Thread: EM3600 advice

EM3600 advice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all
    Im new here, but Ive been lurking for a couple of weeks, since my fiancee went and bought a EM3600 without discussing it with me!
    So of course, weve already had some problems with the first one we had (steam explosion) and have now got a replacement machine.

From what Ive seen on this website, theres two main recs to get the most out of this machine:

1. buy unpressurised baskets; and
    2. buy a grinder.

I want to start on 1, because Im not super sure about 2. From what I understand, Krups model MS0907163 (double basket) is the way to go.

What I would like, is some advice about where to acquire these for a decent price in Melbourne! :) I called one place and they wanted $22 for it!!!

All suggestions welcome, thank you.

Also, if you have any advice about a decent but cheap grinder, that would be great. My understanding is that I just have to suck it up and buy an exy grinder.

Thank you!

Re: EM3600 advice

You can get the baskets from site sponsor Pullman Espresso. What about a Breville Smart grinder, it should suit any future upgrades that you will undoubtedly fall foul of.

Both of these items are very important if you want to make good coffee, especially the grinder. You should also look at getting a tamper as the SB ones (fantastic plastic) are not worth a pinch.

G.

I just bought a 51mm unpressurised filter basket for my crusty Sunbeam EM2300 from site sponsor Uro Coffee, cost $25 delivered which I thought was reasonable.* I have a Sunbeam EM0480 burr grinder as well, the EM0450 is almost the same but with a plastic casing and a few less features.

I spent last night trying to adjust the grind for the new basket, havent got there yet but will keep playing, its all part of the journey, Im just taking baby steps.

Do get yourself a tamper, you will probably need a 51-52mm version and these can cost anywhere from $25 to $150.

Also, if the steam wand has the black rubber "foam enhancer", bin it, its thoroughly useless.

Thanks for the responses.

Pullman is currently out of stock, so Ill check out Uro.

Re: grinder - I ended up getting one as a present over the weekend - its a DeLonghi KG100 ... maybe not amazing, but Im going to use this machine/grinder combo to work on my skills, I guess...!

No foam enhancer as far as I can tell...

Yep, lots...
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1292120581/0#0

Alternatively, you could spend the 20 minutes it takes to cut the bottom out of the standard Dual wall baskets. If you have a small Dremel type cutting/drilling device, that is. I think I spotted somewhere in the threads someone was offering the service of removing the bottoms on the standard baskets also?

I think also, that the Breville Unpressurised baskets fit the Sunbeam 51mm portafilters (well, given that theyre almost exactly the same handpiece, its not surprising really) so it might be worth giving them a query also