivered.*

Full retail is usually around $380 to $550 so I initially thought "Bargain!", then I thought, "Scam?".* Has anyone else seen the BES820 for less than $200?
    Go in with your eyes wide shut?

a) Its said to be a factory second,
    b) Said to have sold 20 and has another 10 available (thats a lot of 2nds) yet doesnt have one bit of feedback from any customers.

I tell you what...Ill contact Brevilles Global Beverage Mgr and find out what he thinks. ;)

I actually did send the Breville Factory outlet an email alerting them of the "cheap" 820.* Have yet to receive a reply, the seller has sold 29 of the units with apparently one left.* Seller has zero feedback as they only registered on 18th August.

Has dodgy written all over it.

I though it is ebay policy that you are not allowed to sell more than 1 quantity of the same item in the same post until you have received at least 10 +ve feedbacks in a row for at least 3 months or less.

Maybe the rule has been relaxed for the worst since I last posted.

You can always email the seller to find out more about them and their operation.

I received an email from evilbay this morning informing me that the listing had been removed from their site by the Loss Prevention Department.
    "Thank you for your bid on the following listing:

220837473424 - Breville Professional Espresso Coffee2 Machine2 BES820

However, eBay has had to remove the listing. All bids or offers have been cancelled. Also, we recommend that you consider carefully whether to complete this transaction.

We hope you understand that due to privacy reasons were unable to discuss the details of why this listing was ended.

*Important*
    We strongly recommend that you do not go ahead with the purchase however if you have already paid for this item but havent received it, you need to act quickly to get your money back.

- Contact your bank to stop payment if you paid by cheque or bank deposit.

- Contact your credit card company if you paid by credit card.

- If you paid with PayPal, you may be eligible for up to $20,000 in PayPal Buyer Protection. To file a dispute go to the Resolution Centre in My eBay and click on I havent received it yet or I received an item that does not match the sellers description."

I had bid and won the item but had no intention in paying until Id received a reply to a question I sent tthe seller, and a response from the Breville factory outlet.* I wonder how many of the 29 other buyers had paid?

I bought a 800es for $30 delivered yesterday!

Cancelled by ebay with the same message as above. You would be stupid not to pay with paypal.

If youre going to scam, why not try a low, but not ridiculously low selling price thats immediately going to arouse suspicion?

If you are going to scam why not try both? :p

In the end I managed to pick up a 3 year old Breville 800ES for $100 locally.* Lets hope its an upgrade from the crusty old, Sunbeam EM2300 (with non pressurised basket) and EM0480 Grinder combo.
    A mate has collected the machine (its in Devonport) and will be dropping it off to me in Launceston next week, lets hope it works...

Hmmmm, after reading pages and pages on the 800ES and its limitations Im wondering if I actually picked up a bargain...This could be another of lifes lessons.

heh heh, in my opinion I would skip the 800 and 820, and go straight for the 860.

In other news, my new machine has just arrived so Ill shortly be selling my beloved 820... :) Oops I just told you not to buy it!