Thread: How do you deal with the crap low-end portafilters?

How do you deal with the crap low-end portafilters?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    The low-end Sunbeam Im using has these little plastic nozzles on the bottom of the portafilter.

Im trying to tamp with appropriate force and until the other day was simply removing the basket and tamping the basket so I didnt damage the nozzles (any further).

But now Im using the BCG800 grinder and grinding directly into the portafilter, making it difficult to take out the basket, tamp and replace.

Ive had some success pressing the lip of the portafilter against the sink to provide resistance, but have already had one flying-coffee accident.

How does everyone else deal with tamping with low-quality portafilters?

Re: How do you deal with the crap low-end portafilters?

I guess if you just want to spread the load across the whole bottom side of the portafilter while tamping, you could use a folded-up handtowel or teatowel on the kitchen bench?

Buy a separate rest for tamping

KK

would a piece of wood with a groove or holes drilled in it for the spouts work?

You could try a tamping mat or even fold a teatowel a few times over to provide a partially cushioned base.

In my low end EM2300, I recently unscrewed and removed the black plastic within the PF.* The black plastic is connected to the small openings for the espresso to pour out of.* The plastic, from my understanding, is designed to insulate the espresso from the metal PF during extraction.* If you warm your machine up, it shouldnt really be needed. When I removed mine, there was accumulated grime beneath so I wasnt keen to put it back. I snipped off the part the screw goes into and replaced the screw so now he expresso pours out of the metal holes.

If youre using the dual wall basket, tamp pressure is less important. In my limited experience, the single wall baskets need to be dialled in for grind size and tamp pressure.

yep i just used a small offcut of hardwood , used a spade bit and made 2 x 3/4 inch holes, sanded ,polished with some bbq trolley stain , put some non skid stops under the block.
    works well and looks ok on the bench :)

Thanks everyone - I reckon the block of wood approach is a good one.

@MrBill - I like this idea too, I might pull out the plastic and see how it goes. Its a borrowed machine, so I dont want to modify too heavily.

I am using the Krups non-pressurised basket. Its improved things somewhat, but am still having trouble finding the right grind size - the holes in this thing are huge!

@fman - that sounds awesome, would love to see a pic!

If you pull out the plastic base but want to keep it, youll need top block up the screw hole with something else; food grade silicon or a rubber grommit of some type. Others elsewhere within these forums have done the same modification.

I think the lower end Sunbeams have a chrome plated alluminium PF, the slightly higher models (eg EM5600) have chrome plated brass. All seem to be 51mm except the 6910 which is 58mm.